Making the artic useful

Mith

Well, they do say, a tractor without attachments is just a slow way to get around.
Gotta put some stuff on the artic tractor.

3pt linkage on the back is the most important, started fiddling a couple weeks ago. I know, I haven't got much done. Went out earlier with the intention of doing a load on it, but after 45 mins my hands were going blue so I wussed out. Steel was just too cold to work with.
I've got a couple of those rams, should have enough power to lift med duty 6' tools.

Got a hydraulic motor for a winch too, and I bought some rams for a blade on the front. Still torn on that one, I could use the rams to make a boom flail for cutting hedges/verges. Really ought to have a blade if I have a winch though, the winch will just drag the tractor towards the loader, rather than the load towards the tractor if I dont have a blade.

Attachments

• Image146.jpg
    Image146.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 87

Mith

PB, I'm toying with that idea. I dont really need another backhoe, but not needing something hasn't stopped me before. The flail would be neat to have on the front though, so you don't have to turn around to see it.

Found the time today to make up a towing hitch, and more importantly made a mount for the fuel tank. I just clamped it next to the engine previously.
I'll add a load of plate around the tank so it doesnt get smacked by something. I ran the fuel hose through some conduit and wrapped it in tape, should protect it enough.

I wish I knew why all my photos are coming out badly nowadays

Attachments

• Image152.jpg
    Image152.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 89

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Why did I think this thread was going to be about drilling for oil in the Artic? :yum: :hide:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mith doesn't drill for oil...........he digs in the mud for it.

Tractor is coming along and looking good.

ghautz

Why did I think this thread was going to be about drilling for oil in the Artic? :yum: :hide:

I thought so, too, until I figured Mith knew how to spell "arctic.":poke:

edit--GB isn't around to point these things out and someone has to do it.

Mith

Drill for oil? If I could figure out how to keep in in my machines I'd be doing well!

I thought so, too, until I figured Mith knew how to spell "arctic."
:yum: @Doc :applause:
(And I didnt have to google that spelling..yea..ahem...)

Cheers

Mith

Well, its only taken 5 months, but I have done more to the 3ph.

Spent all morning doing all the jobs that had accumulated on my workbench to clear a space to work on this!
The clutch on my chainsaw had disintegrated and ruined all the clutch housing. Luckily I had another of the same model saw with a bad engine, between the 2 I think I have a saw that works again! You have to take just about everything apart on these Stihls to take the engine out, took me hours!

Anyway, finally got to figuring out this lift. Lifts from about 2" to over 2'. I reckon that'll be enough.
Needs welding up, and tidying up. Reasonably happy with the operation though. Need some pipes for it.

I did find out (in a very messy fashion) that spool #3 on my valve block has a problem with it.
When you pull the lever (either way) you get fluid out of both ports! I cant think what would be causing the problem except a casting defect in the valve block itself. I dont think any of the other spools do it (to be fair I have only tried #4). Might have to pull the spool out and see what it looks like.
Its a right bugger, bet its out of warranty too.

Attachments

• Image212.jpg
    Image212.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Image213.jpg
    Image213.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 82

Mark777

Wow Jim,

This is becoming typical of your engineering skills :D.

I don’t see a top link to finish off the 3PH. Is this something you will add down the road?

How do you think it will work with a serious implement attached? I’m thinking of a box blade with the rippers extended in relation to front end ballast (although you do intend a FEL?).

Mark

Mith

Cheers Mark.

I'll add the toplink mount when I finish weld the linkage up (its just tacked right now). I've even got a dinky toplink for it somewhere. Its a full cat 1 linkage, but with shorter more compact arms (and hence toplink).

I'm not too sure how it will take ground engaging equipment. It will require 6' attachments to cover the track.
I think the hydraulic circuit for the drive will only produce about 25HP peak at the moment.
When I was hosing the tractor I only had the money for 1 wire hoses, they have a max working pressure of 2500psi. I may replace the drive hoses with 2 wire 3500psi hoses.
I have only ever seen 1500psi on the guage with heavy loads, so it may pull OK. But potentially I have 2x the power I have used so far available.