Who else has a ZTR?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just wondering if anyone else on here has a ZTR (aka zero turn mower).
I have a Scag and love it. However it is a few years old now, and I understand there is a place to adjust the handles so that they power the wheels the same for both sides (since each wheel is independently driven).
IOW if I'm going full speed mine is drifting to one side which indicates one side is going faster than the other. I know there is an adjustment for this, but I don't know where it is, or how hard it is to do.
Has anyone had to make this adjustment on their ZTR?

Mith

Doc, you didnt mention what model you had, but you can download the manual from here which might have the information on how to adjust it that you need. The parts manual will atleast give you an indication of where to look to adjust it.

I've never owned a zero turn, but I have used one, and boy was it fun :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum:

Once in awhile my wife would wear her Scag hat when she mowed (we both got a hat when we purchased our Scag). I would kid her about it. Now she doesn't mow at all. :pat: I don't think the Scag kidding had anything to do with it, I thought the novelty of the ZTR just wore off. Maybe it was a little of both. :hide: :hide2:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not that I've noticed. Course I've been to busy looking at this 21" screen. :pat:

Wannafish

Not that I've noticed. Course I've been to busy looking at this 21" screen. :pat:

Did you transpose your numbers?
Just kidding...do you have Vista yet so you can have multiple windows open like the demo shows? (And gosh...I thought you could do that with any of the Windows versions!)

My son is an Engineer at the same company I work at - his latest monitor is 28". Heck, I don't know what to do with this huge 15" monitor they gave me.

But I would like a ZTR...!

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dell was supposed to send me Vista last month. Thanks for the reminder. I have no plans to load it right away, unless it is on a test system.

I don't need a 28" monitor ...but we are going with multiple monitors so that you can drag your mouse from one monitor to the other. That's kinda cool.
One guy here has a 48" plasma on order to display performance stats. It's supposed to go up over his desk. So it will be a clone to his primary monitor. That's even a bit much for me. :eek:

B

bczoom

OK, I'll save fishing and monitors for another thread.

I have a ZTR as well, but mine is a joystick control so (as far as I know), there's no adjustment.

I was leaning strongly towards the Scag but part of the sale was I needed to try a demo at my house first. I have hilly terrain and no ZTR that was brought out could hold them. I told the Scag dealer I'd buy it on the spot (at my house) if it would hold the hills but he wouldn't do it. I made the offer to a Country Clipper dealer. He brought one out, it worked, I wrote a check and it was a done deal.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I mowed yesterday and paid particular attention to the slopes I mow. I need to take some pics to show the size of the slopes I do regularly with my ZTR. Nothing real impressive, but it would help give ZTR shoppers an idea of what terrain they can expect a ZTR to handle.
Brian, if you think of it take a few pics of your slopes / hills that you mow with the ZTR and we'll make a thread of it.
Hows that sound?

B

bczoom

Brian, if you think of it take a few pics of your slopes / hills that you mow with the ZTR and we'll make a thread of it.
Hows that sound?
Will do. I'll need a couple days of drying first. Hmmm, I don't even know if I can get off my ZTR at those angles to take the pic.

B

bczoom

OK,
This picture gives an idea of the max hill I can do when mowing across the hill.
When under those larger pines, I need to go straight up and down. In that area, the front of the mower is just kind of floating and the tires are barely touching.

Attachments

• CIMG0511s.JPG
    CIMG0511s.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 27

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pic Brian. I didn't mean the Zero Turn had to be in the picture .... that does look like a very precarious hill to stop, dismount and remount on.

B

bczoom

This one is where the other mowers lost it. They would just slide down the hill.

Attachments

• CIMG0507s.JPG
    CIMG0507s.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 19

Mith

Brian, you are definately a braver man than I. I just dont trust those ZTRs to hold themselves on hills, the swively wheels on the front do nothing to hold them on the hills.
Give me a tractor with duals any day.

You cant be far off the working limit of the engine on those slopes......

By the looks of the first pic might there have been a case of drink driving going on? :D

B

bczoom

Brian, you are definately a braver man than I. I just dont trust those ZTRs to hold themselves on hills, the swively wheels on the front do nothing to hold them on the hills.
Give me a tractor with duals any day.
Agreed that the front wheels don't do much. The hyd on the rear tires is the key. Actually, prior to the ZTR, I used a garden tractor (18 HP Simplicity) on that same hill. With that tractor, I had to pretty much do the whole hill going straight up and down (very time consuming). Even then, the front end of the tractor got very light (enough where the tires would come off the ground on the slightest bump) so it wasn't much different.

You cant be far off the working limit of the engine on those slopes......
My ZTR has a 23 HP twin-cyl. Power to climb the hills is never an issue. It doesn't even bog down. As long as I don't flip over backwards, it'll climb any hill without any problems.

By the looks of the first pic might there have been a case of drink driving going on? :D
Not me... :tiphat: