Kubota RTV X1100c Buzzing/Whine from Transmission?!?!

darbymakloski

Good Afternoon!!!
Just got done changing fluids, both transmission and hydraulic, and filters on this machine, Kubota RTV X1100c. Drained all of the fluids a week ago to service, and then realized we didn't have one of the filters, so it just sat in the shop. The filter finally came in on Friday, and we put all of the filters back on and filled up the tanks. Fired the machine up and there is a random buzzing/whining noise coming from the rear of the machine, transmission area. All fluid levels are good. This noise was not there prior to servicing the machine. Does anyone have ANY idea as to what the heck is going on? I am baffled and am worried that letting it sit for a week with no fluids caused this. Maybe air in the hydro static transmission? If so, how do I purge it?
Thank you in advance for any ideas!!!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
should be able to purge the air just by running the peddle all the way through a few cycles with the gears in neutral. i assume you used Kubota filters? are you double sure you put them on in the correct location? my X1100 makes a buzzing noise from the rear and it always has.

darbymakloski

Kubota filters. All in the correct location. We have never had an issue like this at all. The only thing that happened was that we didn't realize we were short a suction filter, and since we live in a very remote area, we had to order one and it took all week to get here. I generally keep plenty of oil and filters handy for all of our equipment so when I have downtime in the shop I can catch up on maintenance, but I obviously failed this time.
I am familiar with the steady whine/buzz that we normally hear, but this is more of a pulsating buzz. We have let it run at idle and at rpms thinking it just needed to prime and warm up, but it does not go away. The machine shifts into H, L, and R fine and smoothly. I am just concerned to drive it with this noise and ruin the transmission.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you need to activate the swash plates. the gear selector just selects the mechanical gears. so with the machine in neutral you can push down the peddle and this activates the swash plates and the engine governor. if you want to activate the swash plate in low idle then you can unhook the little cable from the governor control arm and then push the peddle.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember now... Does the dump bed use the same hydraulics? If so, is the reservoir for that one full as well?

darbymakloski

Good Morning,
I tried running the rpms and that did not work. Still a consistent pulsing buzz. Seems to be coming from the lower part of the transmission, possibly from the housing directly to the left of the filters.
Rechecked ALL of the fluids levels and all are at the proper level.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
to the left and rear of the transmission is the servo that controls the swash plates. since it was working fine until you changed the oil and filters i would guess that somethin is amiss in either the oil or the filters. i am afraid that the elephant in the room is either the oil or the filters. i would double check and re double check the part numbers on the filters and their placement. then i would buy another set of oem filters and see what that does. i would also recheck that the oil level in the tank if full and not foamy when running. try steering from left to right lock several times to help get air out.

darbymakloski

I have ordered a whole new set of filters and another 10 gallons of oil. Shipping takes forever. I feel like this has got to be a faulty something. I have checked and double checked all of the plugs and filter #'s and locations. Double and triple checked the fluid levels. This is not my first rodeo on servicing a Kubota and this is definitely the first time something this random has happened.
It is also the only time I have messed up and not had a filter on hand and left the machine dry for any amount of time.
Oil does seem like it has some air in it. I am going to blow the rear end off as best I can and put paper towels under the filters and make sure there are no leaks around the filters or anywhere else randomly.
I am sorry that I am so frustrated. Thank you so much for all of the ideas. It has to be an absolutely simple issue, and I am not looking forward to draining $100 worth of brand new fluid out! LOL.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
no problem. i understand your frustration. just everything points to the service as the culprit. i think you may be on to something when checking the orings on the filters.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
could it be a loose skid plate or exhaust cover?

That did happen to my RTV once. The heat shield that said HOT had developed a crack and worried me to death. I just happened to be looking at the engine and noticed it coming from there. The crack was right along the O and T and when that piece did come off with some help, it quit making the aggravating noise .
I also had one of the colored side panels vibrate like crazy, I finally put 1/2 a cork in between the panel and bed side - it finally stopped that . A bead of caulk fixed it permanently.
I'd check all bolts around the area you mentioned just to be sure it wasn't something easy. collie

darbymakloski

Ok... sorry for not updating y’all. We have been super busy weaning. So... had a faulty filter. Paper towel deal showed a VERY small leak around one of the filters. Took it off and sure enough... small dent in the rubber. Replaced filter with new one and the crazy noise diminished. It had definitely been sucking air in to the fluid causing the noise in the transmission. It wasn’t a rattle... you will know this pulsing buzz/ whine when or if you ever hear it. (I pray you never hear it... it is very scary sounding) Just know at that time that there is a leak in the suction system. Even just a small one. Thank you all for being my sounding board. Love our kubotas!