Semi mounted toolbar for D2

NZCat

Hello Guys

You have an interesting forum going here.

I have a Cat D2, just a straight crawler tractor, and since thats what shes been all her life, thats how I'd like it to stay . . . so I don't want to add a blade (not much use anyway with the small iddlers and short trackframes) or a 3 point hitch (which can be done but is also not totally satisfactory on a D2). If I can ever score a rear PTO uni I'd add it in an instant. Currently I have a mole-plough (old style with "wheels" to pull it out) and a set of bush and big discs, with a swamp plough to come. I also have a front PTO hydralic pump that I can add.

However to get to the point, I'd still like to shift dirt with this machine so have been looking at scoops, land planes, and box blades.

I was thinking that maybe I could use the basic geometry of something like the Denngleman Scoop but make it multi functional by using more of a tool bar appoach. I envisage a tool bar that could take 2 to 3 subsoiler points, or a box blade/scoop, or a bale spear. As mentioned it could use the wheel geometry of the Dennglemand scoop to hydralically raise/lower the tool bar.

Anyone ever seen anything like this or have thoughts (good, bad, indifferent, or just plain stupid??).

Cheers - Foster

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk Foster. I'm glad you found us. :D

Could you post pics of the D2?

Some guys here have done a good bit of fabrication. I hope one of them can give you a hand.

Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Cat offered the No. 2 Toolbar for the D2. which mounted similarly to the bulldozer and had a 4" by 6" tool beam on it. It was activated by a hydraulic cylinder that mounted on a plate above the pivot point, and was powered by a No. 41 hydraulic control unit mounted on the front of the tractor. By removing the tool beam and swinging arms around front, you could then mount the optional tool bar dozer. You could bolt subsoiler shanks, cultivator shanks, or other tools on the beam, the tools had a flat plat on the top with a hole on each corner, and another flat plate that attached above the beam with four long bolts down through the matching plate on the tool. Didn't need any holes in the tool beam that way, the plates were probably about 8 or 9 inches square. I have seen similar tool beams on a towed wheel carriage, but it's been a long time. I recently saw a No. 2 Toolbar for sale somewhere on the net, but with my memory like it is, I have no clue where.

Good luck with your search, and welcome again to NTT. Please remeber - - -

WE WANT PICTURES!!!

Fred

P.S. I think the toolbar would also accept a 2" by 2" beam, mounted in a diamond position rather than a square position.

Last edited:

Mith

Welcome Foster.

What I know about large tracked machines could be written on the back of a smoke packet, so I cant help you with your ideas.

However, if you are putting hydraulics on, why not add a front loader? Being able to lift to a height is very handy. You could also use a loader mounted blade to push dirt.
Also put forks etc on the loader which might be useful too.
How about a picture of your machine?

NZCat

Thanks for these ideas guys.

A proper Cat toolbar would be great, but they are as rare as hens teeth down here in NZ and too expensive to freight out.

I already have a front mounted blade (not yet fitted) but its no good if you have to shift dirt any distance and because the D2's set up for agricultural work have small iddlers at the front, they tend to "dip" if you are grading. A front end loader for a Crawler Tractor (called a tracktorvator here) is a whole nother ball game.

Cheers - Foster

quasar85

Just out of interest, did you see a recent Country Calendar program about the Cat museum in Rotorua. He has all sorts of cats awaiting restoration and may possibly be a source of bits. It's called "
The New Zealand Caterpillar Experience

Doh, don't know why it copied to that size, but there it is!

Phone 07-347 3206 in case it helps.

NZcat,

finding a tool bar for your dozer will be a great adventure.
As your dozer has down pressure on the dozer, i think I would use that for the back emplements you might want to use.

Before the advent of hyd on the larger dozers they had cables that ran overhead to raise the blade from a rear winch.

I know this is going to sound a bit convouluted, but here goes.

Build a hinge point, or a plate with a 3pt attaching system to bolt to the rear of your dozer. It just has to be a flat plate so your arms can be pinned to it. Make an A frame front and rear so you can attach a cable from the blade up front up through a pulley, back to the rear and have an attach point to the top of the top link at the emplement. I would put a pulley on the blade end so it would double the speed and also would limit the range you would have to raise or lower the blade as the rear emplement would move twice as much. By making a point on the rear so you could chain up the emplement when you need to use the blade, it would just be a matter of disconnecting the pulley from the blade up front to free the system.

One thing, use a diameter pipe to run overhead for the cable to run in. If it wore to the point of breaking, it would be contained.

Of course, if you can use a hyd cylinder, or two for the 3pt, make a plate for the rear of your crawler to fit and adapt the system you need.