First time with RTV 500

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made it up to my Dad's last week. Just beforehand, he received his new 500.</p>

So, I got my first chance to drive it (outside of a dealers lot).</p>

I will say I'm quite impressed.</p>

The engine starts right up (even when cold) and purrs like a kitten. The engine noise is significantly less than the diesels (but that's expected).</p>

The tranny works the same as the bigger machines but it doesn't have the abrupt stop.</p>

In our travels, he drove us across the edge of the garden (where it was plowed, tilled but not planted). As soon as I saw he was going to do this, I was mentally remembering where the tractor, tow-straps... where expecting to have to tow us out. I couldn't believe that the 500 just floated over the ground. The 900 (or larger) would have sunk to the frame.</p>

The air filter is mounted low. Do they have a high-rise intake for the 500 yet?</p>

There were a couple things I found that could use improving IMHO. The emergency brake handle is on the right side of the driver, in a little knocked-out area of the plastic below the center seat. It's not a "bad" location per se but what I didn't like is that it protrudes out into the floor area. I often slide over to the passenger side to get in/out of the RTV. I found myself snagging on the brake handle.</p>

On the dash, there's 4 idiot lights. The 2 on the right never came on but the 2 on the left did. What I didn't like is they have a generic caution indicator. It doesn't say which system is in the caution state. E.g. the one on the left is the emergency brake. Why not have the light show "Brake" instead of a caution symbol. The 2nd from left came on when starting. I'm guessing it's oil pressure but again, it's not labeled.</p>

I don't believe Kubota has one so my Dad got an after-market hydraulic dump unit. It was dealer installed. It works fine but I found the wires for it have been laying directly on the exhaust. In some places it's burned clear down and he now has exposed wires. We fixed it but if you get one, make sure you zip-tie up those wires!!</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Great that you got to spend time with Dad.Sounds likehe has got asuper machine. Betboth of ya'll had big smiles on your face ~~~</p>

Think it's great to spend some time with the folks ~~~~ everybody always seems happy !!!!</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BcZoom, It sounds like a nice machine. I don't know why Kubota (and others) don't get out in the world and get some actual Utv owners opinions about features. It is pretty obvious that the person who designed the rear tail lights (on the '05 900 rtv I have) has never backed up at night or else they would have put in a factory backup light in the light assembly. I changed out mine to an off brand so I can see now but you know what I am saying. So Kubota big guys reading this, it would be good design imput to ask us what we need and our opinions about things such as this.While you are at it, put the oil stick under the seat so you can check oil without raising the bed. Mine doesn't use oil, even at 2800 hrs, but I still like to check it often. I would also like to put the horn where you can get at it quick. Why else do you need one but quick without having to feel for it?....Bordercollie</p>

Onfoot

[quote user="bordercollie"]</p>

BcZoom, It sounds like a nice machine. I don't know why Kubota (and others) don't get out in the world and get some actual Utv owners opinions about features...</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

100% agreement with Bordercollie on both points--the general admiration of the 500 (saw my first 'real life' model at our Kubota dealer last week) and the puzzlement about not doing a bit of research with 'real life' owners when designing these machines. Seems like a no-brainer and could yield substantial improvements at little cost to Kubota. This forum alone could be invaluable to Kubota! In any event, thanks to BcZoom for the report!</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
sounds like you had a blast there with your dad and thertv. i guess the 500 is like a really beafed up gator cx i love these utv's they like mini trucks and man toys we can act like they are the biggest 4x4 in town when going through the mud and when we doing yard work they are the biggest 4x4 in town because most times trucks or tractors can't get to the ares where we need to be but the utv makes it in just fine. i would like for my dad to get a utv too so he can enjoy in the fun and outdoors but i don't think he's into them though. i sure am glad your dad is ya'll have fun now ya'heeya. be safe!!</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="tommy 20/69"]be safe!![/quote]</p>

Too late... I was out playing on an ATV last Saturday. Wiped out... Broke 3 or 4 ribs. Man do I hurt. I'm getting too old for this.</p>

Sorry Bill. No pictures.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
jeeze man your one dangerouse guy if i ever meet up with you remind me not to take a ride on the rtv or atv with you!!lol look at it this wat better to break ribs than a neck! now comes the heeling time .</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="bczoom"]</p>

</p>

Broke 3 or 4 ribs. </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

Damn, I wasn't even there, and I can't hardly breathe now !!!</p>

Hope everything goes fine with ya BC, for I remember the rocket snow sled thing a year ago or so ~~~ it set you back some time also >>>
</p>

............. jamie

</p>
</p>

Onfoot

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]</p>

</p>

Hope everything goes fine with ya BC, for I remember the rocket snow sled thing a year ago or so ~~~ it set you back some time also >>>
</p>

............. jamie
</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

BcZoom--very sorry to hear about the ribs! But sounds like it could've been much worse! But what is this rocket snow sled thing??? Are you accident prone or slightly crazy, or both? Hope you are fully recovered soon and can stay that way for a while!</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Onfoot"]</p>

