New Guy on the Blog

Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt is Dan Lauzon from Rockport Mass, Perfect Storm territory. My wife raises horses as a hobby, well she does make a little money. I get to play farmer; manure, composting, gravel, sand, hay, shavings, railroad ties, boulders, grading, york raking, snow plowing, moving trailer boats, marine engines, towing trailers w/ lobster traps, bait, lumber, staging and even using the bucket for welding positioning, an extension table for the compound miter saw, and short home made forks, three chain hooks welded to the "hood' of the bucket and a draw bar welded with a ball hitch.
I made a "rocket launcher" for the ballast box which holds a half dozen long handled tools for easy access [a rocket launcher is a fishing rod holder that will keep several rods out of the way while under way]
I am a locomotive engineer running a commuter rail train out of Rockport.

Dr. Dirt

Fuel Filter on New Holland small tractors

Rather than going through the process of removing the FEL to get to the fuel filter I made up a special tool to remove the retaining collar.
Using a caliper I determined the diameter of the collar nut and the studs. I looked around my shop and found a 2 1/4 diameter exhaust pipe. I cut the pipe to a five inch nipple and drilled a 3/8 hole as near to the rim as possible.
I welded a 1/4 20 machine nut with the bolt already threaded down to keep weld splatter off the threads. Then I backed off the bolt and worked it back and forth to loosen up the thread travel so I could finger tighten the hex cap with ease. I slipped the pipe over the collar nut and tightened the bolt between the grip tabs and with a quick twist, done.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT Dr. Dirt. Your place sounds awesome. I bet your wife keeps you busy with the manure and stuff. :poke:
Really it sounds great. And you are in beautiful New England. Another big plus.
We have a projects and mechanical forum that I bet you'll like and be able to contribute some to. We like pictures of your projects whenever you get the urge.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum.

I have a similar situation here with the wife's horses. I get to play with the manure pit, etc . . .:shitHitsFan:

The other similarity is that I am a retired engineer and am wearing a Norfolk Southern T-shirt.

My brother gave me the shirt, I am actually a communications engineer :hide:

Jim

jbrumberg

Dr. Dirt A.K.A. "Dan Lauzon":

Welcome to NTT from another resident from MA. I live on the other (i.e. forgotten) end of the state :). Jay

Dougster

Old Member
I am a locomotive engineer running a commuter rail train out of Rockport.
Three acres in Rockport, MA and you drive an MBTA commuter train for a living??? :confused: :wtf:

Nice to meet a PowerBall lottery winner in person finally!!! :thumb: :tiphat:

Welcome aboard from Southeastern MA!!! :)

Dougster

olcowhand

Welcome! I'm pretty new here too, but they've made me feel like I've been here for a while! Very nice group! Enjoy!:thumb: