First mow of the season

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow 2017

Ahhh I'm home from New Orleans / FL get away. Home sweet home. Great little vacation but sure is GREAT to be home. Except my grass was way high. I had a battery tender on the Scag's battery but still it turned very slow. Would not start. Had to get my big boy charger and use the auto start mode to start the Scag. Started right up. Put battery tender back on it when I was done. Made sure it had good contacts. Hope that helps.

As for mowing .... I had to set my cut to 4 1/4 and got her done without to many clumps. Barely got done, closed up pole barn to walk to house and the rain started. Good timing for a change. Wife worked on flower beds so she got to use the RTV to haul some clippings away. I'll find something to get into with the RTV tomorrow.

Thanks to vaction this is my latest first mow of the season since we started keeping track.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Grass is greening up and beginning to grow. Should be ready for the first mow of the season in a few days EXCEPT it’s snowing again :hammer:

If it’s only a few inches think the zero turn will blow away the snow while cutting the grass? :yum:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Shit, I’m a long way from the the first mow!

We’ve had warm weather between snows all month. The snow the other day didn’t stay around long. Never went under 32 somit all melted. More snow coming this afternoon so I may get the chance to mow and snowblow at the same time.

Heres the front yard.

Attachments

• 29ED7DF7-2F7A-497A-8B68-ACB0D63E483C.jpeg
    29ED7DF7-2F7A-497A-8B68-ACB0D63E483C.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 136

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did notice the grass around here starting to green up. Awesome. Robins galore all around. Won't be long till mowing starts. I'm guessing I'll mow the last week of March or first week of April. Actually looking forward to it at this point. 27 degrees here this morning. Yeah, I'm ready for 60 and 70 degree weather.

Kanook

Won't be mowing grass any time soon...this afternoon Mar 14, looking out the window.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 138

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I did notice the grass around here starting to green up. Awesome. Robins galore all around. Won't be long till mowing starts. I'm guessing I'll mow the last week of March or first week of April. Actually looking forward to it at this point. 27 degrees here this morning. Yeah, I'm ready for 60 and 70 degree weather.

They’ve pushed the snow forecast to tomorrow. For today we’re enjoying a beautiful spring day clear, 38 degrees and 40 mph wind gusts. :pat:

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Well today 4/6/18 was my first mow!! ...weather lady says snow in the morning!!!!!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Still have not mowed here. We were at 60 yesterday. Nice. But today we are at 30 degrees with snow. So far light snow. Hope it stays that way.

DK35vince

Still have not mowed here. We were at 60 yesterday. Nice. But today we are at 30 degrees with snow. So far light snow. Hope it stays that way.
We got around 3" of snow on the ground over night.
Calling for lows in the 20's most of next week.
Likely be into May before we do our first mow.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We got around 3" of snow on the ground over night.
Calling for lows in the 20's most of next week.
Likely be into May before we do our first mow.
Yea, same here (of course since I live about 30 miles south of you).
Snowing right now. It's the 2nd week of April. It should stop snowing by now. :(

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I got the lawn rolled the other day. It was snowing when I did it. :(

I finally shut down the wood stove this morning. Was hoping it was done for the season but I see temps dropping back into the 20°'s next week. It's been running 24/7 for about 7 months now. That's too long.

Temps are going up this weekend so I may mow then but the grass isn't really growing yet.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Temps in the 70's here for the next few days. But like you said Brian, the grass is not growing yet. It does not really need mowed. Next Monday we have a chance of snow. Temps in the 50's all next week ...so, I might mow tomorrow instead of waiting till it needs it in the cold. Mowing usually kicks off the growth so it grows fast ....decisions decisions.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow 2018

I mowed yesterday. It needed it in 3/4 of the 4 acres I mow. This is the latest 'first mow' since I started keeping track. 4/13. Prior to this my latest mow was 4/10. The past two or three years I've had to mow the last week of March. Snow predicted for Monday 4/16, so I'm glad I got er done. Temps will be much lower next week. We tied for record high with a temp of 86 for yesterday.

Kanook

The grass is starting to show.....Well maybe not..14 April, no green to be seen.

Attachments

• 1st Mow.jpg
    1st Mow.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 95

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Finally got to mow the lawn yesterday. :)

The ZTR fired right up after sitting most of the winter. (I did start it a couple times over the winter).

Blades need sharpened. I used to sharpen them in the fall when I put the mower away but found that to be a waste since the first mow of the season always seems to find sticks, mole mounds... that get ripped up by the blades. Might as well get those chopped up then sharpen.

Kanook

Grass finally needed at least a partial cut last Fri, May 18. Guess this is a race I can never win.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This isn't a race you can probably win but if we changed just a couple letters, you would be the winner.
Change: First mow of the season
To: First snow of the season