Unsticking Differential Lever

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In the process of cleaning up the RTV, I noticed my Differential pedal was not catching and just didn't feel right like it wasn't going down but just flexing. I'd pull up on the knob on my 2012 rtv 900 xtr and it wouldn't hold , in fact, it'd hardly pull upward.
First thing I did was use an allen wrench to remove the driver's side panel . Even then , its very tight in there for hands because the old style parking brake lever and hyd lift lever are right in the way .A small part of it is also visible under the radiator flap.I worked the foot pedal and saw that where it was connected to the flat bar where connected to the spring just wasn't moving. I took the spring loose at the bottom and pulled out the little loop pin holding it in a sleeve ( sorta like a bushing) .You can barely see the little loop in in the top edge of the picture. Then I greased where the pin fit in the bushings and put it back on and connected every thing as was. I also squirted some silicon lube grease on the orange holding knob cable and got it to working . I also sprayed lub where I couldn't get to the remaining brackets under the flap and at the very edge of the plastic seat material.I worked the foot pedal several times All is working with ease now. bordercollie

edit. The round bar shown in the picture is part of the foot lever and should be caught by a notch in the flat bar with the spring, when the orange knob is lifted up . Push the floor pedal again and it releases and the orange knob goes back into it's resting place.

Attachments

• KIMG0373.jpg
    KIMG0373.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 89
  • KIMG0372.jpg
    KIMG0372.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably a good idea to cycle the controls a few times a year just to keep thinks working. i need to do this as i never lock the diff.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to add that I mistakenly called my RTV900 a 2012 . I was looking at the title and see that it's a 2011 RTV 900xtr. I think they are the same as far as being the xtr and basic components but wanted to let everyone know. It also takes a 5mm allen wrench to remove those side panels.
It's also a good time if needed to adjust the parking brake . BUT do so just a tiny bit at a time , by loosening the 2 double nuts on that cable and then retightening. Remember though: just a tad at a time :because it's easy to get it" too adjusted" and then your brakes will drag. bordercollie

Reactions: Doc