No time for another project, so here it is....

Mith

Remember that nice fully working Ferguson I bought?
I had hoped to just tinker a little, put a mower on the back and send it out to work.
Earlier on, figured the foot plate needed a little straightening as it was rubbing on the brake rod. Turned out one of the loader stays was bend.
Before I knew it the whole rear end was torn down and the loader frame was off.
Boy, I really didnt need another project. Seeming as its this far we may aswell......

You may notice the change on scenery, a nice clean warm garage! Got my Dad on board on this one, so its in his garage. Just as well, my workshop is full...

Sheared alot of bolts taking it apart, so its off down the bolt shop tomorrow to stock up. I'll order the new rear tyres soon too hopefully.

Image086.jpg

quincy

I finally figured it out....

Mith.... you've won the lottery, quit your full time job and decided to live out all of our dreams by engrossing yourself in tinker time workshop duties for the rest of your life??

c'mon... admit it? Where else would you get all the free time to have so much fun???

:poke::yankchain::biggrin:

Mith

Ha ha, I wish!

I do spend all day doing stuff like this (fabrication and fixing tractors) for other people, only problem is I have to give it back when its done :(

Mith

Well, the back end is all back together minus the loader frame.
Brakes are a little more user friendly now. They were a bit unequal before. The left wheel would lock up before the right locked.
I still want to change the PTO shaft (its worn and is the 1.125" spline, not the standard 1.375" spline) and change the trans oil.
Still trying to buy new tyres but none of my usual suppliers do the right size. I'll try some other people this week.

Still, progress is being made. The throttle linkage was badly worn on the shafts that connect to the injector pump.
Solution is to bore all the parts out from 3/8" to 10mm to take out the wear. I cant take credit for the work, all my Dads doing. He does nice work, but it takes a while.....
Image095.jpg

The loader rams are really pitted. I'm thining about adding a new valve and getting new double acting rams, and also adding a ram to the bucket to convert it from a trip bucket.
Image096.jpg

Mith

As per my other thread, its now got new tyres. Man, its a totally different machine to drive. It shakes your teeth loose on a hard surface, and really digs up the lawn :D

We were successful in taking some of the play out of the throttle linkage, however, both the injection pump and intake are very worn where the shafts go through them. I'm not sure if its really worth repairing them. It'd probably have to buy parts, and I dont know if those parts are available. I guess I'll check the price.
Runs pretty sweet still though. It surges a little at idle, it could be better. Fine at high speed though, it really goes!
Its been below freezing recently, at it starts OK with about 10-20 seconds of turning over. The Ki-gas pre-heater doesnt work, it'd start much easier if it did. Not sure I'll bother fixing it, not planning on using the tractor in the cold.

I had a play with the wiring today, not convinced its charging properly. Someone has 'borrowed' my meter though, so I'll have to go buy a new one to test it.

Image133.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, those rear tires were sure wore down. I'm sure you'll notice quite a difference with new AG's on there.
Love the tractor. I missed when you posted about getting it. Sorry. It reminds me of the old 8N I had. They were Ford 8N's here but Ford and Ferguson were together on the design if memory serves me correct.
Is yours a 6 or 12 volt system?

Mith

Yea, the old ones were like slicks. Wouldn't grip for toffee! New tyres are great. They are the cheap ones, made in India. Time will tell how they hold up, but I shouldn't imagine they'll deteriorate much sitting in the garage.

From what I have seen the 8N and this are pretty similar, neat tractors :D
Mine is 12V, I think all the diesel ones were 12V.
Cheers

J

johnday

Hey Jim!! I like it!! Like Doc, I hadn't caught your thread about getting that "Fergie" either. I always liked the old Fords like Doc as well, and I didn't know the two brands were related. Learn something every day if one isn't careful.
How much horsepower does that have? What type of attachements are ya thinking for it.? Now that you've got that proper welder, it's time to burn some steel.:tiphat::beer::beer:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yours is diesel? :thumb: Kewl. Mine was gas. Originally it was 6 volt but it was converted to 12 before I got it. It had wiring issues. I liked the gravity fed gas bowl. Is the diesel also gravity fed?.

Mith

John, I cant remember if Ford copied Ferguson or the other way round. The 3pt linkage was Fergusons invention I believe, so I would guess Ford did the copying.
I think its 25/30HP or something, not too sure. Seems to have alot of grunt, but the true test will be how well it mows! I've got a loader for it, other than that, probably just a mower, looking for a 6' finishing mower.

Doc, there are alot of the petrol/tvo fergusons about. When I went to look at it I probably would have bought it if it were petrol, but it being a diesel was a bonus, really sealed the deal.
Its supposed to have a lift pump, but danged if I can find it. The tank is on top of the engine like normal, so I dont see why it wouldnt be gravity fed.

Mith

I believe this is the appropriate amount of smoke when starting an antique? :D It usually starts faster, but it was pretty cold. I really must fix the ki-gas preheater some time.
Shame there isnt any sound, but I think you get the point.

Mith

Cheers, its for work. I'm in the market for a 6' topper to go on it. I'll probably put the loader back on it, then its on to a life of farm work.

Mith

Got a few more bits for it yesterday. Had to get a new exhaust, the old one was basically a straight pipe for all the baffles had rusted out. While I was there, I just had to get one of those flappers for the top too :D Beats the old beans can when its left out in the rain.

Got a new PTO shaft too, with the standard splines. thinking about it, seeming as I have to get a overrun coupler for it anyway I should have just got an overrun that converted the splines into the standard size. Never mind, the new shaft wasnt that expensive, and it needed a new seal anyway.

Image139.jpg

Mith

Dropped in the new PTO shaft today, took about 10 minutes including cutting an old oil drum in half to make an oil catch can. I was told if i parked it on a slope so the back was about 1' above the front the oil wouldnt spill out, WRONG! Caught all the oil that spilled out and put it back in when I was done.
I know it badly needs changing, looks like chocolate. Its on my to-do list.
I also found that the cooling system isnt holding any pressure, it doesnt leak so there must be a problem with the radiator cap or a split somewhere above the waterline in the radiator.

You can just about see the diff ring gear in the gloom, its massive. Totally overbuilt for the size of tractor. I've seen smaller ones in 50HP tractors.
Image141.jpg

Apart from the seals leaking the old shaft is 1.125", new one is standard size. I still have to get an ORC for it though.
Image142.jpg

Looks like it grew there
Image143.jpg