Tunes on the go

Mith

What set up have you guys got for listening to music while on the go on the tractor?
I saw a thread on another site, someone had made a neat stereo setup under his canopy. I'm thinking you are going to have to have it pretty loud to hear it over the engine.

I've been wearing good old ear bud headphones under ear muffs, but I'm starting to tire of them, it isnt too comfortable.
What are you guys using?

Ductape

For now, i just sing to myself. Luckily for my neighbors, they usually wouldn't be able to hear me. One day, i'll finally talk Whats-Her-Name into letting me buy that cab tractor w/ air conditioning, heat, and tunes !!!

:bangin:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I use Peltor Worktunes, but the newer models have inputs for an MP3 player. I like them because they are volume limiting and also noise reduction from the tractor. You can still hear what's going on with it, but it's not at a dangerous level.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I strap on my Creative Labs Zen Vision "M" and noise canceling heads phones. There ain't nuttin better than running the FEL rocking out to ZZ Top's La Grange.......:mrgreen:

La Grange

Attachments

• 17178.png
    17178.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 363
Thank ya for the ZZ Top clip. I saw them in 1972 at a little club that held maybe 100 people They were just getting to be "known". I sat literally 5' from the stage and got my ears blown out. It was obvious they were on their way to bigger and better things. Those guys ROCK!

On the topic of what I listen to on the tractor, a set of Peltor "worktunes" noise reduction headphones.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I've seen them live in 4 different decades ................ ummmmmmmmm that's scary .............. ;)

shinnlinger

I like ZZ top as much as the next guy, but I think it is safer to listen to what I am doing ....of course I must admit I am with Ductape in the singing catagory, but no neighbors to worry about in these parts

about a year ar two ago I started wearing ear protection though and it does make nice difference.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I like ZZ top as much as the next guy, but I think it is safer to listen to what I am doing ....of course I must admit I am with Ductape in the singing catagory, but no neighbors to worry about in these parts

about a year ar two ago I started wearing ear protection though and it does make nice difference.

I hear you but you can feel and sense the tractor better. I honestly can say, if with headphones on I'd know there was problem in it's operation.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use Peltor Worktunes, but the newer models have inputs for an MP3 player. I like them because they are volume limiting and also noise reduction from the tractor. You can still hear what's going on with it, but it's not at a dangerous level.

That sounds good. I wish my Worktunes had that. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago when someone on TBN talked about them. The FM radio portion of it broke and the darn things are useless now. If they had the MP3 plug in I could still be using them. As it is, I now use ear protection but no music.

Dawgs setup looks interesting. I'll have to check that out also.

I used to think with ear protection or music playing I might miss hearing a troubleing noise from the tractor. After using both I quickly realized you still hear the problems, they are just a different tone. Kinda cool if you ask me. I have a constant ringing in one of my ears from ZZ Top & other rock concerts I attended up close and personal when I was younger. So I feel the need to protect what hearing I have left.

I saw ZZ Top in 74 with Peter Frampton opening. Frampton was not famous yet and put on an outstanding show. What a great opening act for ZZ Top. It was a show I'll never forget.

DK35vince

I added a am/fm cassette player( from TSC) and speakers up under my canopy.
I also have a wire thats runs to the roll bar behind the operator seat where I can plug in headphones so I don't have to listen to the tractor while I mow.

Attachments

• HPIM0419.JPG
    HPIM0419.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 229

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So Vince, which do you listen to more the speakers or headphones?

DK35vince

So Vince, which do you listen to more the speakers or headphones?
Headphones..
I generally only use the speakers when I'm using the backhoe or doing something where I'm getting on and off the tractor often.
For everything else I use the headphones.
The biggest part of my tractor hours are mowing our lawn and our field.I finish mow around 7 acres of lawn (approx. 3 1/2 hours per week in the summer)and around 8 acres of field 4 or 5 times per year. The radio and headphones work well for mowing. Much nicer listening to music then the tractor roaring.

DK35vince

Just a reminder.
If you have headphones that have a wire plugged into the tractor try and remember to remove the headphones before attempting to walk away from the machine.;)
Been there, done that !!

Archdean

I use a standard AM/FM stereo auto radio with 4 speakers and feed it with a satellite XM RADIO ! I have the same setup in my RTV so I just swap the XM Head form one to the other!

After many hours in the air wearing helmets/headphones I still have good hearing (no doubt on account of) but at my age now it doesn't much matter anymore, so I prefer the Free Air Phones!!:mrgreen: + I like to hear the tractor sounds and often times they are much better than the modern music!! ;)

shinnlinger

My concern isn't so much that I would hear somthing or not, but more if I was drumming on the steering wheel or playing air guitar when I should have been paying attention to the stone wall (or kid!) I'm about to run over. It is the same fear I have of taking my kids on the rig with me. I do it on occasion, but it is always first gear (it can be loud for them too) and I don't feel that good about it.