To Buy or Not To Buy

To all that have responded, I sincerely THANK YOU ALL!!! Rarely, Have I encountered folks so forthright and eager to provide a stranger with so much valuable information. Each and every one of you has helped me to make this decision so much easier. I had been struggling before from really a lack of knowledge. Most reviews out there are from magazine articles or folks with an agenda. I was surprised at even how limited Kubota's site was in terms of information or even just showing it in action. I will say that they are the ONLY ones that in the few pictures they did have showed their UTV's being driven by folks without HELMETS and harnessed in seemingly awaiting blast-off. Once again I thank each of you for taking the time and having the patience to help me!

sjcolu

Options

I don't post much i do alot more reading because the wealth of knowledge you can get here. Anyway i didn't see it mentioned but i would really consider the windshield and roof top.

I did have the plastic canopy quoted but not the windshield. Figured as long as I don't smile and squint real tight I could keep the bugs out of my teeth and eyes! lol!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... I very well remember the day I picked up my RTV. Happy man I was. Dealer ask would I like to have a windshield. I told him " nope, don't need one, I can take the cold " >>>>

*** Less than 8 days later, loaded my RTV on a trailer and hauled it back 55 miles to my dealer, and had a Kubota Glass windshield installed. Best 550$ ever spent.

Thought we didn't need it. The cold coming over that RTV hood is much colder than the cold coming over the Honda Rubicons. Yep, it was a different cold. I didn't care if it cost three times that much. Our hands and faces like to froze off in that machine. We laugh about it now, but I very well remember telling myself that it is a shame for a man to spend this much on a machine, and not have a windshield on it. It is worth every nickel ....

Attachments

• Frozen RTV.jpg
    Frozen RTV.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Great observation. I'll probably use it more in the warmer months than in the winter. I decided to nix the V-plow option simply because I have the L3540 with a rear blade and like to play in the snow with it too. Though I have been told that I'll find other uses and excuses to use it more than I thought possible! ... Who knows, there may be another recreation of that haul back to dealer in my future as well! lol! :)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I did have the plastic canopy quoted but not the windshield. Figured as long as I don't smile and squint real tight I could keep the bugs out of my teeth and eyes! lol!

I've been without one since Feb of '05 and over 4000 hrs of seat time. It does get miserable out there- I've just been too tight to buy one yet. I will get something non breakable when I do though,because of all the limb slapping. I found a piece of plexi type plastic that I picked up for free and will try that this winter.- Mounting it temporally for the winter. I filled up my Mama's butane tank and the money was better spent there. I am thinking while the home made won't be pretty it also won't be permanent so I can just jerk it off on the nice winter days and yet it will still help keep the face and hands out of the wind .As you can see, I live in the south, if my winter were as hard as ya'lls, I would get a windshield of some sort- it will also add to the resale value . Good Luck, bordercollie

I imagine it would help in the winter ... but I'm pretty well insulated if you know what I mean. Doesn't it make it a bit stuffy in the summer though?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I love the wind in my face in the spring ,summer and fall. I wouldn't have one then. But if you are out at night ,the lights draw the bugs and it is tough- goggles or safety glasses are a necessity- and keep your mouth closed for sure -else you'll know how a mosquito catching bird feels. ;) bordercollie

I like mine with a little ketchup! You got me thinking though ... Wonder if humans can contract heart worms? Good thing my wife isn't reading this or I'd be buying the 1100 or that is until she got a look at the price tag!

XTROOPER

The reason I got the 1100 instead of the 900 is that when I lived in Vermont I used a Honda all wheel drive tractor with snow blower to keep my driveway clear of snow. It did a fantastic job, with one exception. I would have to wear a snow suit and the wind would blow the snow back in my face and all over me. I got frostbite even with all the clothing on. I vowed I would not do that in my golden years. Now the 1100 gets it so hot I have to plow snow in a t shirt.

XTROOPER

The reason I got the 1100 instead of the 900 is that when I lived in Vermont I used a Honda all wheel drive tractor with snow blower to keep my driveway clear of snow. It did a fantastic job, with one exception. I would have to wear a snow suit and the wind would blow the snow back in my face and all over me. I got frostbite even with all the clothing on. I vowed I would not do that in my golden years. Now the 1100 gets it so hot I have to plow snow in a t shirt.

