Rtv-x seats suck

texrdnec

Had to replace my seats after a single month and now, 3 months later they've started to crack again

Mine isn't garaged but I do armor-all them

I guess I'll wait until my warranty is about to expire and have them replaced again but this is bullshit, I can't believe how bad they are

I've had the seats on my '04 recovered twice, the second of which was last month... In 11 years!

Anybody else having this luck?

poke

Had to replace my seats after a single month and now, 3 months later they've started to crack again

I guess I'll wait until my warranty is about to expire and have them replaced again but this is bullshit, I can't believe how bad they are

I've had the seats on my '04 recovered twice, the second of which was last month... In 11 years!

Mine has been out in the weather for a year almost, no problem. No garage, rain for sure, definitely rural. NO armor-all. Cats spraying more likely.

Which leads to the question: What kind of air do you have over there????

Being a capitalist entity they (Kubota) may well have switched to CHEAPER plastic. Maybe they want to go green & biodegrade real fast?
Do you keep your rig in the SHADE?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang. 2 seat covers in 4 months?!?!?

My 2004 RTV is garaged but it still has the original. I do worry at times about the dog claws ripping when she jumps on it but so far, not a single rip. I hope I didn't just curse myself.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
mine sits outside 24/7 although the seats are in the cab. no cracks at all. maybe its the armor all causing a reaction??

texrdnec

First set - lined up nicely, I figured somebody at the dealership left a drop light there too long or it got overspray of something on it

this set - cracking the same in different places and I know they haven't gotten hot there or had anything on them

texrdnec

the inside edges of the backs are the same general place as the first set but now I've got a runner starting on the drivers side bottom seat as well

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
They should be better than that! Hate you are having that kind of problem. Mine too sits outside all the time in the sun and elements for close to a year now with no problems on my rtvx1100c.

OrangeBuggy

Armor-all well crack vinyl if you just spray and wipe. Armor-all well tell you to spray a cloth and rub it in so this doesn't happen. Guys around here say to use "Super Gloss" and this won't happen. Haven't used it myself yet but am going to get some to try. We well see and hope for the best.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it might be my imagination and could just be the light in the photo but my seats are more of a grey color than yours. i wonder if Kubota changed the formula for their seats. also i would expect Kubota to stand behind a seat only a few month old as long as their wasn't any abuse.

poke

Strangely localized phenomenon. Could there have been transfer from someones hazmat suit ? someone wearing exotic cosmetics? Spilling strong drink?
Focussed radiation?
Could be Kubota(s subcontractor) fell victim to a batch of counterfeit / contaminated plastic. though I would expect the failure pattern to be more random.

Art454

I bet it is the Armor doing it. People with classic cars have had the same problem. I use Meguiar's Professional Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner....#40 and never had a problem with it the last 25 years.

I have seen your pictures and seen the same on classic cars that used Armor on the dash of cars.
Hope this helps when you get new ones.

Art454

First set - lined up nicely, I figured somebody at the dealership left a drop light there too long or it got overspray of something on it

this set - cracking the same in different places and I know they haven't gotten hot there or had anything on them

I also spray the Meguiar'r on the towel then apply. My son used the Armor on his Mustang seats and he had cracks on it...I told him not to use it but he got cheap and the Meguiar's is more money and harder to find....He said I should have listen to dad. But you know kids.....lol. Bad thing I told him and he knows what I used on my classics. It could also be Kubota got some cheaper material as well. Seems like you can't buy anything now days that last.
Hope you have better luck in the future tho and I would tell the dealership to tell the Kubota rep what is going on incase the new ones last after the warranty is over.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
it might be my imagination and could just be the light in the photo but my seats are more of a grey color than yours. i wonder if Kubota changed the formula for their seats. also i would expect Kubota to stand behind a seat only a few month old as long as their wasn't any abuse.

The material on my seats are grey and these look to be black in color. I agree with aurthuritis that maybe Kubota has changed the material used in covering the seats.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Ammonia will kill vinyl. Using silicone gasket maker...which has that ammonia smell … off-gases ammonia during the cure. It will kill nearby vinyl and plastic/acrylic/lexan windows. Windex glass cleaner... usually has ammonia. Kills headlight lenses, plastic windows, vinyl seats, etc. (Windex does make a non-ammonia also but it's not common.)
Using/Hauling ammonia fertilizers? Kills most upholstery plastics.
Armor-All kills some plastics. I don't use it because I don't want to try to keep up with which ones.
Simple Green is another questionable product that makes false claims. (Their Aircraft Cleaner which they claim has Air Force and Boeing approval for aircraft actually damages the AlClad surfaces of aircraft. The MilSpec they quote claiming it's appropriate for aircraft does not apply to surface-cleaning products at all but to electrical wiring with a particular type of "zeftel" insulation. It's misleading to indicate that it's safe for aircraft use because it can be used on aircraft wiring in a production facility...while knowing that owner/operators will assume that a cleaning-product company's products are intended for cleaning surfaces other than those specified in an obsure MilSpec to which few people have access.)

Meguiar's makes cleaners specifically for plastics including a polycarbonate windshield cleaner/polish.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
interesting old thread. i see that i posted in it years ago. just as a note my seats are original and have no cracking or damage and all i have used on them is the seat of my pants.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
My X900 drivers seat cracked along the left side then in a number of other places. It is 4 years old and 7,000 miles. It is garaged, never left in the sun and never coated with any of the vinyl treatments. I complained to Kubota and they agreed to replace the seat as long as paid the labor. They would not just send me the seat. I had my machine in for a recall so they did it then.