To Buy or Not To Buy

I've been kicking the tires on UTV's for quite a while. The problem is that it's hard to find anyone who will give you first hand information. Every machine I've looked at has been the "Best" according to the dealer or person selling it but I have narrowed my focus to the RTV but am curious whether those who own them would buy them again and/or recommend them to others. This to me says a lot. I would be using it around the house and to haul to my apartment complex to assist on jobs and projects there. I am not looking for speed, trail or thrill riding, I am looking for rock solid durability and reliability. I am also considering the Boss V-XT Snow Plow for it if I decide to take the plunge. The 0% for 60 months is really got me ready. I bought my tractor on the same terms a few years back.

Any and All suggestions welcome ... even down to what options are must have and those that aren't worth the money.

DIXIEDOG

I've got a RTV 500 and it's a decent machine, I will say if I was to buy another machine I would likely buy more of a sport machine so I would have more suspension travel and speed. The 500 is a workhorse....it's a snow plowing animal and runs great. The suspension is where it's lacking, if you trail ride it will flat out beat you at any speed.

I'm also having a rusting issue on the headboard of the bed, the paint is all lifting and there is rust under it....my unit is 1 1/2 yrs old. If I bought another machine today it would likely be a JD 855D.

XTROOPER

I had a Cub Cadet UTV prior to getting a 2008 RTV 1100. The Cub Cadet just was not heavy duty enough for what I needed. I shattered the snow plow on my 1/3 mile shale driveway. I have been really been impressed by the Kubota. I use it to haul my firewood and use it to plow snow during the winter. The enclosed cab for snow plowing is outstanding.
I would buy another Kubota without hesitation. If you do pull the trigger on a Kubota, this site is like having a Kubota tech for a good friend. Folks here go out of their way to give advice and help. Good luck.

P.S. I also shattered a Curtis plow on the RTV, I went with the Blizzard snow plow and am very happy with it. My neighbor has an RTV 900 with the Boss plow and he loves it.

XTROOPER

I've looked at the 855D and it uses the CVT transmission which for speed etc... probably rock solid but for hardwork it looks light vs shaft drive of RTV 900. As for the RTV 500 & JD 855D, I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 350lbs so I found it tight to get into them vs the RTV 900. The JD looks aggressive but a lot of it is plastic and pushing the speed issue.
The 900 also seemed to have heavier guage steel throughout. As for trail riding, I have no interest. The closest thing to trails maybe if I were to take it hunting but doubt the diesel will sneak up on anything and the 900 is wider and really not built for most ATV trails so again not a consideration. Fortunately while my properties are hilly they are fairly smooth so don't have to worry about getting beat to death.

It would be great if JD did have a good product that I could fit in comfortably since a JD dealer is less than 2 miles from me (which is where I've inspected them in minutia). I do have a JD 445 Garden Tractor and despite it's $10,000 price tag it's never impressed me much either for quality of cut etc...

Thanks for the reply!

I had a Cub Cadet UTV prior to getting a 2008 RTV 1100. The Cub Cadet just was not heavy duty enough for what I needed. I shattered the snow plow on my 1/3 mile shale driveway. I have been really been impressed by the Kubota. I use it to haul my firewood and use it to plow snow during the winter. The enclosed cab for snow plowing is outstanding.
I would buy another Kubota without hesitation. If you do pull the trigger on a Kubota, this site is like having a Kubota tech for a good friend. Folks here go out of their way to give advice and help. Good luck.

P.S. I also shattered a Curtis plow on the RTV, I went with the Blizzard snow plow and am very happy with it. My neighbor has an RTV 900 with the Boss plow and he loves it.

XTROOPER

I was impressed with the Kubota L3540 w/FEL I purchased a few years ago and was the reason I gave the RTV a good look and have liked what I've seen (except for the price tag that is) but I guess quality usually comes with a price tag. My Kubota dealer is also a BOSS dealer and recommends the Boss V-Plows over the Kubota ones that cost more money. The BOSS has self contained hydraulics and connects/disconnects in 2 minutes or less.

