Pucker Factor

river

Hello all -</p>

I've been reading posts here having to do with steepness of hills. I'm still new to my RTV 1100, and I wouldn't want to roll or tip it over. I was driving around in the back yard today and went up a hill (4wd, M range) carrying 200 lbs of 8' long pallets in the bed that hung over 3'. I later measured this hill as 18 degrees (protractor level on a 6' stick method), which converts to a 32.5% grade. I also have a 19 degree (34.4% and a 23 degree (42.4%). Am I OK going up the 23 degree hill? Has anyone actually measured what kind of grades are reasonable going up in forward, going up in reverse, or going sideways. Not sure, but the 1100 looks a bit more topheavy than the 900. I've included 3 pics showing my method. Comments?</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey River,</p>

I believe there's too many variables to define a true angle/degree before you tip.</p>

What's in the cargo bed, cab installed, passenger weight, lift-kits, options, tire width, etc. all factor into the machines center-of-gravity.</p>

There's been some occasions when I had a very strong pucker factor.</p>

What I've done at my place is to put the machine in a precarious place (a nice steep hill, parked sideways) then tie it off on the uphill side. (I used a 10K# strap around the top of my ROPS, then connected to a tree (or my tractor) on the uphill side. Enough slack was left in the strap to allow the RTV to tip onto 2 wheels, but not go over. I then try to tip it over.</p>

What I found (and this is just from my tests) is that although I had a strong pucker, the RTV was still firmly planted. I lifted, pushed, rocked... I still couldn't get the uphill tires to come off the ground.</p>

Now, those tests I did were with an empty RTV. Most of my pucker is when I have a full load (lets say 1000#) of wood in the box and come down a hill, sideways. I haven't tried my test under those situations (since I needed to hurry home to change my panties) but really need to do that to see if I'm in danger.</p>

[quote user="bczoom"] I haven't tried my test under those situations (since I needed to hurry home to change my panties) but really need to do that to see if I'm in danger.[/quote]</p>

I,ve got this image stuck in my head and I can't stop laughing :)</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
It's now 4:30 pm, Never received any emails from this forum.I also emailedmyself threw the forum. And neverreceived thing there either..... So, thinking it is not working proper. I can see one getting upset as to feeling like he is being ignored or shun >>></p>

On the RTV " roll-over " thing. I believe that we here has put one to the test on that. We have not turned one over yet. But, if it was going to happen, think it would of done rolled. As ya'll know, live very close to the Mississippi River, what, maybe some 1/4 - 1/2 mile away.... and you know that it has a levee running beside the river. That levee here is steep, and we have been up and down this thing, sideways, straight, back up it . up sideways and stop, just about any position it could be. But with that being said, we use common sense also. We don't act stupid on the levee. I've got my camera back from the farm this evening, and tomorrow, going to try to get some pics of the RTV on the levee, and show what kind of grade it is.... not knocking anybody elses hill, but the first picture that member river posted,that is childs play. Wait to you see some of these levees. And also, I have pulled my wifes Jayco pop-up camper up and down these levees many times bringing it to the River View Park Resort for her to camp in with her mother. Also, the RTV runs up that levee with that camper like it hardly anything behind it >>> Reason of going up the levee, saves traveling time , plus, it shows folks how good this machine looks going up with the camper. Yes, it turns some heads for sure !!!!</p>

river

I agree, from the pic it doesn't look like much of a hill. See if you can get an angle/degree measurement on the levee. I'd be interested. I'm pretty sure the 1100 will climb much steeper grades, but HOW steep? I don't want to find out the hard way. Just being cautious in my old age!! Rather not have to use the ROPS. for anything serious.</p>

kas1263

I tipped my 900 over with just the right front wheel off the ground about a foot. You never can be too careful. If in doubt -don't do it. See "Seatbeats do work" about three or four pages back.</p>

Kas1263</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="river"]</p>

See if you can get an angle/degree measurement on the levee. </p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

I am, wanted to always know myself. This give's me good reason to really find out !!!!</p>

</p>

............ jamie</p>

</p>

river

On second look at the pic, you can see that the camera is tilted to the left, so as to be more parallel to the ground. This was not intentional. Notice the trees in the background. Real level is indicated by the protractor level (the silver ruler part of the instrument). I was unconsciously influenced by the ground I was sitting on. I swear all three pictures were taken without moving anything. Anyway, I look forward to others angle/degree measurements in various situations. Thanks to all so far.</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
River, I can assure you the hill where my power line comes up to my place is at least 60 deg. at the top. If it ever quits raining up here I will attempt to get a measurement. It is steep enough a large Komatsu excavator scared the operator so bad he would not come back when they were digging the gas line along side the power line. I cut it in with a D5 cat and it was a tough climb for it. The RTV goes up and down it just fine as long as it is not wet. It does require diff. lock and 4wd low range but it claws it's way up and down no problem. The wife and a few others are scared to ride along with me but it beats walking up. When they strung the wires I hauled the linemen and their gear up and down. It does make the front end lift off a little just before you break out on top. This is where the excavator operator went for a ride. He parked it and never came back. We hung it from the winch on a D5 and walked it up the next day. I load a lot of wood out with mine and get it on 3 wheels a lot but have never felt it was going to tip.</p>