DK40 se Hydraulic filter/fluid change

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This week I decided it was time to change my hyd/ fluid and filter on the DK40se. This would be the first fluid and filter change - 98 hrs are on it. Everything was going well- I warmed up the machine, turned it off and began draining the oil. It has 2 drain plugs for the transmission and they have heavy duty magnets on the ends. I was really surprised at how much crud was on the front most magnet- I mean it was a good teaspoon of crud on the magnet. Wow! I am glad I changed the fluid early after seeing all of that. - Then I go to take off the filter-it is tight - ok extremely tight- worse than that- try stuck like glue. I make double sure that I'm turning it ccw . won't budge... I am flexing the housing it still won't budge. I decided as a way to get a better grip to remove the rear tire so I could get at it since the loader bracing is in the way.. Still wouldn't budge. I had foolishly parked the Kioti right where I load the big feed wagon and knew I had to get this solved. A quick call to my dealer acknowledged that this had been seen in their shop before and they they had to remove the entire mount assembly in a few cases. I decide to try my filter wrench one more time and actually break it's pin and it sends me backward into the step. Now I have a broken filter wrench and a big bruise on the back of my arm. O.K. as a last resort I look at the filter and decide to cut around the factory paint on the filter. I improvise a wrench with a piece of chain and a screwdriver. It still won't move so I go deeper with the utility knife and slide it through the rubber seal on the filter top. I gently drive the blade around all of the filter reachable by tapping on the knife's back with my hammer. I feel the blade moving on the inner side of the filter seal and try the improvised wrench and the filter moves!! Thank You God!! I get it off , the new filter on and filled with hyd fluid . I am tired and done with that- now time to get some other work done.! bordercollie

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I just helped my buddy with his 50 hour on his CK27 and his filters were the same way. I think they paint the damn tractor after installing filters.

Note: Be careful re-installing your engine oil plugs, known for stripping.

BTW ............. Get'cha a Channel Lock Filter wrench, they are so much better than those damn strap wrenches!

Attachments

• 215.jpg
    215.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 49

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Big Dog, Yea, the hydraulic filter was painted to the tractor-like glue. I changed the motor oil at 50 hrs and it came off normally Thanks for the oil plug warning too . That hydraulic filter was a bear though! I'm definitely going to check into one of those filter wrenches - the leverage looks like it would work great for me- I like the smaller arm under the bigger. I have a cheap one with arms the same size that I left at the place in Ark for changing my Mom's oil .It slips and will also mash your hand between the handles. This Channel Lock looks great though - It will be going on my" list of wants" . Thanks!! bordercollie