Storm

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I was a little affected by it but the wife says I ain't been right for years.:whistling: Seriously, our power blinked twice just long enough to make the TV and computers reboot. We had awful wind for almost 3 days and over 3" of rain.Things were not bad at all. Lots of folks around lost power for a day or 2 but all are back on.

Treehouse

Site Supporter
Sandy treated us pretty rough in western maryland

We got pretty well hammered out here in western Maryland. Weather service recorded 28" of heavy snow in Red House, our place is higher up the mountain and probably saw closer to 3' of snow.

We had a real close call when 50 foot hemlock came down within inches of the house but no damage. Things are still pretty rough in these parts, no power for more than 2,000 homes and thousands upon thousands of downed trees throughout the county. Low tonight is going to be about 20 degrees. The local utility-along with the state and national guard-have been working 24/7 to get us restored and hope to have everyone back by Tuesday night.

I'll send some pictures if I can figure out how to load 'em.

Sure am glad I put a 5,000 lb winch on the rtv900 this spring as I never would have got my driveway cleared of fallen trees without it.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
They are both fine. Folks in WV got a bunch of snow. The next storm that is brewing up for Wed. and Thurs. will hit the same areas again. We expect some snow but just east of here should get the most accumulation.

Treehouse

Site Supporter
pictures

here are a few pictures from Sandy's visit to Western MD, hope i managed to get them turned right side up. Sorry there are no pictures of the 'bota saving the day---she was too busy workin'

long time reader of the forum. great community you've built up here. more of a reader than a writer but figured I finally had something to share.....

Attachments

• hemlock near miss.jpg
    hemlock near miss.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 92
  • sandy blocks driveway.jpg
    sandy blocks driveway.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 90
  • sandy hemlock 2.jpg
    sandy hemlock 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 89

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
They are both fine. Folks in WV got a bunch of snow. The next storm that is brewing up for Wed. and Thurs. will hit the same areas again. We expect some snow but just east of here should get the most accumulation.

Thanks muleman. Glad to hear you other members are ok Treehouse and 20/20.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I'm good. Thanks for asking :) I was all prepped and nothing but rain and wind. I haven't been in the woods to check for downed trees but I'm sure there's some there.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Everybody up there, Glad all is well you folks up there.
We were doing some praying down here for ya'll......

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know that we have many members along the coast but those folks are hurting bad. Those of us who live in the sticks are usually better prepared to deal with power failures etc. A week without power after a bad ice storm years ago taught me a lot. Folks in NJ and Staten island are used to the utility and government taking care of things and most have not prepared at all when something like this happens. Now the cold has rolled in and another storm is building to bring a lesser version of Sandy to the same areas. There are thousands who have no home to go back to. Those are the folks who need our prayers.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Younger Daughter (bicycle girl) is presently a grad student at Princeton, which is inland in New Jersey. The center of the storm must have passed within a few miles. The campus had a lot of down trees and had to switch on their generators but apparently there was little serious impact.

But Younger Daughter wasn't present during the chaos. That was the week she visited China on semester break with a group of fellow students.

This kid must get her luck and smarts from my wife ....... :pat:

Heatwave

"a grad student at Princeton...."

I'm impressed. Congratulations, dad. Best wishes to your daughter.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on both counts Cali. :clap: :clap: :clap:

When done with school will she bicycle back to the west coast?

Visited China on semester break. :eek: Dang that girl likes to travel, doesn't she? Good for her. Do it while you are young and unencumbered. :thumb: