buying used???

Hello: As I noted in another thread, the dealer I am going to tomorrow has a couple of used machines.</P>

I was originally looking at new, but I am not against buying a slightly used one. Would you buy used.. if not why... and what things should I look out for... what questions should Iask.I know there have been a few improvements on these since the first ones, but both of the used machines are 2006 models. </P>

thank you </P>

glenn</P>

solitude

Hi Glenn
Some 05's are called 06's but don't have the hyd trans dump cable on them.It's over to right hand side,I'm sure you've seen it on the ones you test drove.It does help shiftin sometimes so I would try to make sure it had that. The guy up at union i do business with is Mark real nice guy.
good luck
Solitude

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn, Ask them to let you talk to the former owner{s} . Probably it was just someone that just didn't need an RTV but thought they did. If the oil was changed , with low hrs, it should be a good thing.[Make sure it has the updated driveshaft.]Especially if priced right.You were saying that brand new ones were 0% interest so they should make you an extra special deal to move that used inventory .Good luck and let us know how it goes.[&]Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn, I went and looked at "your" RTV on the web . They are nice looking. I see they have the agressive atv tires. My tires- ITP mudlites -have a much more aggressive tread . I'vehaven't seen the Kubota tires in person although they probably won't tear up stuff like mine. Does the cab one have a heater? If not maybe they will throw it in. Good Luck ,Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn, I went and looked at "your" RTV on the web . They are nice looking. I see they have the agressive atv tires. My tires- ITP mudlites -have a much more aggressive tread .Originally I had worksites -not good-.I'vehaven't seen the Kubota atv tires in person although they probably won't tear up stuff like mine. Does the cab one have a heater? If not maybe they will throw it in.and some anti-fog stuff.Good Luck ,Bordercollie

Yes I saw that they had the atv tires. [they may be enough for what I need] this is something that I would have tried with a new purchase also. As I of yet I do not knowif the cab model has a heater. I don't know more at the moment,except what is visible in those pictures. { I was hoping it had one though] It should also have the heavier front springs on it. Is there an easy way to tell this?</P>

I was assuming that the original owners had either decided they wanted a more recreational unit... or maybe bought an 1100. </P>

</P>

bordercollie.... what other anti-fog stuff is there?</P>

</P>

glenn</P>

</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Glenn, I was just thinking that cheap rain x stuff with anti fog would be helpful with that cab. Our enclosedtractor windows fog up dangerously [without it and the defroster]even down here when it is cold or humid.Makes it hard to see.Does it have wipers? You said their price was pretty firm.. I got such a price that "they were out of hats". yea really...I was just hoping you could get that heater. I don't know what a new RTVcosts now but considering the 0% ,the new paymentmight come out really close to a used one.Keep us informed...[&] Bordercollie

[quote user="bordercollie"]Hi Glenn, I was just thinking that cheap rain x stuff with anti fog would be helpful with that cab. Our enclosedtractor windows fog up dangerously [without it and the defroster]even down here when it is cold or humid.Makes it hard to see.Does it have wipers? You said their price was pretty firm.. I got such a price that "they were out of hats". yea really...I was just hoping you could get that heater. I don't know what a new RTVcosts now but considering the 0% ,the new paymentmight come out really close to a used one.Keep us informed...[&] Bordercollie[/quote]</P>

</P>

ok on the Rain x.. I thought you might be talking about some other anti fog equipment. The firm prices was my local dealer... on their new machinces... I don't know yet about this other dealer. All I know of those machines yet is what I have seen in the pictures.. and no it does not have a wiper. The heater? I can't tell yet. </P>

If there are no other acc. or or a decent break on them... and the price is firm.. the $300.00 rebate and zero % bring a new machine awfully close to these used ones. </P>

</P>

Although from their point of view unless they want to sell one right now.. if they wait a month... the 0% and rebate is gone... which makes their used machines more attractive to others.</P>

</P>

I will go look at it in a couple of hours...</P>

</P>

glenn</P>

mmcdowel

Driving by my local dealer this morning, I saw two Silvergrey colored RTV 900s. They had aluminum wheels and black roofs. Anybody know the scoop on these? Sorry, no pics! Didn't have my camera.

Well I am back from Union...looking at their RTV's. Their new prices of machines and acc. seems on par with my local dealer. </P>

The two used machines we looked at.... They are both 06's one has the metal roof, and high air intake. the other has a cab. In their on-line pictures the roof only one looked in better shape. In person the full cab machine looks much better. </P>

</P>

The roof only machine is a rental machine of theirs. The picture is dated [no snow in the picture] and the machine has more hours now. a little over 100 vs the 85.. At their asking price. 10,900 I would buy a new one 11,800 [with 300 rebate and 0% for two years] . They keep a rental machine available all the time and sell it every year. </P>

</P>

The other machine is a trade-in [currently we are pretty sure the owner traded for an 1100] while it was dirtier in the picture.. it looks good with no scratchs... even the bed is clean. It has the full cab... heavy duty springs.. heater, and mirror. It has 113 hrs. New it would be around 15000 and this one is 10,990.</P>

My wife has seen these machines.. but was never present at a test drive... she was today. she was very impressed.. the hydro dump is amazing compared to our electric ones.. The cab and heat was nice also. I was in a more I want to think about it mode and she was lets do it...</P>

They will take my Toro in on trade [I was not sure if buying a used machine...if they would take a trade] They are coming out [maybe] friday to take a look at our trade.</P>

So we will see. The only Kubota add on I KNOW I want is the higher intake.. I am not sure what I am doing for the bed yet?</P>

soooo we will see. : )</P>

</P>

glenn</P>

Well it seems the machine that I had on hold... was already on hold for someone else grrrrr.</P>

