help with wiring mf 245

haflinger

Can someone tell me what this boot is and how/where the two separate wires inside attach. Tractor will not start. Thanks.

Attachments

• mfwire.jpg
    mfwire.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 37

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us!

What part of the tractor is it on?

Could it be unplugged from a safety switch since it won't start?

One of our M-F folks should be able to provide assistance.

Jim

haflinger

It's located kind of between the starter/solenoid and the key switch - could be a safty switch but there are no plugs on the wires inside the boot - a least I can't find anywhere they plug into that the boot would fit over. Thanks much.

Kanook

If it is from a safety interlock, try shorting the two wires temporarily to see if the tractor will start.

haflinger

I think they were originally twisted together but wasn't sure. Still won't start when twisted together. I was having problems when starting - it would click and if you turned the starter long enough eventually it would engage the starter and start. I put new battery cables on which did not help the situation, then started tapping on the solenoid and checking for loose wires when I discovered these wires which were taped up. I may well have a bad solenoid but I'm not even getting power to it now. It won't even try to engage. Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How's the battery itself? I'd try jumper cables to a known good battery.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Look for a Clutch Safety Switch somewhere in the clutch linkage, maybe under the footboard.

Also I think some M-F's had a safety lockout switch that requires the the transmission hi/lo range shifter to be at Neutral before power can go from the key to the starter solenoid.

That rubber cap looks like it is related to this. Maybe something broke off so now all you see is dead-end wires.

Will the tractor crank if you apply 12 volts directly to the starter solenoid control terminal? (make sure the tractor is in Neutral and zero throttle!)

Last edited:

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Look for a Clutch Safety Switch somewhere in the clutch linkage, maybe under the footboard.

Also I think some M-F's had a safety lockout switch that requires the the transmisiion ho/lo range shifter to be at Neutral before power can go from the key to the starter solenoid.

That rubber cap looks like it is related to this. Maybe something broke off so now all you see is dead-end wires.

Will the tractor crank if you apply 12 volts directly to the starter solenoid control terminal? (make sure the tractor is in Neutral and zero throttle!)

I have a Massey 35 and your photo looks like the safety on my hi/lo range shifter. The shifter must be in neutral in order for the tractor to start.

Bob

haflinger

Thanks fellows: I've bypassed the safety switch and the starter clicks again when you turn the key. If you stay with it long enough it'll start. It's got to be he solenoid. Now if I can figure out how in the world you get the rear nut off the starter. The two front ones come off easily but you can's get a tool to the rear one. Thanks for all the help!!