Whats your mix ratio?

Mith

I was mixing some fuel for a lady this arvo, and asked what mix ratio she wanted. Turned out that her 2 stroke equip was running on a mix of 1 eggcup of oil, to a pint milk bottle of petrol. Seemed to have been working for the last 20 years, so I went with it :biggrin:

I run my stuff at 40:1 using the stihl brand oil. Oil comes in a convenient jug with a measuring thing, so it works for me.

What are you guys using, and how do you mix?

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
50:1

Bought a Jonsered chainsaw years ago and that was the mix. Seems everything I've bought since, even my Stihl brushcutter, use the same mix!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just picked up a couple of 2 cycle lawnboy push mowers. They take 32:1 It comes out to one pint for every 2 gallons of gas. I have a 2 gallon can just for the mix.
I thought my stihl chain saw used the same mix, but now your making me wonder about that since your stihl mixture is more like 40:1. :confused:

M

mtntopper

My Stihl stuff recommends 50:1, but I like to add the extra oil.

I have been told that more oil than is recommended/necessary creates more heat in the engine along with fouling the spark plugs. Too much oil really does not prolong engine life but may actually shorten the life of the 2 cycle engine. I now use 50:1 bulk Polaris 2 stroke oil in all of my 2 cycles and have not had any problems to date. Using a good quailty 2 cycle oil is probably the key to using less oil and longer engine life.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My stihl 026 calls for a 50:1 mix

Jim

hmmmm I have the 025, so I bet it's 50 to one also. I was also under the impression that more oil wouldn't hurt anything. Whoops.

So how do you mix your 50:1 gallons to pint or whatever?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
hmmmm I have the 025, so I bet it's 50 to one also. I was also under the impression that more oil wouldn't hurt anything. Whoops.

So how do you mix your 50:1 gallons to pint or whatever?

I buy the stihl oil in 6.4 ounce bottles. That mixes 2.5 gallons. A little more oil doesn't hurt a thing that I know of. I don't top off the gas can, just stop a little from the top.

Jim

B

bczoom

Most of my stuff uses 50:1 but not all so I also have a can of 32:1
When I need 40:1 (for the weedeater), I fill 1/2 way with each of the different cans to get the mix.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Most of my stuff uses 50:1 but not all so I also have a can of 32:1
When I need 40:1 (for the weedeater), I fill 1/2 way with each of the different cans to get the mix.

That's pretty dern smart BC!! :tiphat:

jwstewar

Staff member
The only things I have that require mixing are my chainsaw (sees little use) and the wife's Weedeater (sees no uses as I say it is a city weedeater and it won't cut our country weeds:brows: ). But both of those are 32:1. I bought some oil last time from Lowes or Wal-mart, don't remember which that says one mix for them all. You mix it at a certain quantity and then use it in all of your equipment it doesn't matter. Don't know if it is true or not. But I used my chainsaw for 2 days on it last fall and didn't have any problems.

B

bczoom

On a related note, one thing that almost all manufacturers say is NOT to use 2-cycle outboard engine oil (but I don't recall why)

PBinWA

I have a one gallon can. Whatever I have goes in it. 32:1, 40:1, 50:1 - I don't care. They're all close enough for me. I usually buy the little bottle of oil with the measuring thing in it and use it.

I've got too many stupid power tools to be fussing around with oil to fuel mixtures.