Alaska Pic

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You Southerners eat some really weird stuff...</p>

My sister has a job interview today for a position in Alaska.</p>

Tommy, as for riding up there in the mud... Where there's mud, there's water. Where there's water, there's mosquitos. They'll just pick you up out of that Rhino and carry you away. You'll make a fine snack for them.</p>

</p>

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]Feel about like bordercollie, don't know ifI could cope without the bullfrogs and the fried okra & grits >>>>[/quote]</p>

</p>

I know what bullfrogs are but what the heck is grits???Years ago while on training course in Baltimore one of the students was from the deep south and he complained that none of the restaurant menu had grits on them. I asked him what grits were and his best explanation was ..."well grits are....well grits are grits" Thats the best explanation he could come up with. Grits got mentioned frequently on the Beverly Hillbilly program by Granny and Jethro and Ellimae and Jed, but I never could figure out what they were.</p>

Seriously...I don't know what grits are....help me out.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Grits are somewhat coarsely ground corn. You put a measure of them in boiling water with a little salt reduce to low and cook them until tender. Not too soupy not too dry. Then serve with a big splat of butter and a little more salt if needed.... Sometimes you can find grits that are ground on an old stone and they taste really good. The grits , ham or bacon, homemade biscuits, jelly or gravy and you have a real meal... And probably high blood pressure as well. :) Bordercollie</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="Kubota Kanook"]</p>

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]Feel about like bordercollie, don't know ifI could cope without the bullfrogs and the fried okra & grits >>>>[/quote]</p>

</p>

</p>

Seriously...I don't know what grits are....help me out.</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

What are grits? To say it simply, crushed corn. Grits are small broken grains of corn that are often mashed apart by stone mills. There are hundreds of farms that grow corn and dry it out, and then grind the corn into grits and cornmeal (the finder ground corn).</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Sorry about that bordercollie, didn't know you done answered the" Grits "question >>> I mustbe to slowtoday !!!!</p>

I can't imagine not having grits with the eggs and biscuts !!!! Grits has always been a part of my life. Must be a southern thing. Folkshas always said, in the south, we eat things we can't even identify....</p>

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">GRITS, </span></p>

<span style="text-decoration: underline;"> NOTHING IN THE WORLD CAN TAKE IT'S PLACE !!!!</span></p>

<span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span></p>

Seriously, they don't sell Grits up north ? I can see it now, CHEROKEE GRIT DISTRIBUTION SERVICES, LLC INC.</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Grits are as good as the cook preparing them. I have had good ones and others you needed a big ladle of sausage gravy to hide the taste. If you scorch them even a little, throw them out to the chickens!</p>

Another mystery solved.....</p>

</p>

For 47 years I've pondered what grits were (first heard of em while watching the Hillbillies TV show 1962-1971).Amazing what you can learn just participating in this forum. </p>

Ever hear of "poutine"?? Its a French Canadian favorite. .....FrenchFrys and cheese curds smothered in gravy. I think even McDees has a version on the menu in Quebec.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Kubota Kanook"] Another mystery solved.....[/quote]</p>

Think of it as oatmeal but made of corn instead of oats. In the ones I've had, they're not as flavorful as oatmeal and do need something on top of them for flavor.</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i never knew what gtis was iether.i guess i could have justmaybe looked at the back of the pack but then again it might have listed the ingredients as"grits"</p>

[quote user="bczoom"]Think of it as oatmeal [/quote]</p>

</p>

If I recall correctly when I was trying to get that 'suthurn gent' to explain to me what grits were, I asked if it was like porridge. His response was ...."what's porridge"...</p>

toothy

Hello Barrett</p>

</p>

</p>

Are you going to make it to Seward?</p>

</p>

Let me know if your going to be down here.</p>

</p>

Wade </p>

Onfoot

[quote user="toothy"]</p>

Are you going to make it to Seward?</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Sorry, Wade! We only had a few days to divide between my wife's brother who lives between Chickaloon and Sutton (near the Matanuska Glacier) and my brother who lives in Chugiak (near Ft. Richardson). Would love very much to get down to Seward, but not possible this time around. Do appreciate your warm invite, however! And ditto for you next time you come through Whitehorse on the Alaska Hwy!</p>