Starter silenoid question RE: my 155D

Got a question. I made a stupid mistake. I pulled my starter silenoid awhile back when it stopped working, then I set it aside and got busy with other things and since I didnt need my tractor for anything for a while it slipped my mind ordering a new one. :pat:

Make a long story short, I finally remembered to order the new one and got it and went to install it and realized, I couldnt remember the order in which it should be installed. Stupid, and yea...been kicking myself. :shitHitsFan:

I do have the shop manual and other manual for the 155D but while those are good, on this particular part there isnt much info there.
So what I need to know is just a couple of things. There is a spring that goes into the houseing on the starter and the other end into the silenoid and then the plunger in the selinoid that slips over the arm inside the starter housing. What I need to know is just how the spring is supposed to sit and in which position the selinoid is to sit.:hide:

I hope I am making some kind of sense. Its a simple fix and I blew it by delaying and not getting the part right away and getting old and forgot the procedure for re-install.:wtf:

Help.....

Mark777

Hey Dennis,

I've searched everything I have and can't find an exploded view of the solenoid.

Does this attachment help jog your memory...or is it useless:pat:

Mark

Attachments

• 155 Starter.JPG
    155 Starter.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 31
Hey Dennis,

I've searched everything I have and can't find an exploded view of the solenoid.

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. It helps alot, but I am still not sure of one point. I know the lever (22) fits up inside the slot on the plunger (24). My puzzle is just how the spring (23) fits with the lever (22). Does that bottom loop go to the right of (22) or does it go on the left side of (22) so the the whole lever fits up inside the spring, or does that bottom loop of the spring suppose to push against the lever (22). Not sure if I am making my question properly understandable or not. I just cant remember the placement of that spring in relation to the lever (22):pat::hide:

Last edited:
Hey Dennis,

Mark

Okay, I think I figured it out with that diagram you provided. That spring is designed then to PUSH against the lever holding it and thus the gear below keeping it disengaged from the engine gearing until the solenoid (thanks for correcting my spelling), is engaged and it PULLS the lever and thus pushing the starter gear to engage the engine....I think. So the spring loop has to sit pushing against the right side(in the drawing) of that lever(22). Then when the solenoid releases, the spring tension pushes the lever (22) and the gearing moves back to the right.

I think that is it...what do you think?

Mark777

Yeah...I believe you've got it :D

The spring (23) pushes the carrier fork (22) forward engaging the nose gear (18) to the flywheel when 12V is applied. The assembly (21 + 18) retracts when the ignition key is released.

Mark