Thanks for your reply ... it is moving me closer to buying!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hello and Welcome to the forum !!!!

I can honestly say, I love my RTV. And if it something would happen today, 'ole Two Guns would buy another one in the morning. It just that simple.
Can't speak on the 500, 1100, 1140, but can preach to you much on the 900 !!!

Mine is a workhorse. PERIOD. ....... and mine in not the only one. There is a member on here that just replaced one the has many, many hours on it, and that member works the devil out of theirs, but I will let them tell you about that.

If you are looking for speed, sport, funning around...... DON'T buy the RTV. But if you want a dependable unit that is always there. The 900 is it !!! Strong as a Ox.

I use mine for deer management / hunting / running in the swamps and fields here in Louisiana.

Owned and worked around many utiltiy vehicles, some are good in it's own way. But for work, The Kubota RTV 900 has worked in every way for us here......

....... two guns

Attachments

• fox relaxing.gif
    fox relaxing.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 208
Hello and Welcome to the forum !!!!

I can honestly say, I love my RTV. And if it something would happen today, 'ole Two Guns would buy another one in the morning. It just that simple.
Can't speak on the 500, 1100, 1140, but can preach to you much on the 900 !!!

Mine is a workhorse. PERIOD. ....... and mine in not the only one. There is a member on here that just replaced one the has many, many hours on it, and that member works the devil out of theirs, but I will let them tell you about that.

If you are looking for speed, sport, funning around...... DON'T buy the RTV. But if you want a dependable unit that is always there. The 900 is it !!! Strong as a Ox.

I use mine for deer management / hunting / running in the swamps and fields here in Louisiana.

Owned and worked around many utiltiy vehicles, some are good in it's own way. But for work, The Kubota RTV 900 has worked in every way for us here......

....... two guns

TWO GUNS;

I appreciate your reply and those of the others thus far ... I've gotten more honest and forth right information in such a short time vs the days and hours I have spent looking elsewhere. I understand that nothing is perfect for everything. My focus no matter what is durability, reliability, and function. It seems the durability is the problem child with most brands and some of that may be due to lack of maintenance, exposure/use to/in the elements etc... but my feeling is that since I can't control the weather it should hold up reasonably well with little effort. I've seen Kubota has made some changes over the years to some things but mostly tweeks not overhauls which says the original design was solid and continues to be. I'm not knocking the competition but they all seem light and built for speed or ground travel over rough terrain. I guess this is kind of like a small 3/4 ton dump truck with 4wd and a tractor engine and drive train just a bit faster. Thanks Again!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
What ever you do, PLEASE shop around for a dependable dealer. Price is not always the best buy.
I hear many horror stories, not just from other dealers, from Kubota dealers included.

There are some super people out there that is willing to help you in many ways. Just got to find them. If there is any more questions, feel free to throw them at us. We will do all we can to help !!! And the great thing about it, after you make your purchase, we also help you pick out accessories to spend your $$$ on !!!

......... jamie

Attachments

• SMILEY FACE.gif
    SMILEY FACE.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 205

XTROOPER

Oh, ArchwoodHolding, I forgot to tell you my neighbor just bought his 2 nd RTV 900. He often sees me going by his home with huge loads of firewood on my RTV and the trailer I'm hauling. He is very fussy about the equipment he uses and he has a lot of it from zero turn mowers to three very large Kubota tractors. My neighbor going for his second RTV really would put it in perspective. With all the equipment he has, he is always telling me how much he loves the RTV.

XTROOPER

Thanks Guys for the information and warm welcome! Now it looks like the only one to convince is my wife! lol!

BTW, Are there any options I should consider out of the gate? I'm looking at the sprayed on bedliner and turn signals (since I'll be in parking lot of apartment complex & want something flashing so they see me) and hydro dump bed. I think the only other items I was looking at was the plastic canopy and a cover in case I'd need to leave it set out over night ... (I already have a wheel boot so it'll stay where ever I'd leave it ... I also plan on having the Kubota insurance on it as well) The other item was the Boss V-XT 6'6" Snow Plow. I was quoted $13,450 for the RTV and options shown above + $3,295 for the Boss Plow all plus tax. So if I go with all of it, I'm looking at about $17,500 out the door. Does this sound right or should I push for a better price? It could all be financed at 0% for 60 months.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Archwoodholding, thought provoking name?

