Rusty Fuel Tank

urednecku

I'm still using the ol' mule my late Dad bought around 1990. Still runs great, with very few repairs in the years past. But as usual, after ~20 years, (not to mention the 'better' gasoline we are getting now) the gas tank has a fair lining of rust.
Has anybody used any of the "liquid tank liners" lately, or have a suggestion? I'd like to take care of it before it causes bigger problems than clogging the filter.

Thanks!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Larry, I've never tried any of them myself. I hear a lot of people have good success with the liquid liners.

Mark777

I've used the Kreem on motorcycle tanks and it works like a champ!

But, it ain't cheap (about $50 for the three part chemicals)...

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I used red cote like I said but given the option I would have bought the new tank. I only had only one option.

urednecku

Thanks, guys. I'll do the Kreme. Until I get time, I'll be putting on an "old reliable" - the old-time glass settlement bowl & see if it'll help keep the crap -and water- outta the carb. It would help if they would keep water outta the gasoline to start with-- but with the amount of alcohol in it, that ain't gonna happen, is it.

TraderMark

I've used a product called Ospho with great success against rust.
You can buy it a Ace Hardware.

It's actually phosphoric acid mostly. The phosphoric acid reacts with iron oxide(rust) on the metal to cause a chemical reaction that turns the rust into iron phosphate.

Pour the Ospho into your tank, slosh it around so that all six side are welled coated, then pour out the excess. Let it dry completely, then clean out the tank and you shouldn't have to worry about rust ever again.

Hope this helps.

Mark

urednecku

TraderMark, thanks for the hint. I have used some of the Ospho, but used it mostly for a primer before painting something rusty. Haven't thought about using it in a fuel tank. Have you tried it, does it hold up in a gasoline tank?

I do have the settlement bowl installed, but not long enough to tell if it's doing what I need it to yet. But I'll be using it at the Florida Flywheeler's show this week, so should know within a week or so.

BTW, TraderMark, welcome to the forum!

TraderMark

Thanks for the welcome!

I've not used it in gasoline, but I have done several diesel tanks with it and it holds up well. I also built a water tank for a portable pressure washer years ago and used Ospho after I'd finished all the welding. The last time I heard from the guy, the tank was 8 years old and he'd never had a problem with any rust out of it.

Mark

urednecku

Sounds like the cheapest -and easiest- "fix" yet. It'll probably be a week or 2 before I get a chance to work on it, but think that I'll give it a try. Thanks again!!