cold starting

rtng

Hi, my rtv 900 seems to be getting worse for cold weather starting. I have to use the glowplugs under about 10 celsius, and for a longer time than I used to. Thanks, Rick

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What year RTV do you have and how many hours do you have on it?

How long do you have to keep the glow plugs on? Does it start on first try or do you have to repeat process?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine doesn't like the cold either. :(
I put a block heater on the engine & another on the tranny. That helps a lot. I put the heaters on a timer to come on for about an hour before I expect to need it.

rtng

its a 2005, with about 800 hours. At about 5 c, if i dont use the glowplugs for at least 10 seconds it wont start. second attempt it will..

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That doesn't sound too bad. Heck, when I first start the RTV for the day, even when it's warm outside, I still need to pre-heat the glow plugs.

rtng

I use a lot of diesel on the farm, so it doesnt get old, it comes with additives for cold weather and lubricants... i can live with it if you guys think its normal. Thanks again.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The "B" tractor with pretty much the same engine requires, even on a summer morning, to the count of 10 or so to start. The 900 RTV needs none in the summer with a count of 5 or so...…...For me, I dont count on the "stuff" that the government has decided what to have them put in the fuel. Cetane is good stuff along with a shot of Lucas fuel treatment.....lol....Cant hurt???

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I added the factory block heater on my 05’ 900 and it made a dramatic difference.
Good idea. Mind telling us about what that cost? Do you just turn it on an hour or so before you fire it up or what?

SVG

Good idea. Mind telling us about what that cost? Do you just turn it on an hour or so before you fire it up or what?

I purchased it at Parsons in Kalispell. I don’t remember the exact price but I want to say it was around $75. I did see some online retailers that had a lower price but I didn’t want to wait.

The install was pretty simple. You remove a freeze plug in the cylinder head and drive the heater body in with a large socket (Can’t remember the size).

I have it set to a timer that goes off about an hour before show time. It enabled starting where in the same conditions I needed to add a squirt of starting fluid in the air filter. This obviously isn’t recommended and I only did it once.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I purchased it at Parsons in Kalispell. I don’t remember the exact price but I want to say it was around $75. I did see some online retailers that had a lower price but I didn’t want to wait.

The install was pretty simple. You remove a freeze plug in the cylinder head and drive the heater body in with a large socket (Can’t remember the size).

I have it set to a timer that goes off about an hour before show time. It enabled starting where in the same conditions I needed to add a squirt of starting fluid in the air filter. This obviously isn’t recommended and I only did it once.
Awesome info. Thanks SVG!!!! :tiphat: :clap:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
As for the original poster, try replacing your battery if it is old, I noticed that these little diesels love a good amount of cca. Maybe try a cold start with some jumper cables hooked up to see if there is any difference.

SVG

My sister in law, niece and two nephews live outside kalispell on the Flathead river, beautiful country you live in!

I’m a little south of Kalispell, located in the Swan Valley (Condon). Truly a paradise!

Here’s a pic of the view looking S/E from my property.

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpg
    IMG_6730.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 87

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I’m a little south of Kalispell, located in the Swan Valley (Condon). Truly a paradise!

Here’s a pic of the view looking S/E from my property.

Nice view! they are located north of kalispell, on the way to polebridge, they have a cabin up there too! You are lucky!

quincy

I fitted a sump heater last year and it makes a difference. You simply clean the bottom of the sump with thinners or alcohol and attach the heater pad with double sided tape.
This pad was less than €10 supplied (ebay) so a pretty good investment as far as I'm concerned!
It's 250watts and has a built in thermostat to keep it from overheating.
I must drop a thermocouple down into the oil one of these days to see what temperature it gets to. It seems to keep the whole engine warm, at least, the top of the engine isn't ice cold when I put my hand on it. I guess the warm oil radiates heat up through the engine.

My old bota doesnt like winter but this definitely helps with the cold starts.

I usually leave it plugged into to a wall thermostat. When the air temperature drops below 5°c (41°f), the heater switches on.

Sorry for the bad pic and rust!!

Attachments

• DSC_1158.jpg
    DSC_1158.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 56