Excavator seat time

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Drove the excavator over the back 40 to the river this morning. 3/4 mile of seat puckering fun. I had the excavator rocking like a rocking chair more than once. Made me appreciate the skill of the operator who has done major trail improvements and fixed a huge slip on my property. He always made it look so easy an natural.

Attachments

• Jun022020-1.jpg
    Jun022020-1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Jun022020-2.jpg
    Jun022020-2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Jun022020-3.jpg
    Jun022020-3.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Jun022020-4.jpg
    Jun022020-4.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Jun022020-5.jpg
    Jun022020-5.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Jun022020-6.jpg
    Jun022020-6.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 83

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ain't that the truth. and I'm a lame ass operator. And I'm just doing stuff around the property I want done, making trails, removing stumps, pushing over trees. All fun stuff. Digging a pipe line 12 hours a day, day after day I'm sure it would get old. I'm just seeing the good tip of the iceberg. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ItBmine

It's all seat time Doc. I recently left the trucking industry both as an owner and a driver for the last 35 years. I am good with trucks and wheel loaders, but had only done stuff like randomly loading trucks with an excavator through those years.

Now I have a job in a mine and besides the loader I now have to operate the excavator and D6T dozer. I'm lucky that with my job, no one is there pressuring me. It is pretty easy going. So after a few days it is surprising how naturally your hand movements will come to you.
Last time I ever had to run shovel, I was put on a pipeline job with guys in the hole. I HATED that and went back trucking. Now that I have no pressure, I am actually getting way better on it.

Only problem I have now is getting out of the Cat and trying to reverse my hands to run my new Kubota backhoe, LOL20201027_155616.jpg20201027_155928.jpg20201005_175726.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine was set to Cat when I started out and I got used to that. I didn't even know I could switch till another operator who used JD controls showed me. I tried that but didn't care for it. My hands knew the cat control motions and I was used to that. Glad I have the option to switch though as I needed help from the experienced JD operator and he was able to switch to his preference. Very handy.

ItBmine

That Cat's are easily switched, so maybe I'll have to do that now, LOL

I haven't looked at the BH65 on my tractor but the owner of my dealership said it is a real pain to switch lines on it to make it Cat controls.

ItBmine

How's the excavator Doc? Are you getting more comfortable with it? Sometimes they really do feel scary, but it really does take a lot to upset one.

I still say that KX-033 is just about the perfect size to have.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excavator is doing fine. I bought the gear oil for the final gears but still have to get that done. Between finishing up a Kitchen remodel , kids, and boating season I've had minimal seat time. The list of 'to do's' for the excavator are stacking up. Once the rain lets up here I hope to get to it and have some fun. I am feeling more comfortable with it, but still moving slow just to be sure.