Kubota Finally Broke

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
After a 12 year relationship covering over 1800 hours of use and abuse, the little B2400 let me down.

I was out mowing this afternoon and decided to take a break for a few minutes. I parked it, got off and was clearing grass off the deck when I saw transmission/hydraulic fluid leaking out from around the PTO shaft on the tractor. I ran it back to the house, parked it and stuck an oil pan underneath to catch the drips. It was dribbling out slow but steady. I let it sit for a while and checked the fluid level. It was so low it didn't even register on the dipstick. I suppose I'll have to haul it to the dealer on Monday and see what he can do with it.

I'm a little frustrated because I didn't quite get the mowing finished and I had other work lined up for it over the next couple of days but strangely, I'm also a little sad. That little tractor has been a great little machine for me around the house and occasionally over at the farm and now it's broke. It's a sad, sad day.

Well, not to worry. We'll get her fixed and hopefully she'll give another 12 years and 1800 hours before something else goes wrong. Fingers crossed. I suppose that I'll have to run to the farm tomorrow and 'borrow' the ZTR to get the mowing finished.

texasjohn

Truly sad day.... but the happy ending is that you caught it before things got way dry. Good job keeping your eyes open!

urednecku

Sorry to hear that, ETF. Hope it's not too serious.
But does that mean I have another 1300 hours I don't have to worry?:hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Frank. Hopefully it's just a seal or something not to expensive.
Best of luck getting her fixed quick....maybe even a Saturday repair. Hey, it could happen.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear it too, Frank. Hope it isn't too serious.

Me too. I've got her loaded up and tied down. I'll take her to the dealer tomorrow morning and we'll just have to see what he finds out.

By the way, I was too lazy to go to the farm for the ZTR and ended up cutting what was left to do with the 21" walk-behind that I use for trimming. It took me 2-1/2 hours. Probably not one of my smarter decisions. :)

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I brought the ol' girl back from the dealer today and the damage wasn't too bad, under $180, and that also included fixing a small oil leak on the engine.

It turns out that it had blown a seal on the PTO shaft. Now the warning. It seems that there is a breather tube that, after 12 years had got so crudded up with dust that it was completely plugged. He said that I was lucky because it could have blown the axle seals too. I asked where this breather tube was and it turns out that it is located under the small tool box that is located under the seat. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it.

So, it wasn't the Kubota's fault after all. The twice in 12 years that I've had to take it to the dealer have both been due to operator error. I'll just have to add that breather tube to my check list and give it the once over every 5 years or so. Just kidding but it's something that owners of older compacts may want to check once in a while before something bad happens.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Kanook, look at the picture attached. I think this is where it is on top of the Hydraulic Cylinder Case.

Attachments

• B1700.jpg
    B1700.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 99

Kanook

Thanks for the pic...I found the tube...Anyone know how this tube is attached...screwed in etc. I'm reluctant to just grab and twist...don't want to break it off.

Kanook