Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBuggy

been a long season with my son Jacob. Anything that could go qwrong went wrong for us.
He finally got his deer tonight. I had to teach him what a Texas heart shot was.
Its in the garage hanging now.

Nice. Hanging in the garage is always good. I got my about 3 weeks ago out of season with my pickup. Does this count? LOL
Harry

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Our season opens tomorrow morning.

My son wants to use a 30-06 this year so I gave him my new one. I then had to pull out the old Browning 30-06 for me to use. Hasn't been shot in probably 25 years. Scope was way off. My shoulder is really sore this morning. That thing kicks like a mule.

Mark.Sibole

LOL Brian thats why I got rid of the 06.I really didnt care for the preformance.I traded it for a .35 marlin. Less kick but does more damage. For deer i have the tools for about everything. .243 for big open fields fot the long shots, 30-30 for open wooded areas.the Marlin 35 for dencer areas ans when all else fails for the thickets and swamps the tree chopper the .444 Marlin.Then the 50 cal muzzel loader.This way i always have a tool for the job.
Ill post Jacobs picture in a while when i wake up and pain pills kick in.Low pressure in and 38 ass kicking degrees today then the bottom falls right back out.

Mark.Sibole

jocob2014deer.jpg

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
^^^^^the joys and a smile from a very happy 11 year old (PRICELESS)^^^^^

Mike

That's a precious picture, great memories. This the last time I hunted with my son. He's much older than yours but great memories. He's now working in Texas.

Image006_zps2069fff9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just my thoughts on caliber, I've been deer hunting since the 60's and started with a Springfield 30/06 until I found out it was dangerous due to poor case hardening. Since then, I've used a Savage Bolt action. I just vary bullet weight, 220 gr for heavy cover, 180 gr for all around and 150 gr for open ground. Most of my shots are 90 to 150 yrds and the 180's work well. I just make sure that I'm using Remington Core-loks, most of the others don't open enough and allow through shots.

The 30/06 let's me carry one rifle for all terrain unless I'm in the very heavy cover and tracking, then I just carry the 40 semi pistol.

Mark.Sibole

Great picture.Myself i never like a 30.06 and traded it for my .35 merlin.Every hunter has his own rifle of choice.IMO the 30-30 is still one of the best all around trouble free guna out and works in 99% of the hunting areas.Ive killed deer with all of my guns ans still love the 30-30.But i do like to trade up some times.The .243 bolt action is great for open field long shots but its just to damn heavy for walking.but is great for the kids.The oly gun that dosnt get used to often is my 444 markin.Itscares me sometimes with its mule like kick but if your in the thich swamps it has no problems cutting down trees that are in the way of a clean shot and you still kill the animal.But it is a tad expensive to shoot at about 3 bucks a round.My wife tells me i have to many guns.I tell her a man can NEVER have to many guns lol

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Opening day... 7 hours later... haven't even seen a deer. :(
Coming in for lunch.

Mark.Sibole

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully tonight.I know it was a ruuf season here for seeing deer.Weather played a major factor for us.Thew deer are still not really moving.I just got lucky by seeing 1 running across the field.I still have 3 bait piles out that were hammered earlier in the season but are untouched now.

Tailrotor

Pa bow kill

Here's mine got him in archery in early November I get a buck just about every year real lucky get to hunt right behind my house been here 21 yrs and got a nice buck every year. At least nice in my eyes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 85

Tailrotor

Couple more from way back

One more I have been blessed and am so thankful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 85

Tailrotor

This years deer skull CAMO dipped

I got this years skull dipped in camo check it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
Status