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]</p>

</p>

</p>

............. jamie
</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

BcZoom--very sorry to hear about the ribs! But sounds like it could've been much worse! But what is this rocket snow sled thing??? Are you accident prone or slightly crazy, or both? Hope you are fully recovered soon and can stay that way for a while!</p>

[/quote]Brian has not accepted the fact that he is getting OLD and still thinks he can play with the kids. As I recall he was demonstrating how to jump a tobaggon and did not land gracefully. As for the ATV he just crashed on He knows better! there is a reason they put a roll cage and seat belts on the rtv. Belt burns are a lot better than broken ribs. I gave up riding on 2 wheels for the same reason. Every time I eat ice cream the srews in my mouth and face remind me not to be stupid like that again.</p>

</p>

</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

[quote user="tommy 20/69"]be safe!![/quote]</p>

Too late... I was out playing on an ATV last Saturday. Wiped out... Broke 3 or 4 ribs. Man do I hurt. I'm getting too old for this.</p>

Sorry Bill. No pictures.</p>

BCZoom, Millie the bordercollie would get along fine with you ...she loves speed and excitement. Count Belle out though she is strictly an RTV er. Take care and don't catch that flu with those broken ribs. Oh, I see now where the Zoooom comes from. Bordercollie</p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the thoughts, condolences and ribbing (pun intended).</p>

Yea, I think I need to retire from the ATV's and other high-speed, high-impact sports...</p>

In the past 10 years (on ATV's), I've broken a total of 11 or 12 ribs, my arm (the long way and needed plates/screws to put it back together), my wrist, clavicle and spent over a month in CCU on a ventilator (due to breaking 5 ribs one time and the lungs quit working since there was no back-pressure from the ribs). The toboggan incident crushed (but didn't break) my back. The pinched nerve in my neck last spring laid me up for awhile as well.</p>

I just told Mrs. Zoom that I'll be sleeping in a chair the next few weeks. It's just about impossible to get out of bed.</p>

Now I feel kind of bad about buying an ATV last Saturday (the same day I broke my ribs...).</p>

Zoom,</p>

</p>

Sorry to hear about your accident.............I hope your children don't try whatDad tries to do..........</p>

Rusty Anvil,</p>

Onfoot

In the past 10 years (on ATV's), I've broken a total of 11 or 12 ribs, my arm (the long way and needed plates/screws to put it back together), my wrist, clavicle and spent over a month in CCU on a ventilator (due to breaking 5 ribs one time and the lungs quit working since there was no back-pressure from the ribs). The toboggan incident crushed (but didn't break) my back. The pinched nerve in my neck last spring laid me up for awhile as well.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Bordercollie is right--you clearly have earned the 'zoom' in your forum handle! Remind me not to go riding with you on anything that goes faster than an RTV! But do hope you recover quickly.</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking of changing my forum name to bcCrashAndBurn</p>

Moved into a chair last night. It didn't seem very comfortable but I did sleep pretty well. Much easier to get out of in the morning.</p>

Rusty - My son was with me so he got to watch the whole thing. He did all the right things. He quickly shut off and braked his machine, came over to check on me, then after I told him I was fine, he secured the ATV I was riding.</p>

I really need 2 more arms. Two to push the ATV away from me as we're going down and another 2 to catch my fall when I hit the ground. In the previous accident, I used my arms to cushion my fall. That was good until the ATV landed on me and broke 9 bones. This time, I used my arms to push the ATV away. Unfortunately, I didn't have any arms on the ground to cushion the impact.</p>

Has anyone seen an inflatable outfit I can get so I'll look like the Michelin Man? I could use one of these.</p>

michelin-man.jpg
</p>

Bczoom,</p>

I have seen those outfits on the TV shows........people run and fall and don't get hurt.........you need two of those outfits......one for a spare when you fall off the atv and puncture a hole in one...........</p>

Rusty Anvil,</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="RUSTY ANVIL"]one for a spare when you fall off the atv and puncture a hole in one...........</p>

Rusty Anvil,</p>

[/quote]</p>

Rusty - I was just going to fill it with Slime. That should take care of punctures.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yup you definetly have to change that name maybe to bcboom or bcdoom but you got to take the zoom out cause everytime you try to get on anything that goes zoom it ends ina doom or boom.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
what you need is thaose jackets that have them air chambers inside them and they are connected to the atv with a rip cord . as soon as you fall off the jacket inflates and gets stiff as a brick . they tested the jackets on the superbike races and they done real good not one injury . oh they even tetsed the jacket in combination with a new helmet the guy layed his bike down doing 160mph he slid over 200 yrds and hit the wall 4 times there was a few scratches on the helmet but no cracks and the jacket was still intack toonot busted or torn they said if they would havemade some pants for the rider just like the jacket it would have saved his lower half because the asphault grinded everything that wasn't inside the helmetand jacket to ground meat so bad they just washed it off the track with a hose pipe . the good news was his chest/stomach/and head was all untouched and the family never knew he didn't have a lower half when he was laying in the coffin.</p>