Thinking of upgrading

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I might be thinking to much but .....lately I have been weighing my options for upgrading my RTV 900.

I would sell my 2006 with 850 hours (last I looked) and look for a newer version or maybe an 1140 that would have the bigger dump bed and would haul more people.

Nothing to lose if I put mine up for sale and it does not sell, no problem as I'm happy with it ...and it's doing the jobs I need done. I'm simply wanting a little more utility that an 1140 could give me. My concern is the wheel base of the 1140 being longer would it bottom out on some of my creek crossings that I have to traverse.

Or I would go with a newer version of the 900 ....or maybe an 1100. at the moment I do not want to deal with doors of the full cab all the time. But in the winter they sure would come in handy. Do the 1100 doors come off for spring / summertime and fall rides?

I have not seen anyone else go for an upgrade other than Border Collie an she had over 4k hours on hers. The way she uses hers daily to run her farm we can all understand that upgrade.

Mine is not as much of a need, since my hours are still considerably low, as a want. So I'm looking for the pluses and minues of upgrading, and your thoughts. thx in advane.

ccmdvl1960

Highly recommend the 1140. We have the original, non X series version that we bought used.
The new X1140 looks to have some nice improvements (redesigned ROPS and better seats). Our 1140 goes everywhere our old Mule 2510 went, which was the same size as an RTV900. There is a nice Curtis hard cab available for the X1140 (big $$$). We have the Original Tractor Cab soft cab for our old 1140 that I take off in the summer. We use our machine every day n the winter and the cab is nice to keep the weather off of us. I also have the factory Kubota plastic top which can work with the OTC soft cab.

I'm not sure where you are in OH, but there is a clean looking used 1140 on the Cleveland Craigslist: https://cleveland.craigslist.org/snw/6048299521.html
They're asking too much, but it might be worth a call and/or look.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 114

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks CC!!! That is a nice 1140. They did say obo ...just not sure how much they'd come down. I have no clue how much these were when new in 2013.
But, while I love gathering data on the 1140 it's early for me to even think about shopping . First I'd have to see if anyone is interested in mine for 6k or so. With a little warm weather I'll be able to wash her and clean her up so she's looking her best. And make the final decision that I want t pursue that route.

For what it's worth, I'm south of Marietta in south eastern Ohio. 3 hours from Cleveland. But if in the market I will travel to buy the right RTV. Thx

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Doc,

Life is short - get yourself a new 1140. I've been drooling over one of these or the 1120 for a year now. But my Uncle informed me that he has to sell his Kubota BX 2230 and I am seriously considering it. My 9n simply won't do some things safely on our hilly land.

We have the same concern about the 1140. The ground clearance is an inch shorter in the rear than the 1120 but its the same as our Foreman.

I a couple of folks on here advised me, Allpower over at Athens would probably let you bring one home for an afternoon to try on your creek crossings. They might also give you a nice trad-in value since they will need inventory for spring.

The enjoyment and reliability you would get from a new machine and more seats and a larger bed would make it worth it IMHO.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for your thoughts on this PawPaw Grower. I feel about trading in an RTV much like I do a car dealer. I'd come out on the losing end and it would cost me a few grand more in the long run. I got time, and still deciding so I'll sell on my own first, then go in with cash to buy. Most likely find a nearly new babied RTV. I hate the new depreciation. These Kubotas are so dependable that I'm not concerned with dependability of my 06 RTV 900 or my 02 Grand L 3010. Both run great.

I had an 8N 1952 version and know what you are going through with the 9N. I got myself in some downright scary predicaments. On the hills in this part of Ohio do yourself a favor and snatch up that BX if possible. you'd be very glad you did. Especially if it has a backhoe along with it. Good luck.

ccmdvl1960

Thanks CC!!! That is a nice 1140. They did say obo ...just not sure how much they'd come down. I have no clue how much these were when new in 2013.
But, while I love gathering data on the 1140 it's early for me to even think about shopping . First I'd have to see if anyone is interested in mine for 6k or so. With a little warm weather I'll be able to wash her and clean her up so she's looking her best. And make the final decision that I want t pursue that route.

For what it's worth, I'm south of Marietta in south eastern Ohio. 3 hours from Cleveland. But if in the market I will travel to buy the right RTV. Thx

IIRC, when we were looking in 2013, a new RTV 1140 CPX worksite was $15k list. The camo model is always a few hundred more. We bought our 2009 1140 worksite with 712 hours for $9900 in January 2014 from our Kubota dealer. We added the roof, cab, and Line-x on the bumper and entire bed, and Curtis plow.

For that camo 1140 in Cleveland, it looks like it has 779 hours. I'd say $10,500-11,500 would probably be realistic.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: Thanks AG. Damn. Now you got me thinking and that is a scary scary thing. My wife is worried. LOL :yum:

ovrszd

I share your thoughts concerning a hard cab. Being a Jeep guy, I like versatility. I'd want to be able to easily remove doors and front/rear windshields.

I, like you, can get by without a cab because I'm not forced to use the machine daily. But I sure drooled for a cab a couple months ago. Today, not so much. :)

I also agree with your plan of selling then buying rather than trading with a dealer. I understand the dealer has to keep the lights on so they must have a profit. I just prefer to not support that any more than I have to. :)

Looking forward to hearing your story on this quest!!!!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
:wow: Thanks AG. Damn. Now you got me thinking and that is a scary scary thing. My wife is worried. LOL :yum:

The question I would ask first is what happened. If low coolant, it could be a leaking hose or radiator which I would prefer. If low oil it could foretell a lack of maintenance and I'd want to know more about how it was taken care of and it's service history. My 04 900 has about the same hours and it burns essentially no oil between changes so I theoretically never need to check the oil. I do everytime I use it though.

The engine is not a concern but I'd like a better idea of the service history on the trans and hydraulic systems.

IAC, If I were looking for a 1140 I'd strongly consider looking deeply into this one. The good news is the seats and other visible parts seem to be in good nick so it doesn't appear to be beaten to within an inch of it's life.

My wife worries about having nothing to worry about at times so a little concern about an RTV purchase would keep her from that concern.

Avanti (Italian for Forward)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Avantiguy, I noticed how nice the seat was.. mine is split on the edge from where I sit as I acquired 3.100 hours so think the hours stated are real. I would think from the looks of the outside that it was probably shedded .. If I were closer , I'd give it a looky and have the fellow tell me eye to eye the transmission was ok.
I don't need another one anyway but, man, what a a good deal if you can do your own work. collie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I drove my RTV 900 that has been so good to me for the first time since starting this thread. I felt guilty for even thinking of selling her. She's been so good, so useful and has so much life left in her. Hmmmmmm I was not expecting that feeling. LOL

ovrszd

I totally understand. I rarely sell anything.

If money allows, maybe consider buying a newer/better RTV? Then have both for a little while until it becomes more comfortable to sell the older machine??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL We think alike. I've considered two RTV's instead of an 1140. More fun, and two toys / workhorses. But that would first involve building another garage. My pole barn and double garage are full to the hilt. So ....maybe I'll price a new garage. lol just kidding. That's been on my list awhile. All it will take is a winning lotery ticket and I don' even buy the silly things so not much chance of that happening. Oh well. I get by. No complaints.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I feel like the fact that you are the admin of this wonderful site Kubota should keep your
garage stocked with a rotating assortment of toys... tools so you can offer real feedback to your loyal listeners and fellow Kubota enthusiasts!