I'm a fairly new RTV 900 owner. I purchased a 2011 RTV 900 XT on July 12, 2011. I'd heard too many war stories about common replacments of the CVT belts. As a result, I only seriously considered non-CVT units; however, I did try out a few. Only two non-CVT brand names exists to my knowledge. Honda and Kubota. THe Honda is pretty nice, yet possesses lots of plastic. Furthermore, the Honda Big Red MUV has been in existence for less than 3 years. I was afraid that too many unknowns remain for the Big Red. I spoke to friend that owns an RTV 500. He stated he would not purchase another one, like his previously owned Mule much better. The RTV 500 was low on power.

The RTV 900 XT possesses some very good upgrades. Previous RTV 900 were known to be have tremendous engine/transimission braking that contributed to failed driveshafts/u-joints. The XT has upgraded drive train and including heavier u-joints with grease zerks, something missing on the predecessors. The transmission has also been modified to reduce the engine/transmission braking, although the braking is still there which I believe is good. The XT has a full height back rest which I like much better than the previous models. Lastly, the XT has better acceleration than previous models.

Kubota missed some issues. The RTV 900 General Purpose and Worksite versions have the air filter mounted in from of the right rear tire with a short vertically mounted snorkel. This is a very dusty location for the engine air resulting in the need to clean the air filter often. The Utility version has a high rise air filter system factory installed. The filter canister and filter is also larger. This same high rise air filter system can be installed on the GP and Worksite models. Other options are extending the snorkel vertically to suck air from a cleaner location. Many of this forum members have changed the air intake with either Kubota pn V4271 installation or extended the snorkel tube. Both methods are successful.

Kubota installed the ignition switch beneath the steering wheel. For some drivers, this location results in their knee contacting the switch when exitting the seat resulting in the key rotating to the accessory position. When at this position, the hour meter operates without the engine running resulting in excessive accumulation of un-operated hours on the meter.

I use the RTV similar to your needs, but mine is used only for farm use. The 1900 lbs RTV weight is a plus to me. The weight coupled with the three cyclinder diesel and hydrostatic transmission results in one hell of a pulling machine.

It's not fast and it does not have the smoothest suspension. These two attributes go well together. Can't imaging needing to drive 50 mph and certainly can't imagine 50 mph without a smooth suspension. Rest assure, the leaf spring rear suspension is highly proven.

For your use I'd recommend the worksite version since the hydraulic dump is standard. If the snow plow you plan to purchase requires the RTV hydraulics, then I'd get the Utility version since it is capable of operating hydraulic accessories. The worksite model has a plastic hydraulic oil reservoir designed for limited hydraulic usage. I've been told that using the hydraulics on the worksite model for other task can lead to elevated oil temperatures that could lead to melting the plastic tank. The utility model has an extra steel tank and oil cooler.

The "S" series comes standard with spray-in bedliner, hydraulic dump, and alluminum wheels.

I highly suggest getting a canopy. I have the $233 plastic version.

Consider the correct tire for your usage. I went with the ATV bar tread tire since mine is used primarily on grass with occasional mud. I hear the worksite tire doesn't self clean well resulting in loss of traction in mud.

Lastly, this owners group forum is priceless. I've been participating for only 3 months and already feel like a member of this family. These people care for each other. The information/experience available through this forum is overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!

FYI. My 2011 RTV 900 XT Worksite model with ATV tires, plastic canopy, and speedometer cost $12, 079.

Archwoodholding, thought provoking name?

I'm a fairly new RTV 900 owner. I purchased a 2011 RTV 900 XT on July 12, 2011. I'd heard too many war stories about common replacments of the CVT belts. As a result, I only seriously considered non-CVT units; however, I did try out a few. Only two non-CVT brand names exists to my knowledge. Honda and Kubota. THe Honda is pretty nice, yet possesses lots of plastic. Furthermore, the Honda Big Red MUV has been in existence for less than 3 years. I was afraid that too many unknowns remain for the Big Red. I spoke to friend that owns an RTV 500. He stated he would not purchase another one, like his previously owned Mule much better. The RTV 500 was low on power.

