Do most people start with an issue??

dean

I hate that my 1st post starts with a problem. My ym2000 overheated today. i shut it down, cooled i started it back up and checked radiator. I had no leaks and a little swirling in top of radiator. Any clues on how I go about determining where problem is. Fluid was ok when i started. Thanks for any tips

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Dean. No problem. It seems most of our new members join to post about a problem, issue or question on something they are buying. It works and it keeps things interesting. So, welcome to the forums, I'm glad you found us. :tiphat:

How old is the Yamar, wondering if the radiator might be partially plugged.

dean

Fan works fine, I cant remember year model. Older model i'd say Japanese writing on it. Is there a way to be specific on radiator? I mean a way to know that's it. Also should i just go ahead and find a new one if that's it?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
YM2000 was late 70's. My YM240 (see my sig photo, below) is the US version of it.

You could disconnect the radiator and use a garden hose to verify that what goes in the top, isn't blocked from coming out the bottom.

If you have hosed off the radiator exterior and its reasonably clean, and the tractor overheats while you see a swirl in the top tank, those are the classic symptoms of a blown head gasket. Since this can let water into the cylinders, it is imperative to crank with the compression release used, to blow any water out of the cylinders when starting, until the actual cause is found. (Water is incompressible, it causes expensive damage).

If the radiator looks ok there's not much else it can be. (The swirl eliminates a bad water pump. (and the YM1700 smaller twin to these didn't even have one.) When the cooling system is up to spec both models will run at full load all day and stay cool.

Replacing the head gasket is no big deal on this simple two-cylinder. I have the original Yanmar flat-rate manual and it says bill the customer 2.4 hours labor to R/R the head and gasket. Hoyetractor has the head gasket.
http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2000-HEADGASKET

[What would that project cost on a modern utility tractor, guys? :mrgreen:]

And Welcome, Dean! There are still a few of us owners of these elderly Yanmars on this board. In fact I just bought a third one, another early 80's YM186D, this one with loader and power steering. Otherwise it looks like the YM186D (red) in my sig photo.

winston

Fan works fine, I cant remember year model. Older model i'd say Japanese writing on it. Is there a way to be specific on radiator? I mean a way to know that's it. Also should i just go ahead and find a new one if that's it?

You need to zero in on what caused the over heat before buying any parts. Any feedback on Californias suggestions of checking the interior and exterior radiator fins for cleanliness? When you crank up cold with the cap off be watching for a constant stream of bubbles. This would indicate a head gasket problem.

dean

I've got a couple of hours before I can get to it but there was swirling not so much bubbles. Radiator is clean on exterior. 1st thing i'll do is ck for flow from bottom of radiator. Thanks so much for help and i'll let ya'll know.

twoforty

I would presume you are correct. I did start with an issue. I bought an old Yanmar that wasn't running and that needed help and as I get one item resolved, I am encountering others. For example, despite the fact that the fuel pump is still being rebuilt or if it has been rebuilt, still hasn't been installed, I've been working on making sure the cooling system is ready for when the engine is fired. This required the purchase of a replacement overflow bottle. Once this was installed, I filled the radiator only to find that the water pump is leaking. Now, this has been ordered along with a replacement ignition switch as I have read that these fail and the one I have will not permit you to pre-heat the glow plugs. I suppose you get what you pay for as I did not give but $1K for the tractor including a 4ft cutter, 4ft double row disk, and a middle buster. Unfortunately, I'm still not to a point where I've heard it run, but have hopes that this will change today. I do know that the tractor was running great this time last year and that the fuel pump did have bad plungers. Perhaps today will be the day that twoforty's 240 comes back to life.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... I did not give but $1K for the tractor including a 4ft cutter, 4ft double row disk, and a middle buster. Unfortunately, I'm still not to a point where I've heard it run, but have hopes that this will change today. I do know that the tractor was running great this time last year ... Perhaps today will be the day that twoforty's 240 comes back to life.
You'll love it after you get it sorted out. These are great tractors.

Suggestion - start a new thread of your own about this tractor. Maybe describe your progress getting this back in service, or your use of the tractor. Photos are great too. Having a thread of your own will likely get you more and better replies.