A question about SMV plates.

quincy

Just a question about the SMV plate and something I've noticed on some photos lately. Is it mandatory to have a SMV triangle fitted in the US? Do you need to have your tractor registered like having a registration tag on the back? I just havent seen too many photos of tractors with registration plates. It seems 90% of the photos of tractors I see on NTT and TBN, they have a SMV on the back.

Maybe the tractors are farm only and dont need to go on the road - then why the SMV?

Sorry for all the questions, its just we need to have the tractor registered with plates and pay road tax before we can drive on the road legally.
We dont have a SMV reflective triangle requirement but instead for tractors above a certain size, a flashing yellow beacon is required to indicate a slow moving vehicle..

Just a question about the SMV plate and something I've noticed on some photos lately. Is it mandatory to have a SMV triangle fitted in the US? Do you need to have your tractor registered like having a registration tag on the back? I just havent seen too many photos of tractors with registration plates. It seems 90% of the photos of tractors I see on NTT and TBN, they have a SMV on the back.

Maybe the tractors are farm only and dont need to go on the road - then why the SMV?

Sorry for all the questions, its just we need to have the tractor registered with plates and pay road tax before we can drive on the road legally.
We dont have a SMV reflective triangle requirement but instead for tractors above a certain size, a flashing yellow beacon is required to indicate a slow moving vehicle..

Quincy,
Registration and plates varies from state to state here. I live in Maine which is a right to farm state. No registration or road tax required. I'm not sure if the SMV is mandatory or not but it is a good idea. My buddy and I do a lot of road travel going from one field to the next so SMV plates are a good idea.
Now down in the Dougster's neck of the woods they are a right to pay taxes state. Anything and everything can and will be taxed to the hilt:yum:

mobilus

Quincy, registration and licensing of tractors isn't required in most states. The only time they're on the road is usually on short trips from field to field. During that time, a SMV placard and flashers are advised, if not required. OSHA requires them, but there's not much policing done by local authorities on federal mandates (at least in this area, thank God).

Last edited:

mobilus

Quincy,
Now down in the Dougster's neck of the woods they are a right to pay taxes state. Anything and everything can and will be taxed to the hilt:yum:

Hence the reason the only population influx is illegal aliens...they don't pay taxes. I keep trying to get ol' Doug to invest in some Texas property.

Dougster

Old Member
Ain't that the truth! You don't want to know how much I had to pay today in vehicle excise taxes alone. :rolleyes:
Hence the reason the only population influx is illegal aliens...they don't pay taxes.
Boy, have you got that right. Just call my little corner of this God-forsaken state "Brazilachusetts"! :eek:
I keep trying to get ol' Doug to invest in some Texas property.
I hear ya Mark. That would be an intelligent thing to do. I spent a lot of time working in your fine state and found it to be a very appealing place. :thumb: All except for them scary MEGA-MONSTER trucks y'all drive around.

And, unfortunately, family and friends are still 96.1% located in New England. :eek:

Dougster :starbucks:

Dougster

Old Member

It does vary from state-to-state. They are apparently not a requirement in Taxachusetts because unregistered tractors aren't allowed to drive on public streets anyway. On the other hand, I believe it is a requirement of neighboring New York State (among plenty of others) if memory serves me right. I assume it is still a requirement here for slow moving farm registered vehicles, but I haven't really researched that aspect.

That being said, I bought one anyway. Paid a lot for it too to get the exact one that should have come stock on my Mahindra but didn't because the Mahindra dealer who originally sold it is a bit of a character and says he threw it away when the backhoe was mounted. :rolleyes:. I think I saw it for sale on his wall last time I was in there. :(

One odd factoid I do remember being told by my friendly local cops: You are supposed to take the SMV sign off the back of the tractor when trailering. Supposedly, you can get a ticket for displaying an SMV sign on a vehicle that is not a slow mover. :rolleyes: Go figure! :pat:

mobilus

One odd factoid I do remember being told by my friendly local cops: You are supposed to take the SMV sign off the back of the tractor when trailering. Supposedly, you can get a ticket for displaying an SMV sign on a vehicle that is not a slow mover. :rolleyes: Go figure! :pat:

As if anyone pays attention to them anyway...

Dougster

Old Member
As if anyone pays attention to them anyway...
Well, the truth is that I've seen more SMV signs on the backs of tractors being trailered than anywhere else. :rolleyes: My guess is that it would only be an issue if it actually caused someone to misjudge a moving vehicle's speed while in the act of passing said vehicle and thereby caused an accident. :shitHitsFan:

But most cops around here don't even know the important laws let alone trivial, inconsequential nonsense like this. :rolleyes:

quincy

Geeeees, I'd love a cup of starbucks coffee right now... Doug, your sig darn well reminds me of the lack of starbucks shops here in Ireland. Esp the part of Ireland I'm living in. Nearest starbucks is alongside the check in gates of the local airport... 40 miles away. :unhappy:

:starbucks:

Mith

Q, I've been looking into registering my tractor for road use too.
I think yours has a plate already doesnt it? Do you have a V5 for it for whatever it is called?
You can register it agriculturally, but there is a limit on how far you can drive it from home. This would mean that tax is free, but you need to still register it.
I dont know of any rule stating you need a SMV sign, even orange flashers are optional I think.

