First mow of the season

Mith

Been mowing a couple of weeks now here.
68 degrees right now, and with all the rain we have had the grass is shooting up. It could really do with a quick run over it with a chain harrow or something to lift the grass up.
Maybe I'll go and borrow my sweeper back from my parents, that does a nice job :D

Doesnt look quite this nice now, got some nice muddy tracks across the middle of it from where I got the truck stuck, and then the tractor stuck, and then the digger stuck. That was a long evening/night.......

Image075.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good Mith. I thought you normally started mowing in March. I feel for ya. I won't to be far behind. I'll have to mow in a week or two.
Sounds like a rough night when you got all that stuff stuck. :yum:

PBinWA

I mowed and de-thatched last week. It was snowing yesterday so I don't expect too much mowing too soon. I need to aerate soon so I'll probably mow at the same time to chew up the branches and crud that landed on the lawn over the winter.

chowhound

No mowing here yet. The grass is still laying down and the ground supersaturated. And I got a flat last mow of the season.... I couldn't find the leak with soap bubbles a few days ago, so we'll see what happens when I get it off the jackstand.

Jeep

have mowed twice in the past two weeks with all this rain the grass and weeds grow fast in east texas Jeep

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Got back from Dallas and mowed the yard for the first time this year. Got the "big boy", GL4740 fired up and started mowing the pasture. Parts of the yard look really bad this year. There seems to be a lot more weeds and junk grass than usual. I did use the back-pack sprayer to hit some of the weeds a couple of weeks ago but it looks as if I'll have to get serious about it this coming week.

I need to check out the sprinkler system out too and replace at least two of the heads.

I need to get the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash and melons in the ground this next week.

Also need to get the pool ready for the coming year, don't know why, nobody uses it anymore, but it's got to be done.

I need to finish power washing the gazebo over the hot tub so I can get it stained and weather sealed.

No doubt other things will turn up but that should keep me busy for the next week or so. Retirement isn't all about swinging in a hammock.

B

bczoom

All the sticks have been picked up and the first coat of fertilizer (Urea) has been put down.

The mower is ready to go but it'll probably be a couple more weeks.

I need to roll it but it's been a little too dry. Rain all day today so I may do it tomorrow.

The weed-n-feed fertilizer will be put down at the end of the month.

chowhound

I've rolled once already. My neighbor (who built the roller) also built an aerator a couple years ago. The aerator can be hooked up behind the roller in tandem. It probably looks a little odd, but it works. We use our 4 wheelers and can roll the yard pretty quick :wink:

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I gotta change the oil, etc., clean up the deck better and spray it with Fluid Film, and change out a belt on the LX176 tomorrow. I'm only about a week behind on starting mowing, but rain every other day almost - heavy rains yesterday. Gotta let it dry out some, mow Sun or Mon. The grass hasn't greened up yet, just all the fershlugginger weeds!

Fred

shvl73

You guys are way ahead of us. The ground is extremely wet here:umbrella:, still a little snow at the edge of the field. I wanted to go out to the shed at the far end of the field to get the chipper but, way too wet, leaving deep tracks. Gotta wait a few more weeks. I have to start working on the old hay rake and service my baler but, can't get to them without wrecking the lawn as I cross it. Patience!

chowhound

Beautiful day here today, sunny and in the forties I think, so I rolled and aerated. This morning the dealer picked up my ZD326. Apparently there's something wrong with a ground wire somewhere, but I didn't get a notice from Kubota. It will still be at least a few weeks before anyone fires up a mower around here.

Attachments

• atv & roller.jpg
    atv & roller.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 240

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is a slick setup you have there CH. I would like to rig up something like that. Now you got me thinking.

Still haven't mowed here but it won't be long the grass is greening up and starting to grow.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
First mowing here yesterday, fertilized 2 weeks ago.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CH, can you take a pic of the connection between the Aerator and the roller?

chowhound

CH, can you take a pic of the connection between the Aerator and the roller?

I just happened to take this pic earlier :wink:

My neighbor made the roller so the frame goes all around, so adding a plate with a hole in it to accept the tongue of the aerator was a simple task. He only made the aerator 2-3 years ago, but his design on the roller worked out well.
If you want a closeup I can get one tomorrow, but they won't be hooked up. Let me know.

Attachments

• roller and aerator2.jpg
    roller and aerator2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 233

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From that angle the roller looks huge. Yes, I would like a close up or two please. :thumb: :D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't mowed yet. But it could use it this weekend over the leach field and where the dog has fertilized things. But it's still wet here and we are expecting lots of rain tonight and tomorrow. That will make it impossible this weekend and things will get pretty high by the next weekend.

Erik

no mowing yet.
got to burn most of the pasture last night and it only really got away from me once, and that was towards the road, so it wasn't a problem.
raining like all get-out tonight, so I hope everything doesn't erode into the pond.