MF 230 will not steer

wilsonkd22

Late model MF 230. Turning the steering wheel and the tires do not turn. I've jacked up the front end and tried it...no improvement. Manually turned the wheels thinking it might help...no improvement. Any thoughts?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

I don't have that tractor but I have turned a few steering wheels in my day. :)

First, get a helper. Keep the front end jacked up.

From either the steering wheel end or the tire end, while your helper is turning the steering wheel back-and-forth, inspect the steering components. When you find the spot where one side is moving but the other side isn't, whatever is between those 2 points has the issue. Could be a linkage or connector or who knows.

wilsonkd22

power steering

I forgot to mention, the tractor has power steering....fluid levels were checked and that was fine too.

Kanook

I forgot to mention, the tractor has power steering....fluid levels were checked and that was fine too.

If this tractor is anything like my Kubota, there is no physical mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front end. A valve at the steering wheel directs the fluid to the hyd cyl that directs the front wheels. Again I don't own this brand of tractor but that's where I'd be looking if it were a bota B model.