I'm assuming rules are the same here as they are for you.
I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, as I say, I'd like to register mine.
My tractor doesnt have an identity in the eyes of the DVLA, and falls under the 'seriously modified' catagory, so the process of getting it registered is very messy, but possibly not expensive.

Dougster

Old Member
Geeeees, I'd love a cup of starbucks coffee right now... Doug, your sig darn well reminds me of the lack of starbucks shops here in Ireland. Esp the part of Ireland I'm living in. Nearest starbucks is alongside the check in gates of the local airport... 40 miles away. :unhappy:
:starbucks:
Oh, but it's worth the trip Quincy! :thumb: I say Go for it!!! :wave:

Dougster

Old Member
I think yours has a plate already doesnt it? Do you have a V5 for it for whatever it is called?
You can register it agriculturally, but there is a limit on how far you can drive it from home. This would mean that tax is free, but you need to still register it.
I dont know of any rule stating you need a SMV sign, even orange flashers are optional I think.

I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, as I say, I'd like to register mine.
My tractor doesnt have an identity in the eyes of the DVLA, and falls under the 'seriously modified' catagory, so the process of getting it registered is very messy, but possibly not expensive.
Be very thankful that you can register a CUT for road use at all. Here in Taxachusetts, USA, that is a virtual impossibility unless you own a bona fide farm or logging operation meeting a strict state criteria. I know of one person who pulled it off without owning a farm, but he kinda sorta "finessed it" (wink, wink) at great expense and in a way I could never pull off or get away with. :eek: He did it that one time (for one calendar year) but decided against doing it a second year. The dubious path he took to comply with a set of laws & regulations designed specifically to thwart registration of CUT's would never stand up in court if God forbid there were ever an accident. :(

shinnlinger

Here in New Hampshire you are suposed to register it if it goes on the road. but you only qualify for it if you make money by farming. Well a lot of people have tractors but don't farm. I own property on both sides of the road so I wonder what would happen if they saw me driving my unregistered excavator across the road.

I have some sheep and goats, but I can't say I am making any $$ with them (focused on building my house right now)

BUT because we do sell eggs from our chickens (which at least break even), I supposedly qualify for AG plates which means I can run my dumptruck on the road w/out a state inspection. (there are no state inspections in Oregon)

In Canada, you dont qualify for Ag plates unless at least 51% of your income is generated by farming.

SO as you can see, it varies alot from state to state.

SMV emblems became mandatory for on-road use by vehicles moving less then 25 mph back in 1965. (State laws enacted to qualify for federal highway monies as required by DOT) At some point, they became standard issue on new tractors. The standard for shape and size of the SMV emblem was developed by the A.S.A.E. (American Society of Agricultural Engineers) in conjunction with Ohio State University School of Agriculture. A gentleman by the name of Kenneth Harkness is credited with the design while a graduate student at Ohio State. Ohio and Nebraska were the first states to enact SMV laws.

Here in Kentucky, it's perfectly legal to drive a tractor just about anywhere, no registration needed. The only exception is on interstate highways. It's recommended, but not REQUIRED that the operator has a valid drivers license. I know of several guys who've had license priviliges suspended (for various alcohol related issues:alc:) and were still able to drive their tractors to the local watering hole:eek:

A few years ago, we went to a funeral in the small town where my wife was raised. As we left, we encountered 2 tractors, loaded hay racks in tow, sitting in the funeral home parking lot. Their operators were on the way home from the field when they stopped in to pay their respects:respect:

Almost all Kentucky high schools in rural areas have an FFA "Drive your tractor to school day" in late April/early May. Back when my son was in school, I drove by that morning to see over 100 farm tractors in the school parking lot.

One issue that I have is when people use SMV emblems to mark entrances to driveways. I feel that diminishes the effect of seeing an SMV emblem when it's CORRECTLY displayed on a tractor.

