B1700 4x4 cracked housing

stroker

The front housing snapped at the steering bracket on my 1996 b1700 4x4. By the look of the edge of chunk (6-8" long) it's been cracked for awhile. I guess what I thought was a slight leak from a bad seal was the cracked housing . Anyway, I was wondering if these can be welded, since it lasted quite some time cracked, or does it have to be replaced.

I've tried to research this but I'm probably be using the wrong part terminology.

Any ideas, experience with this or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Stroker. Glad you found us.
I don't have the answer but hopefully someone here will.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

stroker

Hey Stroker. Glad you found us.
I don't have the answer but hopefully someone here will.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:
Thanks for the welcome.

This problem is new to me so I hope someone out there had a similar issue as well.

I am leaning toward the welding attempt but if it's most likely a waste of time, I'll pass. There's nothing better than learning from someone elses experience.

thanks again...........

stroker

O.K

No attempting myself. Check with a good welding shop.

One last question. I've already removed the assembly and drained it. Should the guts taken out. The break is towards the top and not near anything except the ring gear.

Thanks again.

N

Nicahawk

O.K

No attempting myself. Check with a good welding shop.

One last question. I've already removed the assembly and drained it. Should the guts taken out. The break is towards the top and not near anything except the ring gear.

Thanks again.
1st off...welcome!:wave:

2nd......can you post a couple pictures.

olcowhand

Yep, a pic or 2 would be needed to say much bout welding it. If it's metal, then it can be welded, but durability of the weld is the question.

stroker

Here's the pics.

As you can see from the piece on the hood, most of crack looks like it's been that way for some time. I think the inner piece cracked a long time ago and didn't fail completly until the smaller section from the outer cover let go. After removing the housing I could see the break was clean, not twisted or stressed and it fits back nicely so I thought about the possibilty of welding over replacement.

I think I'd be alot better off if I caught it before the outer cover broke and I don't like a split right at a bolt hole either but it's lasted quite a while in a weakened state and I'm not abusive to the tractor so I'm just little unsure of which direction to go with this.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2531&stc=1&d=1228002761
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2532&stc=1&d=1228002916

Attachments

• DSC01177.jpg
    DSC01177.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01178.JPG
    DSC01178.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 20

olcowhand

I'm thinking this would be cast steel instead of cast iron due to the nature of the part. Cast steel is much easier to weld, cast iron being much more involved on such a piece. Either way, complete disassembly is required to be able to clean it properly. Cast iron needs to be preheated, then welded & cooled slowly overnight for best results. Tke the small part to a reputable welding shop. They can identify what type metal & advise whether or not to attempt welding.

stroker

Sounds like a reasonable way to approach this.

I'll get back with how it all works out. This input is very much appreciated.

This is the first issue I've had since I bought the kubota new and I havn't even picked up a repair manual on it yet so I need a little more advice. (beside get yourself a manual):eek:

I've pulled the bearing, shaft and gear etc out of the spindle casing and assume either that casing or the lug/shaft/cover needs to be removed next from housing. Are any of those pressed in and need to be brought in for disassembly or is there a way to get them apart by hand without making matters worse?

I know I sound like an idiot but I'd rather ask a stupid question than miss something simple and make matters worse.