The RTV 900 XT possesses some very good upgrades. Previous RTV 900 were known to be have tremendous engine/transimission braking that contributed to failed driveshafts/u-joints. The XT has upgraded drive train and including heavier u-joints with grease zerks, something missing on the predecessors. The transmission has also been modified to reduce the engine/transmission braking, although the braking is still there which I believe is good. The XT has a full height back rest which I like much better than the previous models. Lastly, the XT has better acceleration than previous models.

Kubota missed some issues. The RTV 900 General Purpose and Worksite versions have the air filter mounted in from of the right rear tire with a short vertically mounted snorkel. This is a very dusty location for the engine air resulting in the need to clean the air filter often. The Utility version has a high rise air filter system factory installed. The filter canister and filter is also larger. This same high rise air filter system can be installed on the GP and Worksite models. Other options are extending the snorkel vertically to suck air from a cleaner location. Many of this forum members have changed the air intake with either Kubota pn V4271 installation or extended the snorkel tube. Both methods are successful.

Kubota installed the ignition switch beneath the steering wheel. For some drivers, this location results in their knee contacting the switch when exitting the seat resulting in the key rotating to the accessory position. When at this position, the hour meter operates without the engine running resulting in excessive accumulation of un-operated hours on the meter.

I use the RTV similar to your needs, but mine is used only for farm use. The 1900 lbs RTV weight is a plus to me. The weight coupled with the three cyclinder diesel and hydrostatic transmission results in one hell of a pulling machine.

It's not fast and it does not have the smoothest suspension. These two attributes go well together. Can't imaging needing to drive 50 mph and certainly can't imagine 50 mph without a smooth suspension. Rest assure, the leaf spring rear suspension is highly proven.

For your use I'd recommend the worksite version since the hydraulic dump is standard. If the snow plow you plan to purchase requires the RTV hydraulics, then I'd get the Utility version since it is capable of operating hydraulic accessories. The worksite model has a plastic hydraulic oil reservoir designed for limited hydraulic usage. I've been told that using the hydraulics on the worksite model for other task can lead to elevated oil temperatures that could lead to melting the plastic tank. The utility model has an extra steel tank and oil cooler.

The "S" series comes standard with spray-in bedliner, hydraulic dump, and alluminum wheels.

I highly suggest getting a canopy. I have the $233 plastic version.

Consider the correct tire for your usage. I went with the ATV bar tread tire since mine is used primarily on grass with occasional mud. I hear the worksite tire doesn't self clean well resulting in loss of traction in mud.

Lastly, this owners group forum is priceless. I've been participating for only 3 months and already feel like a member of this family. These people care for each other. The information/experience available through this forum is overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!

FYI. My 2011 RTV 900 XT Worksite model with ATV tires, plastic canopy, and speedometer cost $12, 079.

Thanks for the information it is invaluable to me. I forgot to mention that I asked the dealers to include the 50 hour service in their quote along with the Kubota Insurance Loss/Damage. I learned prior to buying my L3540 that the 50 hour service was running on average about $750 in my area so when I negotiated for it I did so with 50 hour service included in the price. I also asked them to include the 50 hour service for the RTV in their pricing as well which seemed to hit around $13,500 or so from the 3 dealers around me.

