tree stuck under dock

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A very large tree has lodged itself under my dock and through the end supports. I can't manuver it through the rest of the way. It is to big on the stump end. it is to long to manuver back out the way it came in. Water is lower and it hits bottom way before it clears the end of the dock.
I tried using my chain saw on it today. I could not saw through it. I was hoping for soft wood. The tree evidently has not been in the water real long as it is very hard still. The trunk end is 16" round and the tip through the dock end is 8 to 10".
Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get the tree out other than waiting / hoping for higher water?
The tree itself has become a damn and is holding up all kinds of other debris. Some other big trees are joining the pile up. It's really a mess. I hate to have to jump in the water to undamn it, but it's looking like I'll have to. ....

Last edited:

BoneheadNW

I'm a little confused- if the tree is stuck under your dock, wouldn't you want lower water to be able to free it?
Bone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I actually have room above the tree for the water to rise 12". The water normally fluctuates between where it is now and 6 to 8 inches higher. The big old stump end is closest to the bank where it's shallower. With the water up higher I could float the tree towards the bank and hopefully get the other end out of the end of the dock where it is stuck.
I'll try to remember the camera next time I go down there.

Wannafish

Just git that big boat out there, tie the tow rope to the log and yank 'er out! That should get a little lift on the log also. On second thought...don't yank it. Let your boat idle in gear - increase the speed slightly if needed. between the force of the boat pulling and lifting, and water from the prop washing around the tree I think it'll come right out.

Mith

Doc, you must have a blunt chain on your saw? It should cut through even the hardest wood.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was thinnking it's about time for a new chain. I just hate to use a new one around the water ... but that will probably be the next thing I try.

BoneheadNW

Doc, don't you sharpen your own chains? I have 4 chains that I rotate and sharpen. You can do it in 5 minutes.
Bone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No I don't. I have them sharpened about 3 times and toss them. How much life do you get out of yours? What kinds of sharpening tool do you use? They charge 5 bucks per chain to sharpen them.

BoneheadNW

No I don't. I have them sharpened about 3 times and toss them. How much life do you get out of yours? What kinds of sharpening tool do you use? They charge 5 bucks per chain to sharpen them.

Here is a link to the Stihl file accessories. I have Stihl chains so I just use a file 4-5 strokes per tooth at the *correct* angle and that's it. The Stihl chains have a guide line embedded in each tooth.

I used to pay like $15 per sharpening until I was enlightened.
Bonehead

M

mtntopper

Doc, take a look at the small dremel tool accessories for chain saw sharpening. They take all of the work out of it with their accessories for the electric and battery operated tools. The battery operated chain saw setup can go where you go and dress up your chain as you use it. There are better and much more expensive tools to do this job, but these add on accessories for chain sharpening are cost effective alternatives to the pro stuff.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188575&G=69679&I=69805

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just git that big boat out there, tie the tow rope to the log and yank 'er out! That should get a little lift on the log also. On second thought...don't yank it. Let your boat idle in gear - increase the speed slightly if needed. between the force of the boat pulling and lifting, and water from the prop washing around the tree I think it'll come right out.

Sorry Rick .... I missed your post 1st time around.
But you are right ... the boat idea is out. The problem is that I need to pull the log towards the bank. And ofcourse the long leg of the dock that is parallel to the water is in the way ...plus it is to shallow for even a john boat in that area.
It's going to take a sharp chain and some luck or else two or three of us are going to have to get in the water and wrestle this thing out of there. And the water is very yucky / mucked up so the thought of getting in it is not a good one. :eek:

BoneheadNW

It's going to take a sharp chain and some luck or else two or three of us are going to have to get in the water and wrestle this thing out of there. And the water is very yucky / mucked up so the thought of getting in it is not a good one. :eek:
Count me in- just have some coffee, large towel, and a raisen scone (or two) ready after I get out of the water. Anyone else up for it?
Bonehead

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - I'll loan you my 3 pt chipper and send Tim Taylor to help you mount it on the back of your boat.:hide:

:yankchain: :yankchain:

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would come, but the thought of Bonehead in swimming trunks scares me :eek: :D

Don't scare me like that Mith .... now I'm wondering if Bone would even wear trunks. :eek: I better put up a sign saying No skinny dipping or maybe it should be No Male Skinny Dipping. Yeah, thats better. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As long as your 3ph chipper is submersible I'm sure that would do the trick. I'll have to winch my tractor to a big tree and back it down close to the water ....yeah, that could work. Send it over Jimbo! :D