Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I haven't left the farm since one time in March. I'm not a big shopper so thats not important to me. mainly online. We had our registered angus bull sale on line and it did well actually. Probably better that on the place. Sold to 3 different states. Avg price was higher. will wait and see what happens with the commercial calves we normally sell in June- likely need to hold them.
Sister gets groceries on line and picks up curbside at kroger. We are doing well but my problem is that I haven't been able to work on the tornado damage at the Ark homeplace nor go there to check on things - mow etc..
I hope all is well with ya'll !!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We're doing OK here. Wish the weather was better so I could get more done.
We go out about once every 2-3 weeks. Still limited or no supplies on some of the common items. They do have milk/bread/eggs which are the only relatively time-sensitive items we buy.
The good news is they're starting to open up some of the Counties in our State starting this coming Friday. Our little town borders a County that's opening but we really don't need anything. It'll just be good to have businesses opening and people getting back to work. Might make trips to that County just so we can support them by getting food from restaurants or whatever.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All okay here. I went to store for first time in six weeks last week. Wife went two or three times without me for small shopping. Other than that I did pick up orders from wally world. It works but rather frustrating. They rarely fill your entire order and you don't know that until you go to pick it up. Getting a pick up time was also a challenge.

BC, PA Alcohol state stores were closed. Some PA residents were coming to Ohio to buy liquor. Then someone, maybe our Gov, said no sales to PA residents. WTH. Seems crazy. Hope your State Alcohol stores are going to open soon ..otherwise we will hear of other issues I fear.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I watched the booze issue here as well (I only live 10 miles from OH as the crow flies).
PA did open some liquor stores but it's very limited. You call a store that's open, tell them what you want, pay for it using CC then arrange a time for pick-up. The problem is that each store is taking a very limited # of orders daily.
The next county over from me which is only a few miles away will be open for business this coming Friday. I'll bet there's a huge line at the liquor store. The day before the state told them to close, the line in the store was huge.
I'm a beer drinker and they kept beer stores open because they're "essential" so I've been fine but admit that I've been drinking a bit too much.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i am kinda like Collie. i don't normally go to town but a few times a year even when things are normal and the larder is kept full always anyway. the online purchases did increase though and that is a good thing anyway. sold some calves and even though they sold much cheaper i still made a profit so that was good also. people are starting to act squirrely though, i saw a complete stranger shoot one of my neighbors steers in the head. they must have shot low cause the steer just jumped and shook a little and ran off. boy was the look on their face priceless when they spotted me watching.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
people are starting to act squirrely though, i saw a complete stranger shoot one of my neighbors steers in the head. they must have shot low cause the steer just jumped and shook a little and ran off. boy was the look on their face priceless when they spotted me watching.
Dang. If they did kill it were they expecting to just drag it out by hand (without getting caught)? Around here, you start shooting at livestock and you're most likely going to get shot yourself.

I went with Mrs. Zoom to the grocery store the other day. We're shopping for 2 households so we each grabbed a cart and went on our merry way. BTW - I'm shopping for our house which is me and the 2 kids. Mrs. Zoom is shopping for our other house which is her and 2 relatives. I make a quick pass getting some milk, eggs, bread and a couple other things. I'm in-and-out with the food in the car in short time. While I'm hanging around outside, she calls me and says to come in and grab an empty cart then find here. About 45 minutes later, we finish "her" shopping and now have 2 more carts overflowing with groceries. We're now good for a very long time.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of long time, I heard that if you add a pinch of salt to a gallon of milk it'll last in the fridge for almost another week. Anyone know if this really works?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
never heard that one before. but i would almost bet that was meant for raw milk. when i was milking our own cow the milk would last for weeks and then when it did go bad it was still good for biscuits or gravy and stuff like that. the longest i ever stored eggs was just over a year and they were still ok. my grandmother was of that generation that understood hunger and she always said things like" if you have tomatoes in the garden you had better put them all up cause next year you might not have any"!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Dang. If they did kill it were they expecting to just drag it out by hand (without getting caught)? Around here, you start shooting at livestock and you're most likely going to get shot yourself.

I went with Mrs. Zoom to the grocery store the other day. We're shopping for 2 households so we each grabbed a cart and went on our merry way. BTW - I'm shopping for our house which is me and the 2 kids. Mrs. Zoom is shopping for our other house which is her and 2 relatives. I make a quick pass getting some milk, eggs, bread and a couple other things. I'm in-and-out with the food in the car in short time. While I'm hanging around outside, she calls me and says to come in and grab an empty cart then find here. About 45 minutes later, we finish "her" shopping and now have 2 more carts overflowing with groceries. We're now good for a very long time.

i figure they meant to kill it and then come back later and get a hind quarter and then leave.:whistling:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't heard that Zoom but the Horizon low /0 fat milk has a very long shelf life. I bought some of the Milkman powdered milk and it tastes ok but expensive.
If I had a rifle and saw someone shooting at our cattle, I would shoot out their tires and put one in the engine- They would have to change their underwear - I'd be extremely angry and there would be no slap on the hand by me like the law would. It would cost them big time... After they ran off and later came back for the vehicle, they would find it not insured ,and yet totaled.. and a huge bill for the cattle and the loss of their future offspring. When, at rare times we had no meat growing up, we ate beans and made do. Stealing isn't right... period.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you have farm fresh eggs, Don't wash or rinse them. They last much longer that way. They have a natural coating( Isn't the Lord amazing ! ) that helps preserve them for a longer period than washed. On bought eggs, you can also do the water test and see if the egg lays on the bottom of the water filled bowl, stands up but still sits. Or floats . All indicate freshness. Floating is an older egg. This is to the best of my memory which isn't like it used to be..

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is a shame that those dairy are dumping milk on the ground. especially when folks are hungry and needing it. same thing with the pigs and chickens. to bad the people have drifted away from some of the old ways. i don't want someone to shoot my cattle either but if i thought they were hungry i would shoot one for them. just make sure they brought some neighbors or family to cut up the whole thing and not waste any. no point in being hungry and a thief too.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
If you have farm fresh eggs, Don't wash or rinse them. They last much longer that way. They have a natural coating( Isn't the Lord amazing ! ) that helps preserve them for a longer period than washed. On bought eggs, you can also do the water test and see if the egg lays on the bottom of the water filled bowl, stands up but still sits. Or floats . All indicate freshness. Floating is an older egg. This is to the best of my memory which isn't like it used to be..

yes that is all correct. we used to take fresh eggs unwashed and rub them with butter and pack in a bucket of salt so we would have eggs during the winter when the hens slowed down. the eggs won't spoil but they will dehydrate some.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Been here behind the electric gate and not been anywhere for going on my 6th week...NOT whining at all, just talking. I do see the UPS fella as he brings my meds from the VA, Amazon stuff mainly, and some food stuffs.
Probably like some of you with heart disease, COPD, diabetes, way over 65, and kidneys with BP situations. It is what it is but surely not gonna give some millennial who could care less what they carry around the chance to mess me up. We have pulled our "living wills" of NOT TO RESUCITATE, cause I will surely need it.

Have found the go early to Kroeger and Costco useful; but they don't let you stock up on meat with enough for weeks. Instead it's 3 items of a style of meat.....3 fish, 3 beef, 3 pork, on and on.....We found a local butcher that carries "choice" meat so buying a couple hundred pounds to keep us going is good. We have enough beef left over from our calf back in December to carry us a good while yet. NOT gonna coop one up over the summer in order to have a surplus.
Beans and bread flour are hoarded bad.....$12 for a 5 pound bag of flour and then double that for shipping is ridiculous for sure. Same way with beans......Ended up getting some from a fella down in New Mexico at a good price; but had to get 25 pounds.....No big deal cause with a couple of ham hocks thrown in we can eat off of a couple of pounds for MANY days. Throw in some corn bread and the eating is good…..

Worse comes to worse, we are fine for MANY WEEKS and MONTHS. I feel sorry for those unemployed folks who cant get these government "get by" funding. The FED deficit is almost as scary as the virus. Inflation hasn't kicked in yet; but I see that creeping in when they get the oil supply figured out and that gets back up to "normal". All in all it isn't really a scary time. Just lots of situations to adapt to. Glad we have each other on here and KNOWING that God is gonna take care of us...……God bless....Dennis

Mark.Sibole

Only time I left was to take the RTV in for repairs.Total a hair under 4 grand..Fortunatly due to catastraphic damage it was all covered under insurance..Big Relief...

Mark.Sibole

RTV 900 2004

anyone know what car rim will fit the 900.Im looking to put on snow tires and rims for the summer but have no clue what car rims will fit it..Any help

mark

shinnery

An '04 RTV 900 will have 5 bolt wheels I Think. If they are 5 hole they are 5-4.5 inch same as Nash, Mopar, and pherd. That is bolt pattern, center hole diameter may vary. Backspace and offset may also vary. If it is new enough to be 4 hole you may need to measure the spacing and check around. In the 4 hole stuff I have run Chrysler allumnium wheels on an Acura.
Bryce

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Mark - As I recall, on the older RTV's, Kubota BX tires/rims also fit on the RTV. Last time I was at the dealer, they had a lot of spares. They come from the factory with one type of tire but the buyer wants something else so the originals sit at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.