I need a new mower BX2660

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Yea Bordercollie you are right on with the skid steer,i have used them in the past and they are a true workhorse. but i am thinking about a one machine does several task kind of thought. i might be running down the wrong rabbit hole though,could be a jack of all trades and a master of none.

vpexp

Collie is on the right track. If you want a one machine does it all you can't beat a skid steer or CTL. There are attachments for just about any job. We use ours to mow with as well. We have the following attachments: finish mower, auger, brush cutter, grapple, bucket, forestry mulching head, tree trimmer/log splitter just to name a few. Many attachment can be rented too, like jack hammers, power brooms, snow blowers, cold planers, seed drills, graders, rollers, sod layers, trenches, etc. They just can't be beat for versatility.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We got the little Case 1840 used , with low hours,like 10 years ago or more and it was around 6,000. The Cat is bigger has a cab and a/c but it was 30,000 new. both have the quick disconnects for our auger (awesome) .The skid steer is so much easier to pinpoint and short me can see what is going on right there in plain view.
I bought a Kioti DK40se(around 18 grand with a "free loader" and used it but once, the loader I mean... It is a pain to use the standard transmission for bucket work after being used to the skid steer. I use the Kioti for my garden and spraying pastures. We use the great big tractors for clipping.
We have a zero turn for the yard. I just wanted to share options . :) It is fun picking out the right tool for sure have fun with it. :) collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've pondered getting a skidsteer in addition to or in lieu of my current tractor.
Changed my mind for a couple reasons.
- Skidding tears things up.
- Implements are significantly more expensive compared to a CUT/3PH equivalent.
- I don't really need the speed/efficiency of the skidsteer.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peanut. you are 100% correct. but i am considering a tractor for its versatility. what I am seeking is the tractor in this size really a hard working machine or is it just not a real tractor nor a mower.
I would have to say a hard working machine. I had a 2wd 8n and had trouble doing general tasks due to not enough traction even with R-1's (Ags). I got a little bigger CUT than the 26 (mines a 30) but they are hard working machines. 4wd meant I could handle all kinds of tasks the 2wd machine could not do. Smaller just means it might take a little longer to move that pile of gravel but it will get the job done. Smaller for mowing can be an advantage, as long as it will handle the size mower deck you want. I used a pull behind 3ph mower and it worked well and was easy to swap on and off the tractor. This gave me more clearance in the woods, as a belly mower hanging would cut down clearance a good bit.

ccmdvl1960

We bought a new Kubota BX2370-1 last year with loader, 60" mid mount mower, and 60" front blade.

The tractor is really a great machine. It is well built and powerful for its size.

That being said, if we were to do it again, we'd probably move up a step to a B-series for our application.

We bought the BX to combine/replace our JD 425 and IH Cub LoBoy. It seemed to be the right fit. We still have a Ford 3000 with 6' and 7' attachments.

The first thing we noticed with the BX, and probably our biggest complaint is that the ride is very rough. We have a lot of pine trees which result in a lot of above ground roots. The ride was jarring at first. We ended up buying a Michigan suspension seat and adapting it to fit. It helps, but is still not great.

The second complaint is that I find the ground speed to be too slow. If you mow in high range, you will have whiplash each time you hit a bump and surge the forward pedal. If you mow in low range you will never finish. High is too slow for snow plowing or general transport.

I suspect the B series' larger tires and three range transmission would address some of our issues. Maybe next time around.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
I have a ford 3910 and a 7 ft. bush hog brand finishing mower. Also have a scag zero turn with a Kubota diesel engine. If you are cutting a big field with nothing to trim around the farm tractor is probably faster and you eat less dust. If you have trees or stuff to trim around the zero turn would be faster with a lot less trimming left to do. (I hate a weed eater) I sure understand the thought that goes into trying to get a machine that fits the bill for any application you might encounter. Good luck!
IMG_0059.jpg

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks All for the wonderful advice. I have made my mind up to go a different way for now and just use the old worn out mower another year. the MX5100 will suffice for the front loader and a shovel for the smaller work. I will someday probably get something similar in a kubota compact tractor.