What a mess!

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Apparently fiberglass hardener (or perhaps the fiberglass resin itself) goes bad when exposed to freezing temps. How do I know this? Well I’ll tell you. I have a shower insert (plastic) and it had a crack in the floor pan. After I sanded and cleaned it aggressively, I went out to the (non heated) barn and got the fiberglass resin, hardener and cloth.

I mixed what I considered to be a fairly hot batch and applied it. I’ve always thought the floor was a little spongy so I basically built another entire fiberglass pan. I did a remarkably nice job and retired for the night. But what should have hardened in 10 minutes was still goo this AM when I got up.

I made some coffee and faced the fact that the fiberglass wasn’t going to harden and I was going to have to remove it. I’m now 2 hours into the removal process and no end in sight. A putty knife worked to scrape up most of it but the rest has been quite stubborn.

Whatever happened to the resin changed the molecular makeup into something that is resistant to normal solvents. I’ve soaked it with paint thinner and even tried gas, but it just remains goo.

It won’t cut with solvent so I can’t get it out and it won’t dry so I can’t sand it. I’m reluctant to put new fiberglass over the top of it but I don’t know what else to do.

Any ideas?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That does sound like a mess. No pictures to get an exact feel for what you're looking at but in my mind, I'd consider taking a grinder or sawzall and cutting the old floor out completely. Cut a piece of plywood to fit and start over with that as your base.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Or you might consider letting it stand longer and see if it eventually sets up any better over time.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Or you might consider letting it stand longer and see if it eventually sets up any better over time.
After 15 hours it wasn't getting any better Doc. I scrapped and scrapped until I had most of it cleaned up and then I sanded like a mad man. The powder from the sanding mixed with the film of goo and eventually I got 80% of it up. Just finished putting down the new cloth and resin. What a bitch, a simple 3 hour job turned into a nightmare.

Story of my life...

Edit: I think I'll go visit my neighbor. :wink: