Reusing New Torqued Head Gasket

dtreid

So....
was replacing the head gasket on a d1702 motor. Got it torqued down and realized I forgot the little oring around the oil port.

Can I reuse the headgasket since the motor was not started and it was only torqued down for 5 minutes (a new gasket is $260!)?

Thanks

dtreid

I have the service manual for it and it says to torque it down, measure the distance between the piston and head with a piece of soldier, then add or remove a shim if required and retorque the head. Warm it up for 30 min, then retorque again.....

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
so do i understand? install the head and gasketwith solder on the piston. remove head and measure the solder crush. reinstall head with shims and re torque ?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
ok. and then what do you do if the crush measurement fails? does the wsm say what the solder should measure?

foxalaska

Shimming to solder "crush" would leave zero clearance. Leaving out the head gasket while performing the clearance check seems more reasonable.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Shimming to solder "crush" would leave zero clearance. Leaving out the head gasket while performing the clearance check seems more reasonable.

yes i agree but i am trying to follow the WSM method. also seems to me you could just insert the solder through the injector hole and check crush without removing the head. but without a measurement to mic the solder what is the point???

dtreid

Manual says to insert in through and injector hole.. It should measure 0.028-0.035". If not within measurement remove cylinder head and add correct shim.

Install cylinder head and torque bolts

Retorque after engine has been run 30min

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Manual says to insert in through and injector hole.. It should measure 0.028-0.035". If not within measurement remove cylinder head and add correct shim.

Install cylinder head and torque bolts

Retorque after engine has been run 30min

oh ok that makes sense. so the WSM really doesn't say to reuse the old gasket but to check to make sure you have clearance before running the engine? do you think that the WSM intends to reuse the once installed gasket???

dtreid

It appears so.
Says to install new gasket,
torque down,
measure with soldier,
remove head and add or remove shim if necessary,
torque down again,
run engine for 30min,
then torque again.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my experience with the Kubota WSM is that it is full of inconstancy. i think we are discussing one now. i would not reuse the gasket. could this be why i read so many times of head problems on them? i don't know.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Aurthuritis is usually right.
Still, with the big dollar amount involved, if it were me, I would call one or two Kubota service departments and talk to guys who replace head gaskets and ask. Since the WSM says that simply ask if it is correct and you can use the same gasket or not. Messicks is a preferred dealer for many of us. Helpful in so many ways. You might call your local dealer and Messicks. Trust but verify IMHO the best way to go. Good luck.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
thanks for your confidence in me Doc. but everything in my being says that this is a poorly written WSM. it really doesn't say to reuse the gasket it just says to remove and shim if necessary and replace the head. i have a feeling they assume you know to use a new gasket each time. but i could be wrong.