Carving bar for chainsaw, and boardcutting

Mith

This probably isnt the right place to ask, but someone might know something.

I've been thinking about the possibility of trying my hand to cutting some chunks of wood into interesting shapes. Make a change from steelwork.
I heard something about getting a special bar for a chainsaw for carving and cutting odd shapes. Anyone know any more about this?

Also, I occasionally get my hands on some nice bits of wood, and would quite like to try rough cutting some boards, to maybe make a surface such as a bench or table. I've seen those attachments you can get for chainsaws for this, but could I do it by screwing a board to either side of the log, and running the saw along it to keep a straight line?

Anyone given anything like this a try?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good question Jim.
I've never given it a try, but the primary things I have seen made are made from round trunks of trees that they can free stand. If the piece was small you would have to come up with a way of holding it in place, maybe that huge vise that you made or some screws if they still leave room for you to carve.

We bought a bear at a roadside stand where the guys who carve them sell their goods. You can watch them at work and they make it look so easy. I don't know if they use a special bar, but they primarily just use the tip of the chainsaw to do the work.

If I see them out when I go by I'll stop and ask about the bar. I only go that way every few weeks though, so it might be awhile before I can answer.

Mith

Doc, by chunks I meant pieces 18+" diameter, 5++' long.

I have a saw with a 10" bar on it, that would probably work for carving, but I would like to hear about special bars.

I'd appreciate if you could ask them about it.

Cheers

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I just saw an exerpt on chainsaw carving on RFD/TV. He used 8 different saws, all stock but one. The one was a 10" or 12" and custom made.