Tractor won't start

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I feel like I'm overlooking something.
My 2002 Grand L 3010 won't even turn over. Lights work and seem bright. Engine does not make a sound when key is turned.

Sometimes if I did not push in the clutch far enough I would get the same when turning the key ....till I pushed in the clutch further and the engine would fire.

Battery is a few years old and I have never had to change it between running the tractor. Even though I'm guessing it is not the battery I'm going to put a charge on it but in the meantime I figured I'd ask here ...cause I feel I'm missing the obvious. Any ideas?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I’ve had the same problem. Clutch Safety switch most likely.

Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or a similar Safety Switch elsewhere. My second Yanmar has one on the PTO shifter. More than once I've sat there puzzled, no start, after a brief stop for something.

I would trace the wire from ignition switch down to the starter solenoid to see where it loses continuity.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I knew the clutch had to be engaged but didn't know a safely switch was part of the process. Any idea where it is located and if it is hard to change?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I knew the clutch had to be engaged but didn't know a safely switch was part of the process. Any idea where it is located and if it is hard to change?
On my Yanmars, the clutch pedal at the top of its travel hits a stop that includes a button switch. Its simple to jumper across it for testing.

And on an old Massey, the range selector has to be in neutral to get current through its switch and down to the starter.

Your tractor - ?????

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My tractor is Hydro ...so all you have to do is push in the clutch and turn the key. Thanks Chris.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Happened to me too. It was the PTO lever bumped when I got off the tractor the previous time.
Another time for me was a bad battery cable. The lights would work as they're very low amps but when you put a high amp load on it, nothing. The cable looks good on the outside but was corroded inside. I used jumper cables to bypass the tractor's cables to confirm.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dim headlights would indicate a bad battery or battery cable.

Doc, power the starter solenoid with a jumper wire to see if it cranks normally. Think safety, be sure its not in gear!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If it’s HST there’s a safety switch on the HST pedal too. I’ve had that one bad too.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, mine is HST ...but a safety switch there would not prevent it from starting would it?
Busy today and the weekend with new boat and company. Will get back at this on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes. They don’t want the HST pedal out of position when starting. Had one go bad on a B2910 and also the BX we used at the barn. Traded the B2910 for an L3400 and the clutch switch went bad in warranty. :pat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I 'think' it's the battery. Tried it again and got a little grunt from the engine. Put a trickle charge on it over night and battery charger showed in the green but no joy. going to remove the battery and take it in to be tested later today or tomorrow.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I had to replace the original battery I was so impressed with the long life of it that I made a long drive to the kubota dealership to buy another one. First one lasted 13 years. This one appears to have lasted 5 years. Man, what a disappointment if it is the battery failing already. But still ...probably cheapest fix of all so kinda hope that is the issue.

original thread: http://nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16312&highlight=battery+3010

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well ...I was wrong. The battery took the charge I gave it and tested good under load two times at the store. I did have dirt and corrosion build up on it so I bought some stuff to clean terminals and all is good once again. Pleasantly shocked. Now my only problem is getting the weird battery hold down stuff in the right hole so it holds and getting the grill back on the front to stay straight. :bonk: Those two items are for tomorrow. Then I should be able to get some work done with the tractor.