4WD articulated tractor works!

Mith

Cheers guys, I appreciate the comments, means alot to have some nice comments :D

Jim, jealous of my seat are you?! :D Its real nice, springs in it and everything!
I've got a 3ph to go on, just need to get some rams to lift it. I've got a stack of spare hydraulic outlets, planning to use mostly trailed equip like the large artic tractors.

Zion, I dont have any use but I couldnt help building it, just to see if I could....

Mark, thanks.
I'll probably leave the muffler be (apart from adding a stack). Still deciding on the air cleaner, I find that I tend to look down beside the engine instead of over the top. Decisions......
I did pull the Ferguson up the hill out of the garage the other day, no worries there.

The engine problem is sorted, a new pair of plugs did the trick. I'm not used to the fuel consumption of this large engine. The little Kohlers in the digger and other bits and bobs only sip fuel. This burns about 1 gal/hour, or about $1 of fuel every 8~10 mins at our prices. I can run all day on 2 gals in the digger.
Another issue has come up however, the wheel motors cavitate when slowing down going downhill. Hopefully the problem should be solvable using a few relief valves and check valves to recirculate some of the flow. It'll slow down at a slower rate, but be easier on the motors.

J

johnday

Jim, have to hand it to ya, that is one fantastic accomplishment!!:tiphat::tiphat: Sounds like ya acquired a pretty decent welder in the past 2 years. As hard as you tried with what ya had, you really deserve a nice one.
What else have you planned for the new "toy"?:beer::beer:

Mith

Cheers John.
Yea, I've taken quite a jump in the world of welders. Current one I'm using is an inverter. Using it for stick welding, but it'll also TIG weld. Nice machine, but it cost a fortune.

Going to add a few toys, then use it for whatever comes up. 3pt linkage on the back, blade on the front. I've got a big hydraulic motor for a winch. I;ve got a bunch of hydraulic remotes for trailed tools. It'll be great in the woods.

Mud season has well and truly arrived this last week, its real messy out. The tractor just goes though, I'm very pleased. I think a blade on the front will be a good idea though, just save all the mud getting scooped up in the undercarriage.
I was way too slow getting the wood done for this winter, so I;ve got to slide about in the mud getting it up to the house. No tow hitch on the artic yet, but as soon as i get one done I'll be using it to tow the wood up. I use the digger to carry wood up on the pallet forks and it really chews the ground up. The artic is much easier on the ground.

Attachments

• Image129.jpg
    Image129.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 254
J

johnday

Well, now that I screwed that post all up, what I was trying to say, was that the talk of mud, wood, and front blade tipped me off to what your machine reminded me of in the first place. That link is to a photo of what we call a grapple logskidder. They're used in the woods to drag out trees to be cut to length, then loaded on trucks to go to the sawmill. They're one BADAZZ machine. I can just see you with a smaller one "skiddin' out your firewood.LOL:shock::beer::beer:

Mith

You've rumbled me there John. Thats pretty much what I'm going for (though clearly smaller :D). The drive system is almost exactly the same as some of the hydraulic drive skidders.
Planning on a winch on the back rather than the skidding grapple, that way I can have the 3ph to allow for different attachments. I can always have a 3ph mounted grapple.
Cheers

snowbird

If you're interested in articulated homemade tractors, I've just recently posted some pictures under the "snowblower" thread title.

Spiffy1

I'm a bit late to the game here, but even got a bit busy to hang around FF lately, so when a bit of weather made some computer time look very attractive to procrastate getting doused with freezing rain -even if just out to the garage- I had to get a bit caught up over there, and got to wondering "how's that Englishman doing with that articulated!"

Congrats! Looks great!

Mith

Thanks guys.
I drug it out the workshop yesterday after it had been sat in the corner for a couple months. Still fun to drive :D
I've got all the bits made for the 3 point linkage, maybe I'll get to welding them on some time. I dont know where the days go, too many toys, too little time! :D

Mith

No Mark. Think I am going to find a good used diesel to replace it, I should have listened to you at the beginning.

olcowhand

Jim, have you thought of adding front 3pt hitch? With quick attach up front & back, awesome! Well, it's awesome anyway!:tiphat:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Brandi,
Mith is away from home right now and has no access to the web.........GAWD FORBID:eek:

It's been a month or two now. Still could be a while before he can answer.

Bindian

Brandi,
Mith is away from home right now and has no access to the web.........GAWD FORBID:eek:

Oh Wow! Thanks! Two months? I feel tractor withdrawal pains as I type.
hugs, Brandi

olcowhand

Brandi,

I've been wondering where he's been. He's been awol from all his usual haunts. Been worried about the guy! Thanks for the heads-up!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Actually it's been since 7/23/09. Doc posted this in the Staff Forum.

He has taken on a new job and is moving where there is no internet. He said he even lost TV. Guess he is really moving to the sticks.