I may need a new tractor

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
About 14 acres of this stuff to clear and another 15 to clean out.

At a minimum the turf tires on the L3400 have to go.

Jim

Attachments

• 11-08-07_1022.jpg
    11-08-07_1022.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck with turfs tires. Go with R4's .....and get a ZTR for mowing duties.

(it's so easy to spends someone else's hard earned money. :hide: ) :D

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
How about getting a dozer for a day?

It might take more than a day. I'll get the rental price for two days.

The "new tractor" is tongue in cheek. Always take a stab at getting a new toy when there is a chance :hide:

Rental place a few miles away has a Cat track loader with a grapple on the lot. The model # is pretty scratched, maybe 953C?? I plan to stop there next time I go down and see what they have. Theres a good bit of hardwood in the area we want to clearcut. Maybe I can find someone who will cut and clear for the wood. I will rent a skid steer (tracked?) to clear the riding trail for my wife.

Once all that is done the 3400 will do everything I will need, but it will need R4's.

Jim

B

bczoom

Theres a good bit of hardwood in the area we want to clearcut. Maybe I can find someone who will cut and clear for the wood.

Jim
That may be viable.

Around here, there's lots of places that buy standing timber. They actually come out with a dozer to make the trails, drag the logs out then use the dozer again for clean-up.

If you're thinking of this approach, don't sell yourself short. If you have decent sized hardwoods, the logging company may give you decent $ for it. It could very well be a lot more $$$ than just having them do the clear-cut for you.

A lot of variables (size & types of trees, terrain/access, value of a particular hardwood...) but around here, the rates equate to about $1000-1500/acre of lumber.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
around here, the rates equate to about $1000-1500/acre of lumber.

That's better than I thought. I was hoping for just getting them to pull the stumps and level things out. Sounds like I could make enough to trade the L3400 for something a little larger maybe with a cab.

Jim

B

bczoom

That's better than I thought.
As mentioned, there's lots of variables but you can start shopping around. They're more than eager to go in and see what you have. Get lots of estimates as I've found they're all over the board on values.

I don't have the info for VA but around here, Maple prices are on the rise and most everything else is relatively flat.

If you're thinking about having it logged out, start a new thread. There's a lot of discussion points about getting it done (and not getting screwed).

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm covered for maintenance. Anyone notice something odd about the first two other than they are across the street from each other?

The Kubota dealer:
Rocky Mount Tractor
21289 Virgil H. Goode Hwy.
Rocky Mount , VA 24151

The JD cut and small stuff dealer
ANDERSON LAWN & GARDEN
21200 VIRGIL H GOODE HWY
ROCKY MOUNT, VA 24151

The JD ag dealer
ANDERSON TRACTOR & EQUIPMENT
11160 VIRGIL H. GOODE HWY
ROCKY MOUNT VA 24151

There's a MF dealer in town on Main St and and I saw a place that had a lot full of used ag stuff too.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
That's better than I thought. I was hoping for just getting them to pull the stumps and level things out. Sounds like I could make enough to trade the L3400 for something a little larger maybe with a cab.

Jim

A timber company will usually pay for minimum size 8" premium log (cherry) and 10" (maple, oak, ash). If it's smaller you'll have to convince him to do it for free clearing if you have nothing larger than I stated that he'll want to buy.

I had 8 acres of select cut (cherry, maple, locus and live oak) taken 2 years ago. Bids ran from $900 to $1500 and acre. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one I accepted. Try to get the bid with no 1099 so you get the full benefit if you know what I mean!!! BTW ........ timber companies do NOT remove stumps on a select cut! Clear cuts are very messy!

B

bczoom

Bids ran from $900 to $1500 and acre.

BTW ........ timber companies do NOT remove stumps on a select cut! Clear cuts are very messy!

$1500 * 20 acres = $30,000. You can do a lot of stump removal and clear-cutting for that kind of coin.

I'd consider bringing in a firewood company after the loggers. Let them take out the tops and smaller trees. No idea what kind of $ they would offer. After that, a dozer, excavator and burn pile can make pretty quick work of the remainder. A big hold with the excavator will take care of whatever stumps don't want to burn.