So I am back to looking. Unless something else kind of presents itself. I will just wait and buy a new one at my local dealer this spring.</P>

glenn</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
There is a reason somewhere for this.... Might find a better deal , if that dealer is so weak minded to tell you he will hold something for you, being it was really on hold for someone else. YOU NEED ANOTHER DEALER !!!! Sounds like he's a greedy person, or trying holding out for the customer that's willing to pay more. Not trying to sound crappy, but that's the way I feel.....</P>

You will find one, and when you do, let it be the one that YOU want. And at YOUR price.... Don't let the fever make you get tunnel vision.... There is one out there for you .... Being you are not in no big rush to get one, gives you way enough time to search. Might have travel a little, but please don't let anyone or dealer take advantage of your dreams of owning a RTV.... Remember, the dealers want your money as bad as you want the RTV, it will come to you, just might take time for everything to fall in place .....</P>

</P>

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]

There is a reason somewhere for this.... Might find a better deal , if that dealer is so weak minded to tell you he will hold something for you, being it was really on hold for someone else. YOU NEED ANOTHER DEALER !!!! Sounds like he's a greedy person, or trying holding out for the customer that's willing to pay more. Not trying to sound crappy, but that's the way I feel.....</P>

You will find one, and when you do, let it be the one that YOU want. And at YOUR price.... Don't let the fever make you get tunnel vision.... There is one out there for you .... Being you are not in no big rush to get one, gives you way enough time to search. Might have travel a little, but please don't let anyone or dealer take advantage of your dreams of owning a RTV.... Remember, the dealers want your money as bad as you want the RTV, it will come to you, just might take time for everything to fall in place .....</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

Yes I agree there is a reason.. but I am still bummed [for now] I was dreaming of my kubota.. with heat and a cab all night : )</P>

I don't think the dealer is trying to be greedy. I think they just screwed up... the sales person was showing it to me... without checking. I think it was his lunch time...and he got careless... and I agree I think it might be wise to shop elseware.</P>

So I will keep looking... I suspect I will just end up buying new from my local dealer. So for now i will just keep saving my pennys.. </P>

</P>

glenn</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn,I was sorry to hear of your disappointment . I have to agree with Two Guns. That was as we say down here "low down". When my folks and I had an antique shop in central La,on occasion we would"get our wires crossed." Well we would always give that person a real sweet deal on something else he/she wanted. That's what honor is...There are RTV's being traded and sold every day and somewhere there is one with your name on it! I have some infoof interest I will try to email you thru this site. Bordercollie[&]

[quote user="bordercollie"]Glenn,I was sorry to hear of your disappointment . I have to agree with Two Guns. That was as we say down here "low down". When my folks and I had an antique shop in central La,on occasion we would"get our wires crossed." Well we would always give that person a real sweet deal on something else he/she wanted. That's what honor is...There are RTV's being traded and sold every day and somewhere there is one with your name on it! I have some infoof interest I will try to email you thru this site. Bordercollie[&][/quote]</P>

</P>

Well I am over my disapointment... Yes my feelings were also that the dealer should have tried to make me something else for a deal.. to make up for their mistake. But to be fair to the dealer it is a little premature for that. The machine I was interested in is not sold. Someone asked them to hold it... they may or may not buy it. If they do not follow through tomorrow, then I can have it. </P>

If these other people buy it, then I think a good dealer would try to give me something of a deal, to make up for their mistake...So it is a wait and see....</P>

</P>

glenn</P>

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
This conversation is so old that it shouldn't be brought up again, so keep in mind my comments are NOT applicable to the particular transaction discussed above... but … I wanted to comment on the CONCEPT of a seller "holding" something for a buyer or a dealer "sweetening" another deal because a "held" item was "inadvertently" sold to someone else.

First point: Unless Earnest-Money is left on the item... no verbal "hold" has any validity whatsoever. An item is offered for-sale and will be sold to whoever shows up with payment. Claiming to be offended because the item was sold to another buyer who actually stepped up with payment is childishly-naïve. A "hold" is not "lay-a-way" unless money changed hands. At the very most it is merely an intent to advise you that the item is being bought by someone else if you don't immediately make payment.

Second point: If a seller offers you a "sweet deal" as an "apology" for selling a "held item" that no down-payment or security was made.... then that is called "Bait and Switch", plain and simple.
Any "sweet deal" can be made regardless and without any relationship to a deal that was never made in the first place. If the seller can "sweeten" the deal... he can do it anyway, anytime. If a buyer believes he's been given some purchasing advantage simply because he previously expressed an interest in a different item which he never paid for or left security on.... then that's a very naïve buyer and got taken in on both discussions.

Final point: These statements are only my personal opinion. I base them on a career of buying expensive equipment for employers. If a piece of equipment is attractive and I need to discuss it first with my employer/buyer, then I tell the seller that fact. If seller offers to "hold" it... then that's the SELLERS offer and if he violates his statements then THAT is an indication of unreliable character and I will not trust that seller on any other deal.
But if I am the person who initiates a "hold" on an item, then it is incumbent upon ME to put some "skin in the game" (i.e. money or credit card or refundable/non-refundable deposit, etc.) to demonstrate the amount of commitment equal to what I expect of the seller.

It's been my experience in 50 years as a buyer's agent that is the only way to keep everyone committed to honorable behavior... I.E., be honorable myself when I make commitments. The request to the seller to "hold" an item is nothing less than a commitment to "buy" the item... unless and until both parties also agree to advise each-other before any other action is made on that item.

IMO.

Last edited: