B4200 front hydraulics quit working.

2old2shovel

I was using a friends' old B4200 this morning and was playing around with a rototiller he has mounted on the back. Per his instructions, I turned the knob to activate the rear hydraulics and engaged the PTO. After a couple of minutes of playing with it I switched back to the front hydraulics but the bucket will not respond.
What did I do wrong? My theory is the machine is low on fluid and the act of switching from front to rear and back again was all it needed to do to stop working but I could be wrong.
I can go back to rear and the tiller will lift and lower.
If it hydraulic fluid level, what kind does it take?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I turned the knob to activate the rear hydraulics

If it hydraulic fluid level, what kind does it take?
I'm not familiar with that particular tractor but what knob needs turned to activate hydraulics? The only knob I can think of related to hydraulics is the one normally under the seat that controls the float speed for the 3-point hitch.

As for which oil, I'd check the level and if it's low, mention it to the owner and ask if he has a preference. If not, most any hyd fluid should work. I spoil my tractor and use JD's Hy-Gard.

2old2shovel

I figured it out. There is a knob under the seat. One way and it the rear hydraulics are active. Turn it 180 degrees and the front hydraulics are active. My problem was after I raised the tiller and turned the controller, I had to move the 3 point hitch control back to the raise position. Beats me why I had to but all is well. Thanks for the response!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got it!! Sick feeling when you think you broke someone's tractor, isn't it.

2old2shovel

Yes, I'm very glad. It's kind of a weird arrangement, It's a pretty old machine but the two cylinder diesel just keeps on chugging along.

You know, the owner caught me in a weak moment or I would never had agreed to use it. I never borrow anything I can't afford to replace. And if I can afford to replace it, I just go out and buy the damn thing. Last winter someone stole a wood splitter I was using. The owner of the splitter was the recipient of the wood I was splitting but still..it was his splitter someone stole. So, I ended up paying $1000 for a $500 splitter that I don't even have. Neither borrower or lender be.

RetiredLE

Glad I am not the only one here who thinks that way. I hate to borrow stuff because if I break it, I own it. I would just rather buy new if I can afford it, or used if I can't.

Mike