How to kill Multiflora?

B

bczoom

I"ve about tipped the tractor trying to get at big bunches of multiflora that is off to one side of the trail, so, I've learned to take care of it by hand (with a good set of leather gloves on).
Why not just kill it?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Why not just kill it?
I've tried. Used various sprays. I think it just pisses it off and it always comes back (not always stronger but sometimes stronger). I do believe it is the multiflora from hell.

If you have any secrets on how to kill it, please feel free to share them with me. I had the best success with something that killed all bark follage / and a poison I mixed with diesel fuel ...but those successes were short lived. And I own about 46 acres of the best multiflora growing soil you've ever seen. :eek:

B

bczoom

Best results are with a brush killer that uses 2, 4-D. (I can't even kill dandilions with the crap Round-Up is putting out these days). There's a lot of brands (I use Acme Super Brush Killer). I know many that use whatever brand is at Tractor Supply with very good results.

There's 2 ways (times) to apply. When they're dormant in the winter or a foliar treatment when the plant is growing.

The dormant/basal application has some benefits since it doesn't use as much volume of spray and can be done in the winter when you have very little else to do outside (and you're wearing long-sleeve clothing). I haven't had much success with this approach myself but you may want to consider it as a first-step.

The foliar approach (spray the active, growing bush) is done in the spring. This is where you spray the entire plant. This is when I have great success.

You may want to consider a mixed approach. Spray this winter and then whatever comes up next year, finish it off.

Goats are actually the best solution but you need about 6 per acre for 2 years for total eradication of the multiflora.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried the stuff at tractor supply, and the bark killing stuff I had to sign for at a local feed store.
There is so much multiflora that I'm thinking of trying one area this fall while it's dormant and hitting it again plus some other areas next spring.
Thanks for the tips BC!!!!!! :thumb:

Erik

I knocked mine back pretty good by doing a late spring burn this year - around the middle or end of April. This had the added benefit of kick starting my native grasses, so they did a real good job of out competing just about everything but the wild strawberries and sumac.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm wanting to kill it along my ATV trails. I have 4 or 5 miles of trail (guessing). The multiflora is not along all the trails but a very high percentage of them. Wish I could do a controlled burn, but that is not possible along these trails. Dang it

Erik

mix dish soap in your 2-4-d, t'll soak into the leaves better.
get one of the cheap 100k BTU weed burners and scorch it out of existence a patch at a time during the winter when the snow pack will help contain the fire?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BC, I am glad you brought the idea up of killing the dang stuff. Cutting it only makes it thrive.
I had not considered a weed burning tool Erik. That might work in places. Now you got me thinking.... :yum:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Now I have some planning and work to do.

B

bczoom

As Erik mentioned, you'll want to use a surfactant. With the brush killer, the most common surfactant is diesel. Read the directions but I believe it has to due with it mixing properly.

For burning, I found the sole use of the rosebud torches that Erik mentioned too slow when you need to burn in volume (and uses a lot of propane). What I do now is to take a 2 gallon pump sprayer and fill it with diesel (or kero). Add 1/2 to 1 quart of oil and shake/mix it up. Spray that on the bush and then torch it (using the rosebud or anything else that's good a getting diesel burning). Since the bush is now covered in fuel, it burns on its own.

Erik

Doc - another thought: once you've killed/burned an area, if there's room to get in with the tractor go in with your box blade, scarifers down, and rip the leftover roots out before reseeding with some shade tolerant low ground cover. (maybe clover so you don't have to mow?)