Here's what the last one sent me:

Kubota RTV900XTWL-H
Plastic Canopy
Turn Signal/Hazard Lights
RTV Cover
Delivered with First 50 Hour Service & Insurance

$13550

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I Love my RTV

Hi . I've been side tracked today working with the RTV or I would have responded earlier.-Cows cows cows. I just bought my second RTV in mid August and must say I am very pleased with it. I sold my '05 quickly with a waiting in line list of folks ready- the documented maintenance and hydraulic dump were the first things that seemed to matter to those who called.and the high hours of over 4,000 didn't matter to most since it was a Kubota and taken care of. The '11 year models have several improvements- but the older models still put the other brand UTVs to shame. The RTV is a real work horse and is built tough - I drove my unit in pasture and cropland everyday..
I really enjoy the RTV- you know how hard it is to wrangle in and out of a truck- well the open air kubota is a breeze- just hop in and out. One thing about them though- they are all keyed alike. I think the 0% ends with this month too. On the price, I paid $12,7 for the RTV 900 "S" model- with ATV tires, spray in bedliner, speedometer ,plastic canopy front mud flaps and shiny alloy wheels. It first had the WS tires but since I've had them on the '05 and they didn't work for me on it, I knew I didn't want them . The dealer changed them to the atv type since I'm in mud a lot in the winter and just mounted on the alloy rims. If you need to use a wheel lock where you keep it, might should stay away from those rims .. Good luck!! bordercollie

Hi . I've been side tracked today working with the RTV or I would have responded earlier.-Cows cows cows. I just bought my second RTV in mid August and must say I am very pleased with it. I sold my '05 quickly with a waiting in line list of folks ready- the documented maintenance and hydraulic dump were the first things that seemed to matter to those who called.and the high hours of over 4,000 didn't matter to most since it was a Kubota and taken care of. The '11 year models have several improvements- but the older models still put the other brand UTVs to shame. The RTV is a real work horse and is built tough - I drove my unit in pasture and cropland everyday..
I really enjoy the RTV- you know how hard it is to wrangle in and out of a truck- well the open air kubota is a breeze- just hop in and out. One thing about them though- they are all keyed alike. I think the 0% ends with this month too. On the price, I paid $12,7 for the RTV 900 "S" model- with ATV tires, spray in bedliner, speedometer ,plastic canopy front mud flaps and shiny alloy wheels. It first had the WS tires but since I've had them on the '05 and they didn't work for me on it, I knew I didn't want them . The dealer changed them to the atv type since I'm in mud a lot in the winter and just mounted on the alloy rims. If you need to use a wheel lock where you keep it, might should stay away from those rims .. Good luck!! bordercollie

I'm glad to hear how much respect folks seem to have for the RTV's that despite what might seem like high hours overall it wasn't a major factor. I also find it encouraging that you went right back to the RTV. I've had the dealer trying to sell me on the 1100 but I thought the cab with the doors and everything would make getting in and out cumbersome. Yeah it gets pretty cold here and pretty hot and humid as well but I think I prefer the open air of the 900 and the ease of getting into and out of it.

The all keyed alike thing sounds like the Bobcats and that maybe Kubota wants them to disappear (probably because they know we'll replace them)

I'll have to see which model designation I was quoted ... I'm reasonably sure it was the worksite model but couldn't swear to it just sent the dealer etc... As for tires, I want something that will grab in the snow yet not tear up the grass which may be a difficult balance. I have the industrial tires on my tractor and while it eats up the snow it will shred loose ground like the ag tires will so careful caution is the rule when the ground is wet or soft.

I didn't expect to get this much information and responses to my posting. Thank You sounds so insignificant but I'm so appreciative for all of the time that everyone has taken to help me make a more informed decision.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have the industrial tires on my tractor and while it eats up the snow it will shred loose ground like the ag tires will so careful caution is the rule when the ground is wet or soft.

The ATV tires that Kubota has is good. Not to hard on grass, but helps in the slick spots some.
All the other tires Kubota offers is worthless to me. I run the ATV in the warmer, dryer months.
Have run them some in the slick mud some, not serious, but better than nothing at all until we throw the 589's, that are mud hoggers, but we need them in the swamps.
We run the ATV Kubota tires around the grasses by the barns and houses here, and they really don't give us not " turf trouble" . We keep the 589's strictly for mud ....

We have a few member on this site with great tires, but not to aggressive. Member bczoom, has a nice set of tires, seen pics of him in the snow. Give him time, he can chime in on his tires. Think they are great tires also, and turf friendly.
May I suggest, get your dealer to swap out the tires to the ATV's ( at no cost, most usally do), if the model you choose don't have them on. Then, if you need to go more aggressive, take a look at a company called allterrainonline.com >>>> they help much, and don't dig into your pocket to much. They are good folks.

