Shifting Just Got Easier

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In getting the RTV 900 xt ready to sale, I noticed that when I shifted out of neutral that it would squeak. So I decide to grease the shift mechanism. I tool put the loop pin ( cotter pin if straight) but these have a loop in them. Then I cautiously removed the large steel pin part of the way from the sleeve type bushing( see picture) and it was as dry as could be. I worked the grease all around and put it all back as before. I didn't want to take the big pin completely out because "what if I couldn't get it lined back up?" so played it safe. Then decided to do any of those little mechanisms that I could find. This same problem had prevented my locking diff from working properly (as reported in another thread.) Now with the shifter greased in about 3 places ,everything works so slick that I wished I'd done it sooner.
In the picture, it looks rusty under there but it's not. My camera was having a bad day ...and has bad days most of the time as color is usually off.. but haha what can you expect for 45 dollars ?
I had mentioned this a while back, but the bil's 4 wheeler had a brake dragging and it was a very similar problem in that the same type of bushing and metal rod releasing the brake pedal had gotten stiff - no grease so the dealer took it apart and cleaned and greased it like it should have been all along. While the RTV wasn't really stuck bad, it did really help to grease it.
collie

Attachments

• KIMG0415-0 (2).jpg
    KIMG0415-0 (2).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 108

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i use a little corn head grease in those shifters and of course any gear box that has a bad seal like on a brush hog.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, can't beat a good grease.. :) I believe they should put a zerk on those places. I use a high pressure grease that bil special ordered from JD on about everything. I've also had awesome results with the Red Line grease of which I bought a tube of for my RTV's rear ujoints. Its expensive stuff at $10-$12 a tube, but those ujoints have no play even after over 2,300 hrs since I replaced them.
No matter how hard I try when we grease the clipper (20ft) I get grease all over me. A pair of latex gloves comes in real handy , but even then I may find it all over me by the time I'm finished. haha :) collie