Domestic Yanmar Models

Mark777

If you've ever been curious about the non-gray market Yanmar's...
The following is a list of “Domestic Yanmar Tractors”:

MODEL........ENG-HP.......CYL..........ENGINE

GT14----------14--------2----------2T75U
YM122--------12--------1----------MA10-N
YM135--------13--------2----------2T73-A
YM 135D------13--------2----------2T73-A
YM140--------14--------2----------2T75HA
YM140D-------14--------2----------2T75HA
YM146
YM147--------14--------2----------2T75HA
YM147D-------14--------2----------2T75HA
YM155--------15--------2----------2T13A
YM155D--.----15--------2----------2T13A
YM165
YM165D
YM169--------16--------3----------3T72HA
YM169D-------16--------3----------3T72HA
YM180--------18--------3----------3T72HA-N
YM180D----.--18--------3----------3T72HA-N
YM186--------18--------3----------3T72HA-N, 3T72HA-S, 3T72HA-F
YM186D-------18--------3----------3T72HA-N, 3T72HA-S, 3T72HA-F
YM187--------18--------3----------3T72HA-N
YM187D---.---18--------3----------3T72HA-N
YM195--------19--------2----------2T84A
YM195D--.----19--------2----------2T84A
YM220--------22--------3----------3T75HA
YM220D--.----22--------3----------3T75HA
YM226--------22--------3----------3T75HA
YM226D--.----22--------3----------3T75HA
YM240--------24--------2----------2TR20A-X
YM240D-------24-------2----------2TR20A-X
YM276--------27--------3----------3T84HA
YM276D.------27--------3----------3T84HA
YM330--------30--------3----------3T84A
YM330D.------30--------3----------3T84A
YM336--------33--------3----------3T84A-N
YM336D.------33--------3----------3T84A-N
T80

Green Models: 135, 155, 195, 240, 330
Red Models: 140. 147, 165, 169, 180, 186, 187, 220, 226, 336

Models with "D" indicate 4WD

Last edited:

Ductape

Proud "red model" owner here ! :king: My 186D has been trouble free through my three years of ownership. It has completed lots of landscaping around our place. :beer:

Mark777

Nice model Ductape!

As you can see I'm missing only a few basic specs, and thanks to California I have added the YM240 (and D) numbers. If you have the time and will varify your own YM186D spec's I'd be greatful and add them to the above list.

Thanks, Mark

Mark777

Mark, same as the roomier 187D.

Wow, I'm surprised. Although they've used the 3T72-HA in several models I've haven't been able to verify the exact engine number. The first digits in the domestic relate to engine horse power - unlike the gray market Yanmar tractors who's first digits indicate PTO horse power...Like the grays, the two digit (3T72--) indicate your engine bore size. Seems your engine, with slight variations, may fit eight different models.

I will amend the list to include your model information. Thanks.

Mark

J

jeepfreak4x4

This is very comforting information -
I am just about to purchase a 155D, and was told it was Gray market model. Now I will have a better chance of finding a tiller for the "green machine." Your board came highly recommended, and of the 4 or 5 threads I have read, I am very impressed.

Thanks for the information -

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jeepfreak4x4, Welcome!

It is a strange market. First came the US Yanmars. Then after Yanmar contracted to build for John Deere and quit selling directly here, a new industry sprang up importing and selling the Japan-market versions of the models they had sold here. And the point I am getting to: A very high proportion of these gray market tractors were shipped over with the rototillers still attached that they had been coupled to for all their lives.

Soon the gray importers had piles of tillers along the back fence left from over when a tractor customer didn't want one. So the majority of tillers you will see that are a good fit on that tractor, were in fact made for it! If you need a tiller I would watch Craigslist and also call all the gray-Yanmar dealers within driving distance. You are more likely to find one of these Japan-market tillers than you are to find a US made tiller. And the price should be considerably less.

J

jeepfreak4x4

Thanks California -
I am actually looking at a 1979 155D, and that list had me convinced that this would not be a gray market. Maybe I am confused, but I thought the grey market model PTO ran CCW. If that is the case, would it not impact what impliments I can use? As an example, a post hole digger, or the tiller...
I have a friend w/ a Grey market Kubota and his PTO runs reverse (CCW) and those parts can be a little difficult to find. It isnt going to deter me either way, but the tiller is going to make it much easier to turn some manure under far a future garden.

Thank California -

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, the backward pto and odd-diameter shaft were on the first model that Kubota sold here, and on a couple of other brands that nobody ever heard of, then everything after that is 'standard' including any Yanmar you will ever see.

The industry standard follows the Ford 8N etc for PTO diameter, splines, rotation direction, and 540 rpm. For accessories like a pto shaft extender or slip-clutch just go to TSC (Tractor Supply) and tell them it is for an 8N.

