mahotra rear tires

muffler man

has anyone used the above tires. they are 14 ply and supposed to be flat resistant. they are made in india. are they difficult to mount?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry MM, I've never seen that make tires, nor have I mounted any big tractor tires. I watched a shop mount a set, looked tough to do from my perspective. Those puppies are heavy. You need the right equipment. Have you checked how much a tire shop would charge to mount them? You could have them delivered right to that shop ....just trying to help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with that tire either.

For mounting, I'd suggest you look around your area for a tire shop that has "farm service". They pull into your place with a truck and do the work right there.

When I changed the tires on my tractor, I talked to the shop and let them know I was in no hurry so they can just stop in when they're in the area and have some free time (cheaper rate as opposed to a dedicated service call).

The truck showed up, mounted 4 new tires on 4 new rims, removed the calcium from the existing tires, removed the old then mounted all 4 new tires and filled the rears with Rim-Guard.

I paid for the actual Rim-Guard used but I think labor for everything was $100 or less and my tractor never left the property.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a good price Zoom, We can't get the mobile units away without them charging 200 a trip. That is even for a valve stem replacement. This is something important to consider : INSIST ON STEEL VALVE STEMS ON ALL OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT ! Our less than a year old JD came with rubber stems. One has already went bad.. hense the 200 charge for road service. While he was here, got him to replace both rubber stems with steel. He said that those rubber ones are short lived. By the way, guess how they changed the stems? with a handyman jack and the tire adjusted to have the valve stem and tractor lift arms in line, The jack's base is against the lift arm and is jacked to push the deflated tire off the rim in that one place. fast fast and beats taking the tire off ! collie

muffler man

thanks for all your replies. the existing tire are not flat so i can put it on a trailer and take it to the tire shop.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is a good price Zoom, We can't get the mobile units away without them charging 200 a trip.
I think the difference is that you needed them thus the premium.

I told them to stop by anytime in the next several months. The tires/rims I had were still OK but the front tires were low on tread and the rear rims were rusting through due to the calcium. New tires/rims just had to happen sometime but I didn't care when.