Hydraulic oils

Mith

2 quick questions if I may folks....

Firstly, the temp is around 30-50 degrees here, I think my hydraulic oil might be too thick, the pump complains for a bit until it warms up.
What weight oil would you suggest?

Secondly, what damage if any might occur if I mix different oils?
My tractor is currently 3/4 full with an unknown brand and weight of hydraulic oil, I pumped it out of a friends barrel, he uses it in a 40,000lb excavator, so a completely different application.
Anyway, I need to fill the remaining 1/4 of the tank, and another friend has offered to get me a gallon, again, I don't know what weight it will be, its used it hydraulic presses, so another different use.
Any thoughts? I would rather not go out and buy a barrel myself, its cheaper to fill the tractor with $10/gallon gas than it is to fill up the hydraulic tank!

2 quick questions if I may folks....

Firstly, the temp is around 30-50 degrees here, I think my hydraulic oil might be too thick, the pump complains for a bit until it warms up.
What weight oil would you suggest?

Secondly, what damage if any might occur if I mix different oils?
My tractor is currently 3/4 full with an unknown brand and weight of hydraulic oil, I pumped it out of a friends barrel, he uses it in a 40,000lb excavator, so a completely different application.
Anyway, I need to fill the remaining 1/4 of the tank, and another friend has offered to get me a gallon, again, I don't know what weight it will be, its used it hydraulic presses, so another different use.
Any thoughts? I would rather not go out and buy a barrel myself, its cheaper to fill the tractor with $10/gallon gas than it is to fill up the hydraulic tank!

I use nothing but JD Hy-Gard...my personal take would be to drain your system and refill with known material...:rolleyes:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_hydraulic.html

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hear so many good things from folks who use Kubota synthetic that I have not tried anything else. I've also seen posts from those who tried the cheaper non synthetic hydraulic fluids and they've switched back asap. The difference in smooth operation, and supposedly more power; made me a believer in synthetics.

More expensive for sure, but if possible I'd replace it all with a good synthetic Mith. What is the application you are using it for, I'd assume its for your tractor with the home made loader.
If that's the case we can dig up factory recommendations for a similar sized tractor for you.

shinnlinger

Mith,

You SHOULD be able to mix brands of oils as the armed forces made sure that fluids of different brands need to be compatible. Can you place a magnetic heater on your hydro tank for a 1/2 hour before operation? You say cold there, but I run my rig in below freezing temps more than I would like and it does take a while to warm up.

That said, the synthetics are nice and I doubt you would regret swithing over after you had paid for it.

Mith

Doc, you got it, its for the tractor with loader and backhoe.
I'm a complete non-believer in synthetics in a tractor. IMO, synthetics are for fancy cars etc. I cant afford to use synthetic oils.

Shinn, sounds like I need to find out what oil is in there at the moment. Hope my friend still has the barrel.

The problem is I don't run the tractor for very long, so it never warms up the oil. Really I need a much thinner oil so its good to go right from cold. I've never really got to grips with oil weights, I just do what the manual says, but having made it myself I don't have a manual, hence the need for a ballpark idea on what weight oil to use.

Its not really cold at the moment, but when you consider the oil is what I was running when it was 90 degrees....

Cheers

Doc, you got it, its for the tractor with loader and backhoe.
I'm a complete non-believer in synthetics in a tractor. IMO, synthetics are for fancy cars etc. I cant afford to use synthetic oils.

Shinn, sounds like I need to find out what oil is in there at the moment. Hope my friend still has the barrel.

The problem is I don't run the tractor for very long, so it never warms up the oil. Really I need a much thinner oil so its good to go right from cold. I've never really got to grips with oil weights, I just do what the manual says, but having made it myself I don't have a manual, hence the need for a ballpark idea on what weight oil to use.

Its not really cold at the moment, but when you consider the oil is what I was running when it was 90 degrees....

Cheers

Well, it should be one of these...

Service Ratings

AGCO
Massey Ferguson: M1135, M-1141,
M1139, M-1143
White: MQ-1722, Q1766, Q-1766B,
Q-1802, Q-1826
Allis-Chalmers, Deutz-Allis, AGCO Allis:
Power Fluid 821XL
CNH
Case, Case-IH: MS-1207, MS-1209,
MS-1210, MS-1
Ford/New Holland: ESN-M2C41-B,
M2C134-D, M2C48-B, M2C48-C,
M2C159-B/C, 159B/C, M2C86-B,
FNHA-2-C-200, FNHA-2-C-201
Caterpillar: TO-2
Clark: MS68
Deutz: Hydraulic transmission fluid
Dresser: Transmission hydraulic fluid
(HMS B806-0002)
Eaton Hydraulic Division: Hydraulic transmission (Form3-401-123)
IHC: B-6
John Deere: All-weather hydraulic fluid
(JDM J21A)
Kubota: UDT hydraulic transmission fluid, Super UDT
Oliver: Type 55
Sunstrand: Hydrostatic transmission
Zetor: OT-H, GL-4
ZF: TE-ML03E, 06D, 06E

shinnlinger

Im confused too...I just go to the auto parts store and buy a 5 gallon pail of hytran for the kubota and regular old fluid for the excavator and call it good.

I'm confused, what should be one of those?

Rather than hoping to find out which oil is in it, I was providing you with the oil standards of all of the tractor models I'm familiar with...Based on your tractor, these are the vaious standards that tell you which oil to have in it...

Mith

My tractor is home made, and the oil in it is out of a barrel that is used to fill up various makes of excavation equipment, so I'm afraid your list doesnt get me any closer to finding out.
Thats a useful list though, if you dont mind it would be good to copy it over to the reference forum.

shinnlinger

Mith,

While it is ideal to have all the same oil in your machine, but you dont have to run all the same, like I said the armed forces demended compatibility between brands. So if you have to mix different brands I wouldn't worry about it.

I do it all the time.