........ jamie

Attachments

• smiling Frog.gif
    smiling Frog.gif
    84.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... whatever you purchase >>> DON'T FORGET THE SLIME !!!!

Attachments

• slime armour.jpg
    slime armour.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 180

Heatwave

Not much I can add to what has previously been posted. If there are dissatisfied, disappointed RTV 900 owners out there, I have yet to hear from them, either in person or on this forum or others.

Kubotas are industrial-grade machines ... they're not play pretties, although you can play with them a bit ... they're not speed demons--my top speed is a measly 27-28 mph--but I have other rides that satisfy my speed hungers ... and they aren't luxury rides. If an RTV 900 won't do the snowplow work you envision doing, then there's no similar product that will ... you'll have to move up to a tractor or maybe a tracked vehicle.

If you get an RTV 900 and are dissatisfied, you won't have any trouble selling it without losing money. New ones don't stay on the dealership lots long, and used ones go quickly.

Jump in and join us. You won't regret it. And your grandchildren and dogs will love riding with you.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You can go to the kubota site and use the "build your own RTV" feature'. Choosing options such as turn signals strobe lights etc . The WS model has the hydraulic dump bed- that is what I have in my package. The General purpose you can tell by looking because no front bumper is standard- but it can be added of coarse. That model will be cheaper up front because of not having the hydraulic dump. I think around $1500-$2000 less. On that site, after you pick your machine,tire choice and options , you can get the MSRP so you will know where you stand. That is what I did and was told by one dealer almost 2000 off of list. I found him because of member Two Guns.The dealer 15 miles from me was at least $400 higher so I drove 30 more miles and save the $ . They delivered it too. I had another dealer I liked north of me but it was a bit too far and they didn't have the S model.
Another thing you should know is that you can get accessories much cheaper from other sources. I took the oem tail lights off my new machine (they are terrible for backing up at night with poor lighting) and swapped the boat trailer lights with the clear bottoms that I had put on the "05 on my "11 and vice versa. Now The boat trailer lights make a nice glow on the ground when backing up at night. They cost about $25 several years ago. The worklights are the same way. I bought a set at wally world for 22.50 a pair and rigged up a mounting until I get some longer u bolts and the time to drill out a couple pieces of angle iron to mount the on the tubing. I have a single ordered from Amazon for $8.50 for the rear work light. The oems do come ready to plug in to the pre wire plugs you can see in various places on the wiring harness- usually with blue tape on them- but they have a sliding switch on the back base of each light - that is a real hassle to slide with gloves on. I will post a few pictures of mine later on a new thread . Good luck, bordercollie

DocGP

Will chime in here also, but don't have much extra to add. Two Guns, as usual, is spot on. I run the OEM tires during this dry weather and save the ITP 589's (which I got from All Terrain online) when it gets sloppy. I do a fair bit of trail riding, and really it isn't the top speed that holds you back from the crowd so much as the suspension. Will really beat the snot out of you. HOWEVER, in thier defense, it isn't even remotely advertised as a trail bike. I still enjoy it, and I am generally the carrier of the coolers, so no one gets too far from me !!!!

As far as work, there is none finer in my estimation. I have watched the Ranger comparison to the RTV (on youtube) and several points gave me chuckles. Especially the point about how small the RTV fuel tank is compared to the Ranger. What the don't tell you is that the RTV will go about 4 times farther on a tank than the Ranger.....it just keeps going. In fact, and this will sound counter intuitive, but I am probably more in danger of running this out of fuel in the RTV than anything else I own primarily because it gets such good fuel milage.......I honestly forget to check......it just goes and goes. So far I haven't run it dry, but I really have to try to remember to look at the fuel guage, at least occasionally!

Also as to keys, one small note. Not only are the RTV's keyed alike, but I have owned 2 ZD mowers and both of them used the same key as the RTV's. My "L" series tractor uses a different key, but the mowers use the same.

Good luck in your Decision.

Doc