XTROOPER

I understand that completely! I've had those issues with my L3540 though I haven't got the frost bite but I did manage to bury myself in the seat with snow a couple of times. The 1100's are beautiful inside and out but I figured I'd be doing a lot stop get out, get back in type stuff so I'd find myself not getting to enjoy the cabin too much and being a big guy didn't want to fight the doors etc... The thing that has always been my biggest stumbling block is deciding if I truly need anything at all. I've always pulled carts with either my JD Garden Tractor or used my old shortbed pickup when necessary. I've got about 47 years on this body and have been looking for ways to do things easier since I'm beginning to poop out when it seems I used to just be getting started. Most of my use will be around my house which has a lot of landscaping etc... and seems there's always something to do. My house sits on the highest point in the county and most of my property is on a slope so getting the wheel barrow out is fine going down but coming back up ... not so much. Likewise, I find the garden tractor and cart to be a pain to get on and off of etc... As for the L3540 w/FEL it's niche is moving materials such as mulch, snow, soil, pallets, and gravel. I've even filled the bucket with water in order to water plants where sprinklers don't reach. It's limitations are that it is a tractor so it's slow and is 17' long and weighs in about 6,000lbs so it can leave a mark on the lawn if I'm not really careful. I will use the 900 at my rental properties from time to time since when doing jobs there it will save me tons of time running to storage rooms etc... Like I've told folks many times I look at most things like this as tools the only difference here is that there is no direct monetary return. Decisions - Decisions.

XTROOPER

My neighbor told me got the 900 for the same reason, he is in and out of the machine a lot and felt the doors would be a pain. He told me that he is really surprised how much he uses the machine. I got the impression he didn't think he would use it too much. It turns out he is constantly on it doing chores on his old farmstead. He told me he would not be without one. One thing for sure, if you buy a Kubota part or have the dealer do any work, it will cost. The machines are expensive, I try to take good care of mine, I don't want to have to buy another one ever again. That may not be realistic, but I'll give it a try. Good luck on your decision.

XTROOPER

I'm pretty sure I'm going to move forward and buy one. I seem to always get to the point of pulling the trigger on most things of significant value then take a deep breath and make the shot. Usually just questioning myself more than anything since these things aren't cheap and any tool unused for any reason is money wasted. My decision will be made within the next few days.

DIXIEDOG

I'm pretty sure I'm going to move forward and buy one. I seem to always get to the point of pulling the trigger on most things of significant value then take a deep breath and make the shot. Usually just questioning myself more than anything since these things aren't cheap and any tool unused for any reason is money wasted. My decision will be made within the next few days.

I'm with you there....that's a lot of $$ to plunk down. Usually I lead into buying something big like that for awhile...I finally break down and buy it...then I second guess myself about it for the next couple months.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you there....that's a lot of $$ to plunk down. Usually I lead into buying something big like that for awhile...I finally break down and buy it...then I second guess myself about it for the next couple months.
Me too. Especially about the 2nd guessing myself. :yum: :yum:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Will the dealer bring a demo unit out to your place for a day?

I was hesitant myself when I was getting ready to pull the trigger but having a unit on my land and under my terms quelled my concerns (mainly hills) and I then knew it was right for me.

BTW - We really like spending other peoples money on accessories, so please set some $ aside for us to spend on your machine once you get it. :)

DocGP

One other thing to longevity, for me at least in SE TX, if you can store a kubota in a covered area and do at least minimum maintenance, they will last for many, many years. That sun is the killer. If kept in a barn, they are dang near life time investments.

Doc

** UPDATE **

I just green lighted my Dealer to start the paperwork on a 2011 RTVXT900 "S" package with delivery, canopy, turn signal kit, cover, ATV tires, 50 hour service and Kubota loss/damage insurance included. 0% for 60 months makes the payment like $250/mo (Sad thing is I've bought houses for less per month) I'll update you all when it's delivered. Again I'd like to thank everyone for their information it has been extremely helpful. Now to break the news to the wife...