The other piece of the puzzle

If you tow your tractor...you are required by law to COVER the SMV while it's on the trailer...:D
State Police gave me a warning...thank goodness for the FD emergency light rack on my pickup...:rolleyes:

quincy

Hi Mith, Yeah, mine came with a UK plate, but a "Q" reg. As I understand it, the "Q" prefix registration number is due to the fact that their origins or age are uncertain. Its not like a UK V5 log book. So I cant re register the tractor using the Q plate.
I've been advised by the Irish DVLA to contact the main dealer who should be able to determine its background based on the VIN. SO...... I contacted Kubota Ireland but they couldnt help, then I contacted Kubota UK, same result, no joy. So I noticed a lot of the labels on the tractor were written in French so I contacted Kubota France (who are also Kubota Europe) but they could not help either. Sorry, the vehicle is too old and the details are no longer on file.... Try Kubota Japan they said... SO I sent a query to Kubota Japan who dont appear to do email so i sent a snail mail letter.. I haven't received a reply from them yet.

I would like to avoid having a 2008 registeration plate on my 25+ year old tractor. If I could determine the year of manufacture I think I could swing a registeration based on that.
It is not expensive to register here either but gosh darn it, trying to speak to someone that thinks outside the parameters of their training is like getting blood from a stone.
I have a farm supply store literally right across the road from me. I do drive across the road on my tractor to go pick up stuff but every time I do it I am watchin for the cops. I would prefer to have everything legal.

Thats my house in the middle of the pic (taken a few years ago when we were still building, at the time the pic was taken, the lawn area had just been rotivated and harrowed so its 3/4 acre brown dirt in the pic...lol) The grain store/farm supply couldnt be closer.
house.jpg

Dougster

Old Member
It is not expensive to register here either but gosh darn it, trying to speak to someone that thinks outside the parameters of their training is like getting blood from a stone.
I assure you that your experience in that regard is not unique to your government. I run into PLENTY of the same here in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts USA!!! :noevil:

Oh the stories I could tell you!!! :rolleyes:

jbrumberg

Be very thankful that you can register a CUT for road use at all. Here in Taxachusetts, USA, that is a virtual impossibility unless you own a bona fide farm or logging operation meeting a strict state criteria. I know of one person who pulled it off without owning a farm, but he kinda sorta "finessed it" (wink, wink) at great expense and in a way I could never pull off or get away with. :eek: He did it that one time (for one calendar year) but decided against doing it a second year. The dubious path he took to comply with a set of laws & regulations designed specifically to thwart registration of CUT's would never stand up in court if God forbid there were ever an accident. :(

I live on the other end of Taxachusetts and everything is as Ol' Dougster :starbucks: has stated. There are a few differences and it is probaby due to our rural quality of life in the "HillTowns". According to my insurance company I am allowed to traverse the local roads along my property line (within reason- they actually gave me a number which I can not remember :confused:). I also drive my tractor to where I work on occassion to till the Schools rather extensive gardens. The School is located 1.3 miles from my home and there are very few homes along the way (5). I actually spoke to a local police officer while I was actually on the road as to the "legality" of what I was doing. He winked at me and told me that I was not speeding. He advised me to stay completely on the road during my road travel and keep my hazard lights blinking, use my turn signals, and keep the headlights on. He also told me to keep my rear working lights off while on the road. He told me that while it was technically illegal, he would be surprised if any "local" would do anything about me traveling on the highway. Jay :letitsnow:

PS: I wear a SMV on my tractor, and maybe I should mount one one myself :yum:

Dougster

Old Member
I live on the other end of Taxachusetts and everything is as Ol' Dougster :starbucks: has stated. There are a few differences and it is probaby due to our rural quality of life in the "HillTowns". According to my insurance company I am allowed to traverse the local roads along my property line (within reason- they actually gave me a number which I can not remember :confused:). I also drive my tractor to where I work on occassion to till the Schools rather extensive gardens. The School is located 1.3 miles from my home and there are very few homes along the way (5). I actually spoke to a local police officer while I was actually on the road as to the "legality" of what I was doing. He winked at me and told me that I was not speeding. He advised me to stay completely on the road during my road travel and keep my hazard lights blinking, use my turn signals, and keep the headlights on. He also told me to keep my rear working lights off while on the road. He told me that while it was technically illegal, he would be surprised if any "local" would do anything about me traveling on the highway. Jay :letitsnow:

PS: I wear a SMV on my tractor, and maybe I should mount one one myself :yum:
Jay is absolutely correct. What the law says and what the cops might actually say or do in any given town (especially urban vs. suburban vs. rural) are miles apart. This is why I always check with the local cops... in person and ahead of time... in any town in which I will be working where my equipment trailer cannot be unloaded on the client's property. When I must drive on the public road... even for a short distance... there is no substitute for playing old & dumb, being polite, hat in hand and asking the local cops what they'd like me to do. :cool:

jbrumberg

I definitely agree with engaging the "locals" in a positive manner. I have no problems involving the "officer on the scene" :respect: , "acting" :rolleyes: old, dumb:stupid: , sickly, and as SWMBO calls it "A Real Suck UP" which explains why I get the warnings :yum: and she gets the tickets :mad: and I usually get to do what I wanted to do :wink: . Jay :letitsnow: