DK45 whine in reverse

BigAl

MY DK45 has just developed a new sound . A whine when I place the lever in reverse . It is the 12 speed tarnsmission . There seems to be no loss in power and it makes no noise in forward gears ??????? I changed the oil/hyd filter and it still does it . Should I be concerned ????

urednecku

New sounds always concern me, at least until I'm pretty sure what it is. I'd think a call to a decent mechanic is in order. Good luck, hope it's nothing!

BigAl

New sounds always concern me, at least until I'm pretty sure what it is. I'd think a call to a decent mechanic is in order. Good luck, hope it's nothing!
Yep . I agree . I talked with the Kioti Mechanic and I have checked everything he suggested . Back to square one ???

double check your fluid levels?
Checked and rechecked .... I am really baffled by this .

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
i am very sorry I even spoke. I did not mean to offend anyone.

You didn't ........... I own a 45 too and checked it out. All I was doing was saving Al some time, I happen to know his machine. I apologize for sounding crass ............ :confused2:

The problem in the reference turned more towards issues with the DK40SE, very few DK45SE's and then from 2008 -2011

Last edited:

BigAl

Found the problem .....

The needle bearings on the reverse shaft let go in the transmission . That destroyed the shaft and let the gear walk on top of the main gear on the main shaft .
Total damages is $500 for new parts . I have had to split the DK45 into two pieces . I'll also be replacing clutch and throw out bearing since its easy and I do not want to do this again . Total tear down time was about 7 hours and I figure 8 to put it back together .

This whole thing started out as a whine and I do not know anything that could have stopped it from happening . Once that bearing let go and started to squeal , I was done .:myopinion:

BigAl

Just a quick note on the finish and my suggestion . Always check the hydraulic level every day, keeping it at the full mark as this is the only lubing the roller bearing gets . It set very high in the transmission so if the oil is down a bit it may not get proper lube .

The tractor now runs great and is very smooth . Total parts cost with oil ,filters was about $800 .

Took about 8 hours to tear it down and about 12 to repair it . This was with 2 men working and we never slowed down . Not a job I hope to do again , any time soon .