For the US market Yanmar added the other US standard pto rpm, 1000 rpm, while for the Japan market they had 540 plus two more speeds for second-pass rototilling. I'll just make up numbers and say 750 and 1200 but somebody who knows something is sure to correct me. :mrgreen: This also means you can run the Japanese Yanmar tiller on your 1000 pto speed on your final pass, if you want to pulverize the worms to powdered protein.

J

jeepfreak4x4

Excellent - i really appreciate the help/info

Happy Turkey Day to All

lens12

Mitsubishi & Kubota both made a US & Japanese model with a backwards pto & odd size shaft. The domestic tractor supporters try to give the impression that these nonstandard shafts were only on Japanese models while in reality domestic models also had them. The YM1300 tiller will work on the YM155, but will require some shims since the pto shaft is longer on the YM155. I can supply a Ym1300 tiller if you can't find one locally

J

jeepfreak4x4

Thanks Lens -
I will keep you in mind (but Dixon Illinois is a long way from Iron Station NC)...

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jeepfreak,

While I am simply a pleased Yanmar owner who posts a lot, Len has been selling and supporting them for decades. With Len you are getting advice from a real pro!

J

jeepfreak4x4

Thanks California - I wasn't discounting Lens (I actually grew up in Marengo Illinois but left the midwest for better temps.)

BUT -
Gentlemen (and Ladies cuz I'm sure there are quit few out there) -
I ran out Friday and looked at the 79 155D that I have been going on and on about. that Yanmar was clean as a whistle, and if she didn’t tell me it was 30 yrs old, I would have cut the age in half. The seller just spent almost $300 to get the hydraulic fluid and case oil replaced, and a general "once over".
It is listed at $4000 firm and $4500 w/ a plow, scrape blade, and finger cultivator. The only noticeable items were the bucket was cracked where the wall welds to the bottom, and the lines are cracked but not too bad. She called the mechanic while I stood there and he quoted $20 to $35 a line to replace (depending on diameter and length.) But I know that TSC has them for around $15 each so I am not too concerned about the cost. It seemed like a bargaining tool all the same.
I have never used a compact unit before, and actually don’t know much about the Yanmar line except what I have been reading. My tractor experience is w/ 8N and 9N units, a Ford 555, and some large JD and Steiger field units. But your group and several all rave about them. On another site, several gray market brands were discounted, and Yanmar was recommended in substitution, so that made me feel even better.
So I won’t hold anything against anyone - is this a good price? She told me that she was offered $3800 after I offered her $3500 for the whole package. Would $4K for the whole package be too much?
You opinion(s) are appreciated

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
$4,000 with loader and implements? Low hours and it is unusually clean? Local so no delivery cost?

I don't think you could do much better than that if you searched for a year. The only question then is if that size tractor meets your needs.

I needed a tiny tractor to get under my orchard trees but I went one size larger than your YM155D to have Powershift so I could shift while moving. I spent months looking, then settled for one in shabby condition (and relatively cheap) because that is all I found. Here's a photo.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21008#post21008
In fact that whole thread is about my decision to buy it. It is turning out to be mechanically solid (Yanmars are near indestructible) but I wish it didn't look so beat up.

If you are comparing prices, consider that a loader adds some $1500 to the bare tractor price.

Incidentally, the hydraulic hoses I saw at TSC had water pipe threads, not the more sophisticated hydraulic-coupling ends which cost a little more. $25 each for custom made-up hoses sounds about right. I am learning on my YM240 that even 30 year old, cracked, ugly hydraulic hoses seem to last until I finally snag one in brush and tear it off, so I'm not replacing them until it becomes necessary.

Mark777

$4,000 with loader and implements? Low hours and it is unusually clean? Local so no delivery cost?

I don't think you could do much better than that if you searched for a year. The only question then is if that size tractor meets your needs. ....

My thoughts, exactly!

shvl73

I would think even if it doesn't meet your long term needs due to size, it will do a lot of work and if kept up, keep its value.

J

jeepfreak4x4

Thanks Guys -
I needed your confident push...
I sent an email to the seller last night, and am patiently waiting for her reply - but if I dont hear from her by 5pm tomorrow, you can bet I will be calling her. I'm out of town for two weeks due to work, but a buddy has offered to run out and pick it up for me.

Keep you fingers crossed for me.

J

jeepfreak4x4

Leonard -
I know this is off topic, from the thread, but what should I expect to pay for a used tiller for my Y155D?
What are my aftermarket options? for this little tractor? I found a local seller that has units that are too big for sure, but he is talking $1K for a refurbished tiller that is the right size (48" which I fear is still a little to big for the green machine).

Thanks Again Guys