Starting Problem

I have looked this site over and over and found many threads similar to my problem, but only similar. I am at my wits end.

My RTV900 2006 I bought new, have never had any major problems, but this is what is happening.

Starting will be fine, and then all of a sudden I will turn the key and nothing happens. I will hear the fuel shutoff click, but that is all. Hit it a few more times and it may start. If it continues to fail to turn over you can hook up jumper cables and it will still do nothing for a time or two then all of a sudden it will start.

Here is what I did:
1. Checked all connections and cleaned. (NoHelp)
2. Checked all fuses (NH)
3. Checked and tested Neutral Safety Switch (NH)
4. Checked Starter and finally changed starter (NH)
5. Battery was 2 years old so I bought a new one (NH)
6. Had alternator checked just in case it might be draining the battery somehow and it was okay. Was told it could have a DIODE blown in it so I put a new Alternator on. (NH)
7. Installed a new Starter Relay......This seemed to finally solve the problem
and now two weeks later it has Started Doing It Again.......

Does anyone have any ideas or have you had the same problem. I have to travel to a dealer and am usually with these things but this has me bumfusseldeld...

Thanks
Al

PS. During all of this I have checked other things and noticed that the Heater Blower will work and the next time I turn it on it will not work. Don't know what that is all about either. Just seems like something is stealing the power from certain places. I know that sounds crazy. HELP

shinnery

I have a '06 RTV900 I bought in the middle of the winter and recently (last week) I noticed if I turn the switch too far it will not activate the starter. I can turn the switch to the first position and the voltmeter light comes on, turn it a little further and the glo-plugs light comes on and turn it all the way and no starter action. But if I turn it just past where the glo-plugs work the starter engaged. I was in a hurry to take a friend to my back lands and did not pursue the problem. I believe if it happens again I will investigate/replace the switch. Specially since you are seeing a similar problem.
Bryce

Bryce,

Don't replace the switch. I forgot, I did that too, and now I am stuck with a $92.00 Switch because the dealer would not accept returns on Electrical Parts. It Didn't help.

Al

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Try shorting across the neutral safety switch. Easy to do, in fact on mine, it did exactly what yours is doing......EXACTLY.....I got the new part, a switch; but no shims....I took the old one out and didn't realize that the shims were super important as this is what tills the switch it is against the cam..... anyway, lost the shims and it wouldn't work....

So.... just got some connectors and shorted easily across the two plugs, you'll see, and it is just fine.....NO I DO NOT HAVE A NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH and it will start in any gear; but for me, I don't care.......
Try it.... God bless....Dennis

shinnery

Dennis
What is the approximate location of the Neutral Safety Switch? I assume it is on top the tranny aft of the engine but? I haven't gone out and looked but I remember several linkages and other mess (wiring) there.
Bryce

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Right in the middle of the transmission......A plug looking thing, perhaps 1/2" in diameter, with a wire, maybe two, coming out and over to a wiring loom. It isn't hidden among a bunch of other stuff. On the top surface of the trans......REALLY, right in the middle............ If you don't find it, let me know and will take a pic tomorrow....... God bless.....Dennis

shinnery

I think I found it. On mine there is a shaft and housing that runs across the top of the tranny. the shaft seems to move when I move the shifter. There is a switch of some sort screwed in the side of the housing. I believe that would be the neutral start switch. Did not try to disconnect the wiring yet.
Bryce

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The pen is pointed to the plug itself in the case of the trans. You can see the way I shorted across the wires by just joining them with a wire connector...... Yes this totally defeats the neutral start safety device; but I have found that the grandbabies are smart enough and not mischief oriented to start the thing without knowing what they are doing........

Anyway.... doing this sure solved my "no start" PROBLEM...... God bless.... Dennis

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9364&stc=1&d=1443013560

I could not get the pic to paste so here is the link.........

Attachments

• TABLET - WIN_20150923_084809.jpg
    TABLET - WIN_20150923_084809.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 152