Under the finish mower

haffasst

Guys, several weeks ago I hit a cast iron water meter box with my finish mower. I raised it yesterday and pressure washed under it. the upper spindal in the pic is leaning about 5 deg. I am going to try to bend the deck and straighten the spindal. Wish me luck.

btw notice the gator blades. I just went thru two hurricanes and I have been cutting tree limbs up to 3/4".

Attachments

• 100_1822.jpg
    100_1822.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_1824.jpg
    100_1824.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1825.jpg
    100_1825.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1827.jpg
    100_1827.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 18

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those blades do look like they'd do the job on those hurricane leftovers.

I would heat up the shaft before pounding on it to much. Should make it bend mucho easier.

haffasst

Doc, I'm going to try not to hit on the shaft. I think the deck is bent slightly and I'm going to try to bang it straight. :puke1:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I'm going to try not to hit on the shaft. I think the deck is bent slightly and I'm going to try to bang it straight. :puke1:
I meant the spindle but thought both the spindle and the shaft were one and the same. Either way good luck getting her back in business.

haffasst

I beat on it last night. Of course the deck is reinforced for about 12" around the spindal. I corrected some of the bend, and I turned it back over. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know by Monday.:tiphat:

jwstewar

Staff member
If the deck is bent that bad, I would be the spindle and shaft is bent as well.

haffasst

Well I took an 8# maul to the underside of the deck. It must have done some good, because I mowed with it Saturday and I saw no evidence of scalping. The spindle and shafts all looked good. I think it must have hit right on a spindle and while it didn't seem to hurt the spindle it bent it in the deck.

zionview

Halfasst, I hit the same thing with an Allis B112 and the spindle bent, but not the deck! My son hit one with his trim mower. The deck is fine. The crankshaft, however, is bent. Bummer.

haffasst

Yep zionview, my wife was helping me while I was at work and hit one with a lawn boy push mower. Bent the crank. That was the end of that mower.:yum:

Nothing like help.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Amateurs!

Try hitting a piece of pipe with a batwing, rip the center gearbox out of the deck, snap the shaft, and find yourself laying on the hood of the tractor with your face against the muffler :pat:

zionview

Holy Heck, Jim!! That had to hurt! At the prison farm I used to manage, an inmate hit the wrong hydraulic lever on a 15 foot batwing, folding the wings at full power with a JD4450. He was OK, but it cost 2 shafts for the wings, 2 universals, a seal for one of the gearboxes and a back window for the cab of the 4450. I took him awhile to get all the glass out of his hair and clothes. The worst part for him was telling the staff mechanic what he did.:shitHitsFan:

rback33

Holy Heck, Jim!! That had to hurt! At the prison farm I used to manage, an inmate hit the wrong hydraulic lever on a 15 foot batwing, folding the wings at full power with a JD4450. He was OK, but it cost 2 shafts for the wings, 2 universals, a seal for one of the gearboxes and a back window for the cab of the 4450. I took him awhile to get all the glass out of his hair and clothes. The worst part for him was telling the staff mechanic what he did.:shitHitsFan:
That's why I LOVE lever locks.... lock it in so you don't have to worry... you can pull all day on the wrong handle and it won't move.

haffasst

That's alright, I'll let that to you "pro's". Mine only made a little noise and I wasn't home when my wife bent the crank. Glad you weren't hurt, Just had to get some clean pants I bet.----LOL

haffasst

Amateurs!

Try hitting a piece of pipe with a batwing, rip the center gearbox out of the deck, snap the shaft, and find yourself laying on the hood of the tractor with your face against the muffler :pat:

That's alright I'll leave that to you "pro's". Mine just made a little noise and I wasn't home when my wife bent the crank. I'm glad you weren't hurt but I guess a change of pants was called for.:pat: